MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I bought my second optics ready Shield Plus. I really like the platform and the size. I have had my first one since May and the original 13 round magazine is impossible to load the 13th round in. I bought several other extra magazines and all of the 13 rounders were impossible to get the 13th round in. I was just fine with using them with 12 rounds. The magazine that came with the new gun that I got today loads the 13th round with no problem at all without use of the Maglula loader and it will insert into the gun easily and you can cycle the slide easily. I'm not sure what they did to them, but they are much, much better. I will take it apart when I have time to see if I can see what is different. Really like the Shield Plus platform. This coming from a long time Glock shooter. Probably won't give up all my Glocks, but the Shields will be my carry guns most of the time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with your complaint about loading the 13th round into these mags.

I've had my Shield Plus for about 6 months now. The 13-round mag that came with the gun and a spare I bought from Palmetto State Armory shortly after I got my Shield both require a mag loader to insert the 13th round. Even with the mag loader it's not easy.

I would rather they had made the mag extension say about 1/4" longer or so to make more room for the spring to compress that last little bit.

Love the gun though, shoots great, great trigger, and easy to carry even though I'm physically a small guy.

Question: How do you compare the Shield Plus trigger to the triggers on the Glocks you have?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Today I bought my second optics ready Shield Plus. I really like the platform and the size. I have had my first one since May and the original 13 round magazine is impossible to load the 13th round in. I bought several other extra magazines and all of the 13 rounders were impossible to get the 13th round in. I was just fine with using them with 12 rounds. The magazine that came with the new gun that I got today loads the 13th round with no problem at all without use of the Maglula loader and it will insert into the gun easily and you can cycle the slide easily. I'm not sure what they did to them, but they are much, much better. I will take it apart when I have time to see if I can see what is different. Really like the Shield Plus platform. This coming from a long time Glock shooter. Probably won't give up all my Glocks, but the Shields will be my carry guns most of the time.
I would love to know what differences you find, also if there is any way to tell visually the difference between the old and new without disassembly .

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with your complaint about loading the 13th round into these mags.

I've had my Shield Plus for about 6 months now. The 13-round mag that came with the gun and a spare I bought from Palmetto State Armory shortly after I got my Shield both require a mag loader to insert the 13th round. Even with the mag loader it's not easy.

I would rather they had made the mag extension say about 1/4" longer or so to make more room for the spring to compress that last little bit.

Love the gun though, shoots great, great trigger, and easy to carry even though I'm physically a small guy.

Question: How do you compare the Shield Plus trigger to the triggers on the Glocks you have?
The trigger is definitely lighter than the Glocks, by at least a pound depending on which of my Glocks I compare to. My G48s, I have 2, both have a more definite wall before it breaks. The Shield Plus trigger shoe is more comfortable because it is flat. The Glocks have the sharper edge on the trigger safety. I like the Glock trigger, but these Shield Plus triggers are a cut above the Glock.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Sat down yesterday afternoon to load up my Shield Plus mags. I have six 13 round mags. and one 10 round mag.

I was expecting my thumb tips to be sore this morning as it was a pain trying to do it by hand.

One 13 round magazine took 13 rounds.

Three (I think) 13 round mags would only take 12 rounds.

Two (I think) 13 round mags. would only take 11 rounds.

The 10 round mag was easy to load with 10 rounds.

Unloaded the mag with 13 rounds in it and one of the mags. that just wouldn't depress the rounds in the mag enough to load to full capacity and took them apart. The springs are smaller diameter coils at the top and larger diameter coils about half way down. The mag. that took 13 rounds with no issues was bent slightly different in the smaller coil (upper) section. Bent towards the rear. The spring from the mag that would not allow 13 rounds was straight at the front.

I mention that because of what happened once I got the uplula loader out to use.

I reassembled both magazines and loaded them back to the number of rounds they'd take.

Then I grabbed the uplula and had to lean on it some to get the top rounds to depress in the magazines that would not fully load. Every magazine made a popping noise when the loader force that top round down enough to insert the next round. Just that first time. When the top round was forced down (12 round loaded right after the pop when only 11 were in the magazine) for that last round there was no noise.

I then unloaded one of the magazines that required the uplula to get the 13 rounds into it and reloaded by hand/thumb and it loaded back up to 13 rounds. Tight on the last round, but I could do it without the uplula loader.

Some kind of spring binding going on? At least till you force it to take the full capacity that first time with the mag. loader.

The Shield Plus 13 round mags. are kind of a PITB to disassemble compared to most other magazines. I'm wondering when the spacer will pull apart/break the way you have to pry on it to get the bottom plate to snap loose and move forward.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the newest magazine apart and one of the older ones and compared the parts. I really could not see a difference. Follower and spring both looked the same. I will use the new one that works as my backup mag and use the ones that only hold 12 at the range. Maybe they will loosen up some day. I have not had a big problem getting the 13 rounders apart. Just put a little downward pressure on the sleeve, and a gentle pry with a flat head screwdriver and they slide right off. The 10 round magazines work great right out of the box.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have 11 of the 13 round mags, for my shield plus, and they can definitely be a pain. I have noticed that after time and with a disassemble reassemble of the mag, they will take all 13 rounds. I do use a mag loader on the last 2 or so rounds to get them in, but all of mine will take 13 now.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just ordered 4 more mags for $30.99 each at Primary Arms, great price.
That is a very good price. I am full up on the 13 round mags though.

I have had mine for awhile and agree that after a few months they do load easier. I leave mine fully loaded. But, putting 13 rounds in is no issue. I do need a mag loader though, as I have too much hand arthritis.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That is a very good price. I am full up on the 13 round mags though.

I have had mine for awhile and agree that after a few months they do load easier. I leave mine fully loaded. But, putting 13 rounds in is no issue. I do need a mag loader though, as I have too much hand arthritis.
Arthritis is why I bought more, reloading at the range can make my hands not fit for shooting. The more loaded mags I bring, the more I can shoot.

·
Registered
M&P Springfield S&W
299 Posts
I have one magazine that will only hold 11 rounds
Two only hold 12
The ten round flush fit magazines hold 10

The one that holds 11 is brand new & was using a Glock 43X loader not an Up Lula
I could get 12 in it but could not get the magazine to latch into the pistol, no way
The two that hold 12 are 2-3 months old
I am new to the Plus series & swore I would never get one, as my M2.0 is really all I ever needed
Then that SIG & Hellcat + Glocks & finally thought a PC+ & +OR where in my future

If the springs were weak & had malfunctions, that would be a problem too = Think 380EZ magazines

THESE SPRINGS ARE TIGHT & TAKE TIME TO SET

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going Insane

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just diagnosed the problem and filmed the simple fix at my video below. It does not involve shortening the follower as that just ignores the root problem. It is a design flaw with the follower and the video has a clear view of this flaw. This is not something that "breaking in the gun" will fix. If the video helped you, please give this post and the video a like to help spread the word!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just diagnosed the problem and filmed the simple fix at my video below. It does not involve shortening the follower as that just ignores the root problem. It is a design flaw with the follower and the video has a clear view of this flaw. This is not something that "breaking in the gun" will fix. If the video helped you, please give this post and the video a like to help spread the word!
Great detective work! No doubt that's the issue.

I've had both of mine apart and thought it was some kind of stacking issue with the spring loops, particularly at the bottom. Like you said, when you actually are able to get the 13th round in it would make aloud snap like something was finally unsticking itself. Just couldn't figure out where or what.

Gonna get the Dremel tool out and smooth out one of mine and give it a try.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for that information! That is the problem. I did that on all of my 13 round magazines and now they all work great!

·
Registered
M&P Springfield S&W
299 Posts
This is the MODIFICATION FIX 👍, I just did two of mine that would only hold 11, Now 13 BUT very hard to insert, in fact they have to be pressed into the pistol to latch
I note the newer magazines are the same just have a shinier finish, as I did a brand new in the box one still oiled up inside by SAW
I have two more to do in a while, I used the slow Dremel tool & just held it on my stomach & slowly sanded them ever so slightly
You need to send Smith & Wesson these links & video, they need to modify the mold that makes these followers + these also fit the new Equalizer too & Shield Plus
S&W does need to send a magazine loader with these pistols, either a cheap one like that G thing in my 3rd photo OR the MagLula UpLula like they send with the Equalizer

There is a guy on another forum who lives in Oregon & Tuesday they voted that 10 round magazines are the maximum allowed by law, = Oregon Measure 114
I am trading him my only 10-round magazine for his 13-round magazine
It was the least I could do, I don't use the short magazines on any of my four M&P 3.1" Shields, I have big hands that are old & tired
I have two Shield Plusses & they are both now FIXED!
Purple Wood Font Magenta Desk

BEFORE 👆
Font Finger Material property Magenta Jewellery

AFTER 👆
Wood Rectangle Font Material property Magenta

THANKS @ksack & Welcome to the Forum
Gary/Hk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts