MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
SD9VE/M&P9S+/M&P9C M2.0
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just a quick question. I noticed with my Shield plus I tend to shoot left a lot, I figured it's me since I'm a fairly new shooter. But last night I noticed my sights seem to be shifted slight right, the front more than the rear. Is it possible my sights could have shifted during shipping or is it lined up like that from the factory so it's sighted in properly?
Rectangle Gadget Material property Metal Fashion accessory

Camera accessory Gun accessory Fashion accessory Macro photography Font

Wood Automotive exterior Rectangle Font Metal

Font Circle Automotive tire Recreation Pattern

Eye Automotive tire Iris Rim Circle

I wouldn't be surprised if it's just me and my trigger control or grip, I am still learning. But I thought I would ask out of curiousity.

· Registered
Gen1 Shield 9mm
106 Posts
It does look like your sight is slightly off to the right from the factory. Probably happens more than you'd imagine from all manufacturers that mass produce firearms. Doubtful that it shifted during shipping. It'd have to be real loose to do that.

Reactions: muirdanielm

· Registered
SD9VE/M&P9S+/M&P9C M2.0
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does look like your sight is slightly off to the right from the factory. Probably happens more than you'd imagine from all manufacturers that mass produce firearms. Doubtful that it shifted during shipping. It'd have to be real loose to do that.
It seems nice and snug. Could I just tap it a little left with a punch? The rear sight seems slightly right to me too but I don't want to start messing with stuff and eff it all up.

· Registered
Gen1 Shield 9mm
106 Posts
I'm by no means an expert but, you could probably tap it to center with a brass punch. Tap the base and not the blade portion. You'll probably need to put the slide in a vice.

My gunsmith put some blue loctite around the four sides of the base of the sight after getting it aligned to prevent shifting when he installed aftermarket sights on my Shield.

Reactions: Rick M

· Registered
3,068 Posts
So just a quick question. I noticed with my Shield plus I tend to shoot left a lot, I figured it's me since I'm a fairly new shooter. But last night I noticed my sights seem to be shifted slight right, the front more than the rear. Is it possible my sights could have shifted during shipping or is it lined up like that from the factory so it's sighted in properly? View attachment 20322

View attachment 20323

View attachment 20325

View attachment 20327

View attachment 20328

I wouldn't be surprised if it's just me and my trigger control or grip, I am still learning. But I thought I would ask out of curiousity.
Center both sights, and I’ll bet that takes care of it. 👍

Al the M&Ps that I’ve worked on had the rear sight set with a bit of red LocTite. So; use a soldering iron and put some heat on that rear sight set screw before you try to move it. Loosen the set screw too (of course).

· Registered
Five M&P Shields
575 Posts
These sights are known for being very tight & not really fit but just pressed in with a fixture.
I have removed several rear sights but never tried a front one YET!
Only did this to gain access to the striker safety plunger & spring + retainer. 👇
Guitar Guitar accessory String instrument accessory Musical instrument accessory Bumper

As stated by @Rick M , use a soldering iron to heat the set screw to help the red Loctite free up & use the right size Allen wrench, I have seen two sizes so far on the Shields.
Purple Wood Material property Indoor games and sports Font

NOTE: The number under the rear sight + the spring & retainer
I cut a piece of credit card to hold the parts assembled together & then tapped them with a brass punch covered with blue painter's tape.. It works.. 👇
Purple Sewing machine needle Sewing machine Sewing Sewing machine feet

· Administrator
1,130 Posts
So just a quick question. I noticed with my Shield plus I tend to shoot left a lot, I figured it's me since I'm a fairly new shooter. But last night I noticed my sights seem to be shifted slight right, the front more than the rear. Is it possible my sights could have shifted during shipping or is it lined up like that from the factory so it's sighted in properly? View attachment 20322

View attachment 20323

View attachment 20325

View attachment 20327

View attachment 20328

I think it is more likely you. I have a 4" and two 3" Shield Plus guns. The 4" shoots perfectly. The 3 inch ones, I sometime shoot to the left. Tight groups, but to the left.

I thought the sights were off, but then the next range trip, I shot it fine... Range trip after that, I pulled to the left again.

All three have the same frame... So, I don't know why this sometimes happens with the 3 inch Shield Pluses, but not the 4" one. It IS me.

I did have this issue with my original Shields too. I think I am pulling the gun when I pull the trigger. I KNOW it isn't the sights, because it doesn't do it everytime.

· Registered
3,068 Posts
These sights are known for being very tight & not really fit but just pressed in with a fixture.
I have removed several rear sights but never tried a front one YET!
Only did this to gain access to the striker safety plunger & spring + retainer. 👇
View attachment 20363
As stated by @Rick M , use a soldering iron to heat the set screw to help the red Loctite free up & use the right size Allen wrench, I have seen two sizes so far on the Shields.
View attachment 20364
NOTE: The number under the rear sight + the spring & retainer
I cut a piece of credit card to hold the parts assembled together & then tapped them with a brass punch covered with blue painter's tape.. It works.. 👇
View attachment 20365
The Apex parts come with a nylon dovetail of the right size to use to hold the retainer cover in place (along with the striker block and spring underneath it) while the rear sight is being drifted back into place.

