MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an M&P 2.0 4” Compact and Shield Plus. I then purchased two C&H Adapter Plates and a Holosun 507C and Holosun 507K for each respective pistol. My local gunsmith was able to easily do the optic installation on the M&P 2.0 Compact but had issue with the optic installation on the Shield Plus. He said he was unhappy with how it turned out and asked me to email the companies since he noted a sizeable gap, as well as this plate only being held on by 2 screws and no recoil lugs, which was not the case on the set up for the 2.0 Compact.

I emailed C&H and here is their response:

“The way Smith & Wesson put the cut into the Shields they made the front recoil lugs slightly rounder than Glock or Springfield did. This resulted in us having to make larger holes in the plate to accommodate them, which leaves no room for putting recoil lugs onto the plate for the optic to be held with. As for the gap, I agree I do not like the light there, but the frustrating thing is the gap between the optic and the slide.”

I emailed Holosun and here is their response:

“That is not normal. It could be that the Shield slide is out of specification so there’s a gap in the front.”

I emailed S&W CS but I’m waiting on a response. Any thoughts on this?

Here is the picture I sent both companies.

Input device Automotive design Gadget Engineering Font

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is PMTFO that Holosun is refusing to manufacture a Shield RMSc footprint 507. The burgeoning S&W Shield Plus after-marketplace should NOT be ignored. My Shield Plus will stay in its box until I can direct mount an optic with a 30-32 MOA circle around a 3-6 MOA dot. If that MRS comes from a manufacturer other than Holosun, well, TO HELL with Holosun.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Are you telling me the Holosun 507K WILL DIRECT MOUNT to the Shield Plus' optic cut WITHOUT an ADAPTER PLATE? I'm soooooo confused! MULTIPLE other sources tell me that I MUST buy an adapter plate (and spend another fifty-some bucks w/S&H . . . ).
No the 507k will not mount without an adapter plate. I tried it. Shield RMSc will the Swampfox Sentinel will, as will the Romeo 0. I think there is a Crimson Trace that will as well. I tried a Swampfox. It mounted very well, but I had trouble seeing the dot. It was never bright enough. I bought the auto brightness model. It was a nice optic otherwise. I may try the manual brightness model, or the Shield RMSc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No the 507k will not mount without an adapter plate. I tried it. Shield RMSc will the Swampfox Sentinel will, as will the Romeo 0. I think there is a Crimson Trace that will as well. I tried a Swampfox. It mounted very well, but I had trouble seeing the dot. It was never bright enough. I bought the auto brightness model. It was a nice optic otherwise. I may try the manual brightness model, or the Shield RMSc.
My 69 year old eyes can't see those damn little dots, either, Rangerman. THAT is why I NEED that Holosun 507K with 32 MOA Circle surrounding the dot. But, I'd sure like my Shield Plus iron night sights to co-witness through the optic, and, MANY shooters who've mounted their 507K with an adapter plate advise their pistols factory night sights are rendered USELESS with the optic mounted . . . .

·
Registered
74 Posts
My 69 year old eyes can't see those damn little dots, either, Rangerman. THAT is why I NEED that Holosun 507K with 32 MOA Circle surrounding the dot. But, I'd sure like my Shield Plus iron night sights to co-witness through the optic, and, MANY shooters who've mounted their 507K with an adapter plate advise their pistols factory night sights are rendered USELESS with the optic mounted . . . .
I mounted a Holosun 407k on my Shield Plus yesterday. It has a 6 moa dot, which I really like. It did require an adapter plate and you are correct that the iron sights are too low to co-witness. I shot the pistol yesterday and I did try using the groove on the optic with the front sight and it does give a reasonable point of impact that could get you by in an emergency. My 70 year old eyes have been cataract repaired, giving me great distance vision but it starts about 2 arms lengths away, so iron sights are blurry. The optic is the best answer for me. I have studied all of the available optics that will fit this pistol and decided that the Holosun had the best features for my purposes. You may come to a different conclusion, but the Holosun works for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I mounted a Holosun 407k on my Shield Plus yesterday. It has a 6 moa dot, which I really like. It did require an adapter plate and you are correct that the iron sights are too low to co-witness. I shot the pistol yesterday and I did try using the groove on the optic with the front sight and it does give a reasonable point of impact that could get you by in an emergency. My 70 year old eyes have been cataract repaired, giving me great distance vision but it starts about 2 arms lengths away, so iron sights are blurry. The optic is the best answer for me. I have studied all of the available optics that will fit this pistol and decided that the Holosun had the best features for my purposes. You may come to a different conclusion, but the Holosun works for me.

Hey, Rangerman . . . I attached a quote from the S&W marketing pitch for the Shield Plus. After I'd purchased my Shield Plus, I was FLOORED to discover that the Holosun 507K was in that 20% minority of MRDs that are NOT Shield SMS footprint and will NOT direct mount on the Shield Plus . . . .
I was SOLD on the 507K BEFORE I chose the Shield Plus over the Springfield Hellcat and Glock P365. For me, the Shield Plus beat those other two VERY strong competitors mostly because of its superior trigger. If I had known at the time of purchase that a Holosun 507K would NOT direct mount, I would've bought the Glock.
Have you SEEN the sight picture through a 507K? I'm happy for you that you're pleased with your 6 MOA dot 407K, but, I can't make myself SETTLE for ANYTHING other than the 507K - UNLESS someone/ANYONE else gives me that 32 MOA circle around the "bull" in a Shield SMS footprint!

"Your new favorite Shield Plus is ready to go straight out of the box. Whether you plan to run an optic or use the traditional iron sights, you decide. The optic choice is yours, choose from any Shield SMS optic footprint which covers up to 80% of the micro compact red dot optics on the market"

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey, Rangerman . . . I attached a quote from the S&W marketing pitch for the Shield Plus. After I'd purchased my Shield Plus, I was FLOORED to discover that the Holosun 507K was in that 20% minority of MRDs that are NOT Shield SMS footprint and will NOT direct mount on the Shield Plus . . . .
I was SOLD on the 507K BEFORE I chose the Shield Plus over the Springfield Hellcat and Glock P365. For me, the Shield Plus beat those other two VERY strong competitors mostly because of its superior trigger. If I had known at the time of purchase that a Holosun 507K would NOT direct mount, I would've bought the Glock.
Have you SEEN the sight picture through a 507K? I'm happy for you that you're pleased with your 6 MOA dot 407K, but, I can't make myself SETTLE for ANYTHING other than the 507K - UNLESS someone/ANYONE else gives me that 32 MOA circle around the "bull" in a Shield SMS footprint!

"Your new favorite Shield Plus is ready to go straight out of the box. Whether you plan to run an optic or use the traditional iron sights, you decide. The optic choice is yours, choose from any Shield SMS optic footprint which covers up to 80% of the micro compact red dot optics on the market"
I have a 507k on a Glock 48 so I am very familiar with that reticle. I find myself using just the dot on that reticle most of the time. I like the circle dot for speed but it is not as precise as the dot alone. That is why I chose the 6 moa dot of the 407k. It is just as fast as the circle dot for me, but a little more precise. I am disappointed that Holosun does not use the exact footprint of the Shield RMSc so it would mount without a adapter plate. I am willing to put up with that to get the features of the Holosun optic line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts