MP-Pistol Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
It is disgusting to me but as you said people won't pay for American made.
That's not an accurate statement. I highly doubt most people won't pay for American made; like they go out of their way to make sure what they buy was not made in America.
As to price. Trijicon is a Michigan company paying Michigan cost of living pay rates to their employees. Halosun is a Chinese company making sights in China paying sweat shop rates.
To me the extra money is a no brainier. Halosun copies others work, so they aren't paying big money for research either
Holosun has a corporate office in California with any where from 9-50 American employees working there (based on projections from Linkedin). If someone needs to send their Holosun in for warranty work, you think they are sending it to China for repair? These are also American employees that are working to support their American families.

Just to put things into perspective on why some people may really want to buy a Trijicon optic, but just can't justify the cost- I will use myself as an example. Besides my Shield Plus that I sent my slide out to have milled for a red dot, I also own three other single stack firearms that all came optic ready out of the box. (Sig P365XL, Ruger Max-9, and Springfield XD-S Mod 2 OSP)

Obviously I bought these 4 firearms with the intent of buying a red dot optic.

If I decided to buy 4 of the Holosun 407K 6MOA red dots, they would cost about $200 each. They would fit out of the box and would easily be installed using the tool that comes with the optic. (in all fairness, the XD-S did need to have the lugs filed down with a dremel , but that took less than 10 minutes and I already owned a $30 dremel set)

If I decided to buy a Trijicon, the cost would be around $450 each. I checked, and each one of my firearms must have a mounting plate added for the Trijicon to even fit.(even though all 4 firearms are already milled and optic ready) That will run me about $100 each based on Trijicon's website. Because the mounting plate sits as high as it does, I will not be able to use my current sights and will have to go out and buy suppressor height sights. Good ones will cost me about $100, but let's just say I was able to find decent ones for $75 each. Assuming I can change my own sights and don't need the extra expense of a gunsmith( that others in a similar situation may need ), the total per firearm for the red dot, the mounting plate, and the new sights will be $625- per firearm- total being $2,500 just for the red dot and accessories

I bought all 4 firearms brand spanking new, and the cost for all was a little over $1,800- combined. I am truly glad Trijicon pays their employees top dollar, but based on the excessive costs for the red dot, the absurdity of paying that much and then having to buy a mounting plate, AND lose my iron sights completely where I have to buy new sights? Each employee must be retiring as millionaires.

So $800 for 4 Holsuns or $2,500 for 4 Trijicons- do you think I am going out of my way to not buy American, or do you think I should just go ahead and willingly fork over $2,500 to a company that is really doesn't seem all that interested in building their clientele?

·
Registered
606 Posts
That's not an accurate statement. I highly doubt most people won't pay for American made; like they go out of their way to make sure what they buy was not made in America.

Holosun has a corporate office in California with any where from 9-50 American employee working there (based on projections from Linkedin). If someone needs to send their Holosun in for warranty work, you think they are sending it to China for repair? These are also American employees that are working to support their American families.

Just to put things into perspective on why some people may really want to buy a Trijicon optic, but just can't justify the cost- I will use myself as an example. Besides my Shield Plus that I sent my slide out to have milled for a red dot, I also own three other single stack firearms that all came optic ready out of the box. (Sig P365XL, Ruger Max-9, and Springfield XD-S Mod 2 OSP)

Obviously I bought these 4 firearms with the intent of buying a red dot optic.

If I decided to buy 4 of the Holosun 407K 6MOA red dots, they would cost about $200 each. They would fit out of the box and would easily be installed using the tool that comes with the optic. (in all fairness, the XD-S did need to have the lugs filed down with a dremel , but that took less than 10 minutes and I already owned a $30 dremel set)

If I decided to buy a Trijicon, the cost would be around $450 each. I checked, and each one of my firearms must have a mounting plate added for the Trijicon to even fit.(even though all 4 firearms are already milled and optic ready) That will run me about $100 each based on Trijicon's website. Because the mounting plate sits as high as it does, I will not be able to use my current sights and will have to go out and buy suppressor height sights. Good ones will cost me about $100, but let's just say I was able to find decent ones for $75 each. Assuming I can change my own sights and don't need the extra expense of a gunsmith( that others in a similar situation may need ), the total per firearm for the red dot, the mounting plate, and the new sights will be $625- per firearm- total being $2,500 just for the red dot and accessories

I bought all 4 firearms brand spanking new, and the cost for all was a little over $1,800- combined. I am truly glad Trijicon pays their employees top dollar, but based on the excessive costs for the red dot, the absurdity of paying that much and then having to buy a mounting plate, AND lose my iron sights completely where I have to buy new sights? Each employee must be retiring as millionaires.

So $800 for 4 Holsuns or $2,500 for 4 Trijicons- do you think I am going out of my way to not buy American, or do you think I should just go ahead and willingly fork over $2,500 to a company that is really doesn't seem all that interested in building their clientele?
Uhhhhh, the two people that have responded to my question have gone out if their way to not buy American sights, Yes or No?

Had you bought an XDs had it milled it would be $500 otd. $425 sight, $75 milling. All that other crap is buyer error. Same with the others except 365xl, that one I'm not sure if they made a non China sight accept slide (unmilled) I know the regular 365 did as that is where the one RMRcc I own is parked.

I was taught you should figure the cost of the firearm as a minimum price for optics when I started hunting 40 years ago.

As to Trijicon paying american wages and benefits as opposed to China sweatshop rates from Halosun, that is sad tgar people think that is a good thing. No wonder most people don't buy American amymore.

To answer your earlier question about being happy to not buy American, you just explained it in detail.

Cliff notes version:
You said I don't care if Americans get pay checks because MY money is better spent elsewhere, because I get more.

Oh don't forget the lawsuit against halosun for patient infringement. I just found that yesterday. So that is another reason they are so cheap (they steal others research).

Since Lincoln or Cadillac doesn't sell cars for the prices KIA (insert any foreign company here) does that mean Lincoln or Cadillac is not wanting to build their clientele?

ETA:
Are you a shooter or just a gun owner? What is the highest level of training you have had?
Example; just carry permit or are you shoot house qualified (simunition, two way fire in a house) or a level in between?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Uhhhhh, the two people that have responded to my question have gone out if their way to not buy American sights, Yes or No?
Ok, so for that to be your reply after all previous comments, it’s clear that you’ve just been messing with me the whole time. That is the only rational explanation I can think of. Well played, you really had me going there for a bit lol

·
Registered
606 Posts
Ok, so for that to be your reply after all previous comments, it’s clear that you’ve just been messing with me the whole time. That is the only rational explanation I can think of. Well played, you really had me going there for a bit lol
Actually not messing with you.
You said people don't go out of their way to not buy American products, I used the two people that responded to the question as examples.
You gave gave references to LinkedIn, etc so you researched ways to not buy Trijicon/American sights.

Made an effort to avoid, should be the same as "went out if their way".

They both mean you didn't accidentally buy Chinese products.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts