MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a base shield plus that has a thumb safety with a red dot? How did you get that set up?

I have a G1 shield that's great. The only thing I don't like about the shield plus is the price tag. But its got a better trigger, higher capacity, and it fits all the holsters I have for my other shield.

I recently saw some videos about having a red dot on a carry gun so I went to build a pistol on the S&W website. Unfortunately they only have a option for a red dot on the PC models. When I select the option for a red dot it automatically choses no thumb safety!

I carry with the safety off but still prefer to have it on gun if I can.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a shield Plus with thumb safety and I sent the slide to DPcustom woks to have them mill for an optic cut to fit a Holosun 507k. It’s only been a few weeks, so I haven’t gotten it back yet, but I will say that Doug is awesome.

I had a ton of questions and he was great in responding back and answering them. His patience and customer service alone has been top notch. I also checked other forums and sites for reviews, and he has a great reputation with some really nice pics of the work he has done.

Here’s a link- M&P & Shield Optic Cut | DP Custom Works

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Does anyone have a base shield plus that has a thumb safety with a red dot? How did you get that set up?

I have a G1 shield that's great. The only thing I don't like about the shield plus is the price tag. But its got a better trigger, higher capacity, and it fits all the holsters I have for my other shield.

I recently saw some videos about having a red dot on a carry gun so I went to build a pistol on the S&W website. Unfortunately they only have a option for a red dot on the PC models. When I select the option for a red dot it automatically choses no thumb safety!

I carry with the safety off but still prefer to have it on gun if I can.
I carry with the safety off on any of my striker fired pistols that don’t need one; which is all of them that came with a safety.
I’ve never heard of anyone wanting a manual safety, that he doesn't plan on using.

·
Registered
600 Posts
If I could find a red dot made in the USA that is as reliable as the Holosun and not over $300, I would definitely consider it. At least the other 4 items pictured (not inluding my hand lol) are made in the USA
View attachment 18122
So to save $120 you are happy to support communist china as opposed to the country you live in?

That's the part I can't comprehend. Why people are happy to support other countries to save a few pennies?

·
Registered
24 Posts
So to save $120 you are happy to support communist china as opposed to the country you live in?

That's the part I can't comprehend. Why people are happy to support other countries to save a few pennies?
I’ve never once sat back with glee knowing an item I bought came from another country. Perhaps it would be easier for you to comprehend if you didn’t assume others were actually doing happy dances when they bought products not American made as well.

Also go back and read my post where I was more concerned with reliability. These optics are not toys, they are designed to help get on target quicker and with more accuracy, which could possibly be the difference in me being able to walk away from a situation where I ever had to draw my firearm.

If you were in a situation where you had to defend yourself, would you choose the tool made outside the US, that you were confident would work, or would you choose tool number 2 that was made in the US, but eh, worked most of the time?

·
Registered
600 Posts
I’ve never once sat back with glee knowing an item I bought came from another country. Perhaps it would be easier for you to comprehend if you didn’t assume others were actually doing happy dances when they bought products not American made as well.

Also go back and read my post where I was more concerned with reliability. These optics are not toys, they are designed to help get on target quicker and with more accuracy, which could possibly be the difference in me being able to walk away from a situation where I ever had to draw my firearm.

If you were in a situation where you had to defend yourself, would you choose the tool made outside the US, that you were confident would work, or would you choose tool number 2 that was made in the US, but eh, worked most of the time?
Sorry but you need to be educated on this topic.

Trijicon and Leupold have made red dots for handguns for over a decade, halosun a couple years.
Trijicon and Leupold, the most reliable red dots made. Halosun, meh they usually work.

I have run RDS since 2016 on my edc and competition guns, so I have a vague idea how they work. I've seen more halosun malfunctions in classes and at competitions than Trijicon or Leupold, so there goes your reliability argument.

You realize the twits on YouTube pushing that product are paid to do so, right?

You and many others are constantly posting about and posting pictures of their Chinese products. So yes I would consider that a happy dance.
I see on many forums all the happy Chinese sight owners telling others to buy the chinese product they did.

That is why I asked the question I did.

I am apparently the odd person. I buy GM vehicles because their corporate office (where profits goes) is near my house. Same with Trijicon. Same with all possible products. I had to buy a phone recently, guess what, I went out of my way to make sure it wasn't a Chinese phone or Chinese company.

You might not have noticed but China has tanked our economy, put thousands of small businesses out of business, so I go out of my way to NOT support them.

It's unfortunate I'm in the minority on that thought.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry but you need to be educated on this topic.

Trijicon and Leupold have made red dots for handguns for over a decade, halosun a couple years.
Trijicon and Leupold, the most reliable red dots made. Halosun, meh they usually work.