· Registered
SD9VE/M&P9S+/M&P9C M2.0
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think it is more likely you. I have a 4" and two 3" Shield Plus guns. The 4" shoots perfectly. The 3 inch ones, I sometime shoot to the left. Tight groups, but to the left.

I thought the sights were off, but then the next range trip, I shot it fine... Range trip after that, I pulled to the left again.

All three have the same frame... So, I don't know why this sometimes happens with the 3 inch Shield Pluses, but not the 4" one. It IS me.

I did have this issue with my original Shields too. I think I am pulling the gun when I pull the trigger. I KNOW it isn't the sights, because it doesn't do it everytime.
I actually ordered a 9mm laser bore sight today. Hopefully it's not junk, from what I read I load it in a magazine and chamber it like a real round so it seats properly. Like I said i am a new shooter so it probably is entirely me, hopefully the laser will give the definitive proof.
Chin Facial expression Jaw Sleeve Gesture

· Registered
Five M&P Shields
575 Posts
I actually ordered a 9mm laser bore sight today. Hopefully it's not junk, from what I read I load it in a magazine and chamber it like a real round so it seats properly. Like I said i am a new shooter so it probably is entirely me, hopefully the laser will give the definitive proof.
View attachment 20368
I bought one of those in 5.56/.223 & used it to zero in my AR-15's red dot
Worked fantastic, mounted rifle in padded vise & had the dot on a target 40 feet away.
I should have bought one in 9mm 40 S&W & 45acp too... 👍
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory
Rectangle Sunglasses Font Everyday carry Gun accessory

MAGAzine from 2020 :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
SD9VE/M&P9S+/M&P9C M2.0
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought one of those in 5.56/.223 & used it to zero in my AR-15's red dot
Worked fantastic, mounted rifle in padded vise & had the dot on a target 40 feet away.
I should have bought one in 9mm 40 S&W & 45acp too... 👍 View attachment 20372 View attachment 20373
MAGAzine from 2020 :ROFLMAO:
I found the 9mm one on Amazon for $10.99, so hopefully it actually work lol

· Registered
Five M&P Shields
575 Posts
When I sight in a dot sight; I just set it right on top of my front sight; with the front and rear sights properly alligned.
On the AR-15/M4 it doesn't have ANY iron sights YET & wanted to zero the red dot to the laser pointer
Worked out GR8 BTW
On my pistols I did just as @Rick M suggests & had 100% success
Hand Photograph Trigger Air gun Revolver

This is my Hellcat, didn't have a photo of the Shield Plus OR
Then I U Knoched the rear polymer part of the optic to allow for more co-witness, it worked great
Purple Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel Wood

· Registered
4 Posts
Until you bench the gun at a known distance with ammo of a known quantity, drifting the sights would be premature and counter productive. Until you eliminate as many variables as possible, you won't know if the gun is mechanically accurate/sound. Until you establish that, then you can mess around with the sights and bring them to zero.

· Registered
1 Posts
So just a quick question. I noticed with my Shield plus I tend to shoot left a lot, I figured it's me since I'm a fairly new shooter. But last night I noticed my sights seem to be shifted slight right, the front more than the rear. Is it possible my sights could have shifted during shipping or is it lined up like that from the factory so it's sighted in properly? View attachment 20322 View attachment 20323 View attachment 20325 View attachment 20327 View attachment 20328 I wouldn't be surprised if it's just me and my trigger control or grip, I am still learning. But I thought I would ask out of curiousity.
Unfortunately is you, keep practicing, and squeeze that trigger very slowly, and you should see a difference 💪😎👍

· Registered
29 Posts
Pleas take the advice of edkron85 before you begin knocking your sights around. Yes they are indeed not centered on the slide. Just take the time and effort to confirm the issue by shooting from a arest or a bag. If/when you need to move the sights....after warming the rear sight set screw and loosening it (using a soldering iron was good advice) you should be able to drift the rear sight with a brass punch and a hammer. As noted..work at the sight's base. then run your shooting tests again...shooting from a rest or a bag. Drifting the front sight is often difficult with a punch and hammer. Remember...drift at the base. If you cannot get it to move it is probably time to visit your friendly smith. You could center both sights and then re-shoot. There is nothing wrong with that...but I prefer the one at a time approach. Good luck sir and let us know how it all works out.

· Registered
3,068 Posts
Two of my M&Ps came with rear sights that weren’t centered.
I didn’t need to shoot them first to see if they were centered; they weren’t.

I own a fair number of pistols, and exactly NONE ever needed a sight to be set off-center of the slide/barrel to make it shoot correctly.
Proper trigger pull and sight alignment most often take care of any new gun “sight” problems…

1 - 20 of 22 Posts