I have run RDS since 2016 on my edc and competition guns, so I have a vague idea how they work. I've seen more halosun malfunctions in classes and at competitions than Trijicon or Leupold, so there goes your reliability argument.
I personally know people that have had reliability issues with both Trjicon and Leupold, and I could find hundreds of reviews out there from people that have had issues as well. Just because you have had positive experiences with both hardly negates my argument or those that also would question their reliability.

You realize the twits on YouTube pushing that product are paid to do so, right?
Yup. YouTube videos are great for seeing how something works and for entertainment value. No plans to buy something based on a review I saw there however.

You and many others are constantly posting about and posting pictures of their Chinese products. So yes I would consider that a happy dance.
I see on many forums all the happy Chinese sight owners telling others to buy the chinese product they did.
That is why I asked the question I did.
I can’t speak for others, but my pic I posted was to primarily showcase my Shield Plus now being optic ready and the various other modifications added. If my red dot was a $20 cheap Amazon knock off, I still would have posted the pic.
I am apparently the odd person. I buy GM vehicles because their corporate office (where profits goes) is near my house. Same with Trijicon. Same with all possible products. I had to buy a phone recently, guess what, I went out of my way to make sure it wasn't a Chinese phone or Chinese company.

You might not have noticed but China has tanked our economy, put thousands of small businesses out of business, so I go out of my way to NOT support them.

It's unfortunate I'm in the minority on that thought.
I do appreciate your stance on this. My car is American made and I do try to support American companies, specifically local mom and pop stores.

That being said; if you took an inventory of items around your home or at the local shopping centers, grocery stores etc., you might be surprised to see just how many products were made outside of the US and particularly in China. From clothes, to accessories, to food, to even toilet paper and paper napkins, it’s mind boggling to see the amount of those every day household products not made in the US.

I don’t think anyone would disagree with you that China has had a significant hand in our economy, but someone saying they go out of their way to avoid high dollar products from China, yet could potentially buy enough smaller dollar products from them that might eventually wind up totaling more dollars going their way, just sounds a bit hypocritical to me. I’m sure that was not your intent, and I’m not trying to knock you, but hopefully you see what I’m taking about

·
Registered
600 Posts
I personally know people that have had reliability issues with both Trjicon and Leupold, and I could find hundreds of reviews out there from people that have had issues as well. Just because you have had positive experiences with both hardly negates my argument or those that also would question their reliability.

Yup. YouTube videos are great for seeing how something works and for entertainment value. No plans to buy something based on a review I saw there however.

I can’t speak for others, but my pic I posted was to primarily showcase my Shield Plus now being optic ready and the various other modifications added. If my red dot was a $20 cheap Amazon knock off, I still would have posted the pic.
I do appreciate your stance on this. My car is American made and I do try to support American companies, specifically local mom and pop stores.

That being said; if you took an inventory of items around your home or at the local shopping centers, grocery stores etc., you might be surprised to see just how many products were made outside of the US and particularly in China. From clothes, to accessories, to food, to even toilet paper and paper napkins, it’s mind boggling to see the amount of those every day household products not made in the US.

I don’t think anyone would disagree with you that China has had a significant hand in our economy, but someone saying they go out of their way to avoid high dollar products from China, yet could potentially buy enough smaller dollar products from them that might eventually wind up totaling more dollars going their way, just sounds a bit hypocritical to me. I’m sure that was not your intent, and I’m not trying to knock you, but hopefully you see what I’m taking about
When I said I go out if my way to avoid China, I mean it.
I buy carhartt pants and coats they are a MI company making their pants and coats in malaysia, boots are from Taiwan, shirts are actually MI made. Toilet paper you might have me there, I never looked into that.
My new phone is from a Korean company made in Vietnam, because there are no more american made phones and I believe Apple is the last American company but their products are made in china. I used to buy Motorola, but they are now China owned, so 30 years of supporting them has ended.

I am shocked you think Trijicon fails more than halosun. I've taken classes all over the country and have seen three Trijicon fail. Where I've probably seen two dozen halosun failures.
My definition of failure is the shooter raises the gun to eye level and the RDS is NOT working. Two of the three Trijicon failures were from the idiot user not changing the battery, but failure is failure.
That is not anonymous internet reviews, but actual my eyes saw it happen.

Thanks for the discussion, I had to ask because I see 10 halosun posts for every one Trijicon or Leupold, and it is starting to make me think everyone gave up on supporting this country.

ETA: My wife just got back from Kroger (grocery store), so I looked at the toilet paper. We have used this brand for a long time, so it was NOT planned but it says made in the USA with domestic and imported materials.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When I said I go out if my way to avoid China, I mean it.
I will give credit where credit is due, and it is commendable you have invested time into finding out where the products you buy are coming from.
I am shocked you think Trijicon fails more than halosun. I've taken classes all over the country and have seen three Trijicon fail. Where I've probably seen two dozen halosun failures.
My definition of failure is the shooter raises the gun to eye level and the RDS is NOT working. Two of the three Trijicon failures were from the idiot user not changing the battery, but failure is failure.
That is not anonymous internet reviews, but actual my eyes saw it happen.

Thanks for the discussion, I had to ask because I see 10 halosun posts for every one Trijicon or Leupold, and it is starting to make me think everyone gave up on supporting this country.
I never once said Trijicon fails more than Holosun, I said I personally know people that have had issues with both Trijicon and Leupold. These are not "internet buddies", but people I actually know and have a lot more knowledge and experience than I do.

In regard to seeing 10 Holosun posts to every Trijicon or Leupold post; I would place a little of that blame on both of those companies themselves. Let's say someone is interested in buying their first red dot. They do some research seeing what their best options are. When they do some research on Trijicon, they see that the cheapest RMRc option would be between $425-$475 (that's $200 more than the Holosun 507K and $250 more than 6MOA Holosun 407K)

Then they find out that they also have to buy a sealing plate for an additional $10, and then also have to buy a mounting plate for yet another $100 plus dollars? They may wind up spending almost $600 for a base model Trijicon with accessories, when they can buy almost three 407k instead. If Trijjicon wants to keep their red dot at $450-$500, that's their choice- but at least throw in the seal plate and make it so that people don't need to spend another $100 for a mounting plate. If I have an optic ready or milled slide already, why do I now also need a mounting plate to get the optic to fit? That's definitely not new user friendly.

I could be wrong, but when it comes to micro red dots, I don't think Leupold makes anything for those single stack firearms. I know there is the Deltapoint micro, but besides only being available for Glocks and S&W's, it's more of a mounting optic that you have to remove your rear sights to be able to install. I can see it looking pretty weird and not all that useful to a newer shooter.

Besides Holosun's much cheaper price point, they also appear to be doing the most to gain newer shooters getting into red dots, with their constant innovation. The option to change from a 2MOA dot only to a 32MOA with the 2MOA dot in the middle, was very smart; especially for the people not too experienced using red dots.

The new 507C ACSS that came out recently with the Vulcan reticle is pure genius. If you are not familiar with that model, honestly just search 507c acss vulcan. No matter how much one may dislike Holosun, it is very hard to ignore just how innovative that is and how it could change the game completely when it comes to people that are getting into red dots.

In my opinion, those details alone have a lot to do with the multitude of Holosun posts you see all over the place

·
Registered
600 Posts
I will give credit where credit is due, and it is commendable you have invested time into finding out where the products you buy are coming from.

I never once said Trijicon fails more than Holosun, I said I personally know people that have had issues with both Trijicon and Leupold. These are not "internet buddies", but people I actually know and have a lot more knowledge and experience than I do.

In regard to seeing 10 Holosun posts to every Trijicon or Leupold post; I would place a little of that blame on both of those companies themselves. Let's say someone is interested in buying their first red dot. They do some research seeing what their best options are. When they do some research on Trijicon, they see that the cheapest RMRc option would be between $425-$475 (that's $200 more than the Holosun 507K and $250 more than 6MOA Holosun 407K)

Then they find out that they also have to buy a sealing plate for an additional $10, and then also have to buy a mounting plate for yet another $100 plus dollars? They may wind up spending almost $600 for a base model Trijicon with accessories, when they can buy almost three 407k instead. If Trijjicon wants to keep their red dot at $450-$500, that's their choice- but at least throw in the seal plate and make it so that people don't need to spend another $100 for a mounting plate. If I have an optic ready or milled slide already, why do I now also need a mounting plate to get the optic to fit? That's definitely not new user friendly.

I could be wrong, but when it comes to micro red dots, I don't think Leupold makes anything for those single stack firearms. I know there is the Deltapoint micro, but besides only being available for Glocks and S&W's, it's more of a mounting optic that you have to remove your rear sights to be able to install. I can see it looking pretty weird and not all that useful to a newer shooter.

Besides Holosun's much cheaper price point, they also appear to be doing the most to gain newer shooters getting into red dots, with their constant innovation. The option to change from a 2MOA dot only to a 32MOA with the 2MOA dot in the middle, was very smart; especially for the people not too experienced using red dots.

The new 507C ACSS that came out recently with the Vulcan reticle is pure genius. If you are not familiar with that model, honestly just search 507c acss vulcan. No matter how much one may dislike Holosun, it is very hard to ignore just how innovative that is and how it could change the game completely when it comes to people that are getting into red dots.

In my opinion, those details alone have a lot to do with the multitude of Holosun posts you see all over the place
The halosun acss unit you're talking about is primary arms reticle, they partnered with halosun since primary arms doesn't have their own manufacturing plants.

I only have one RMRcc but I don't have a sealing plate or a mounting plate under it. I refuse to buy generic one size fits all factory cuts, that might be why.
I have 4 full size RMR's and none of them have sealing or mounting plates either.
The sealing plate is a waste of $10.00 unless you go swimming with your gun. I have carried a full size M&P daily with an RMR since 2016 with no plates and have had no issues.

As to price. Trijicon is a Michigan company paying Michigan cost of living pay rates to their employees. Halosun is a Chinese company making sights in China paying sweat shop rates.
To me the extra money is a no brainier. Halosun copies others work, so they aren't paying big money for research either.

As to the circle dot reticle, halosun copied from another Michigan company, Eotech.

My guess is the 10 to 1 posts I see is because gun owners as a group are cheap.
Look at S&W putting Chinese made red dots on their factory guns. Yes they own crimson trace, but how many complaints are we seeing about the cheap sight breaking (look at the big S&W forum).
Springfield uses Chinese sights on their factory guns as does Sig.
It is disgusting to me but as you said people won't pay for American made.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do you buy TV, computers, cell phones? If so chances are either some or all of those components are not American made. Because it's assembled in USA doesn't make it totally American made. Hell your American made car has Chinese components. That's the chip shortage at the moment. Unless all materials are made and produced in our country it's not 100% made here. And if it has an electronic component chances are it's not.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
600 Posts
Do you buy TV, computers, cell phones? If so chances are either some or all of those components are not American made. Because it's assembled in USA doesn't make it totally American made. Hell your American made car has Chinese components. That's the chip shortage at the moment. Unless all materials are made and produced in our country it's not 100% made here. And if it has an electronic component chances are it's not.

Samsung refuses anytging from china so TV, monitor, phone, are all Samsung.
Alien gear makes custom computers in FL, tell them you want the most American product available and that what you get. If it has a China part because no American part is made, I can't really help that.

The point of the original post was is american products are available, why do you buy China products from a China company.

As to vehicles (living in MI I love this topic) my Silverado has 49% US parts (that number is from the window sticker) but it was assembled in MI and their headquarters where profits go us 20 minutes from my house, mean I'm keeping as many US residents working as possible.
If the electronics came from china, how can I control that?
I could go buy a foreign car assembled in the US, but profits go overseas so why do that?

I can control what optic I buy for my guns though, that is a very easy decision for anyone to make.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I live in Ohio and my Honda was assembled in Ohio does that make it american? And as far as Samsung is concerned my point was its still not American. Most electronics are not 100% American so you can make any argument you want when it comes to electronics. Bottom line for the most part your not getting 100% American.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I live in Ohio and my Honda was assembled in Ohio does that make it american? And as far as Samsung is concerned my point was its still not American. Most electronics are not 100% American so you can make any argument you want when it comes to electronics. Bottom line for the most part your not getting 100% American.

No Honda is not American, it's Japanese because that's where most of the money goes.
If you have a need to talk with the CEO of Honda, could you? The CEO of Chevrolet is 20 minutes from me and speaks English. Does that answer your question about your vehicle?
That is a choice you made to support Japan.

Seeing you were from Ohio I said what I did in my last post assuming you had a Honda and would argue that.

As for Samsung, there are zero phones made in the US anymore.
So since Samsung is from a country that is an ally and does not use Chinese parts, I buy that. Same with TV's, monitors, etc. If I knew of an american phone I would gladly buy it, but my research shows it doesn't exist.

Again the point you are not getting is Trijicon is as USA as possible, Halosun is as Chinese as possible.

People make decisions, I asked why people knowingly support foreign companies when they don't have to.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I really don't know why it's any of your business how or what people spend their money on as you really don't have to understand why.

I do spend a lot of my money on American made as much as possible. For instance my cars, I drive 80 miles a day for my job so that is what my Honda is for however I also have a 2021 chevy blazer too. As for my holosun optic I could have purchased a trijicon rmrcc instead sure. I just don't think by spending 2x as much that I am getting 2x the value for that optic. I made a choice and went with it.

Now there is your answer from me and I'm now done with this conversation.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I really don't know why it's any of your business how or what people spend their money on as you really don't have to understand why.

I do spend a lot of my money on American made as much as possible. For instance my cars, I drive 80 miles a day for my job so that is what my Honda is for however I also have a 2021 chevy blazer too. As for my holosun optic I could have purchased a trijicon rmrcc instead sure. I just don't think by spending 2x as much that I am getting 2x the value for that optic. I made a choice and went with it.

Now there is your answer from me and I'm now done with this conversation.

I asked a question, you answered, so I believe that would be how it became my business. It really is that easy.

You are aware Chevy and Ford have high fuel economy vehicles, right?

If you are happy supporting China, good for you. The RMRcc is NOT 2x as much money, but if saying that makes you feel better supporting the enemy, have at it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts