MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up a Shield Plus on August 20th and when I got it home I noticed the trigger was not as crisp as my 8 year old Shield 9 1.0. When squeezing very slowly you would take up the pre-travel, hit the wall, and then another slight movement (creep if you will) and then it would break. I dry fired it probably a hundred + times and no change.
Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Tints and shades Auto part Bumper
Automotive lighting Window Bicycle saddle Bumper Automotive mirror
Leg Human body Jaw Audio equipment Eyewear
Eyewear Automotive lighting Font Audio equipment Automotive mirror

I also noticed the striker block was very rough when pushing it in and especially rough and gritty when pushing at an angle the trigger bar would be pushing on it.

So a call to S&W to report the issue. The lady I spoke to was not very receptive that I had an issue, wasn't sure what they could do about it and said if the shop finds it to be within specification they will just return it. But she sent a return label and said it would take 8 weeks. Comforting? I don't know why they have to be so negative.

I documented the issue in detail with the photos I'm showing here and included with the returned pistol.
Well the pistol was back in my hands on the Sept 13th. That's 3 weeks. Impressive. And the trigger is fixed. Breaks right around 5# and crisp.
Apparently the roughness in the striker block was the issue and the note in the box when returned said "repaired slide". It is noticeably smoother when I push it in.
But here is what is interesting. They also changed the striker block with a heavy radiused corner like you would see from Apex. The standard striker block as we all know just has a slight chamfer on it.
Stock striker block shown here except mine was not chamfered as much as in this photo.
Nickel Jewellery Gas Auto part Metal

New striker block below
Office equipment Fashion accessory Automotive exterior Natural material Electric blue

This striker block was not just the old one hand radiused on a wheel but turned on a lathe as you can see the turning lines in the radius. Maybe they are going to change the design.
Has anyone seen this radiused striker block from S&W, maybe in their Performance Center versions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just went out and checked my Shield Plus. I've have mine for several months now and put about 400 rounds through it at the range so far. Trigger seemed fine at the range. Actually, one of the best triggers I've ever had on a handgun.

I checked the dry-fire trigger action today. I could not duplicate that "extra 1mm to 1.5mm of travel with click" after initial take-up that you describe. I tried about a dozen times, and I don't feel that on the trigger of my Shield Plus.

Next, took a picture of my striker block pin as best I could. See below:

Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive tire Metal Auto part

Mine clearly has a small chamfer and a flat crown like the sample picture you posted. The sample picture you posted shows a clear sharp edge or lip at the top the small chamfer. IF there is a sharp lip there that can actually be felt or caught with a sharp tool, then the trigger bar could certainly temporarily "catch" on that edge and create the improper trigger action you are describing.

Mine has a small chamfer, but does not have a sharp edge that could create a "catch" or snag for the trigger bar. I carefully tried to catch that edge with a small jeweler's screwdriver, but I could not. As such, the trigger bar does not get briefly caught on it on my Shield Plus like yours did.

All that said, the replacement striker block pin that S&W gave you is CLEARLY BETTER DESIGNED with a much larger and gradual chamfer at the top. As such, it's bound to be much smoother as the trigger bar moves to push it up and out of the way.

They should certainly all look like that right from S&W. Hopefully that will be a design change as you mentioned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@WingMan71
My striker block looked just like yours except it clearly had machine marks in the chamfer area.
I believe that this combined with the the grittiness in the travel of the striker block in it’s bore in the slide when being depressed by the trigger bar was the issue. I think burrs in that bore have been an issue since the Shield was introduced.
Glad it’s fixed and I have to say it is near perfection now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
@WingMan71
My striker block looked just like yours except it clearly had machine marks in the chamfer area.
I believe that this combined with the the grittiness in the travel of the striker block in it’s bore in the slide when being depressed by the trigger bar was the issue. I think burrs in that bore have been an issue since the Shield was introduced.
Glad it’s fixed and I have to say it is near perfection now.
I forgot to try to press my striker block down by hand to see if it was sticking in the bore!

I'll try that next.

PS) Haven't checked, but is the striker block field removable? Under the rear site, perhaps?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot to try to press my striker block down by hand to see if it was sticking in the bore!

I'll try that next.

PS) Haven't checked, but is the striker block field removable? Under the rear site, perhaps?
Unlike a Glock in which the striker block is easily removable the M-P line requires rear site removal so it can be removed from the top of the slide.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Picked up a Shield Plus on August 20th and when I got it home I noticed the trigger was not as crisp as my 8 year old Shield 9 1.0. When squeezing very slowly you would take up the pre-travel, hit the wall, and then another slight movement (creep if you will) and then it would break. I dry fired it probably a hundred + times and no change.
View attachment 19387 View attachment 19388 View attachment 19389 View attachment 19390

I also noticed the striker block was very rough when pushing it in and especially rough and gritty when pushing at an angle the trigger bar would be pushing on it.

So a call to S&W to report the issue. The lady I spoke to was not very receptive that I had an issue, wasn't sure what they could do about it and said if the shop finds it to be within specification they will just return it. But she sent a return label and said it would take 8 weeks. Comforting? I don't know why they have to be so negative.

I documented the issue in detail with the photos I'm showing here and included with the returned pistol.
Well the pistol was back in my hands on the Sept 13th. That's 3 weeks. Impressive. And the trigger is fixed. Breaks right around 5# and crisp.
Apparently the roughness in the striker block was the issue and the note in the box when returned said "repaired slide". It is noticeably smoother when I push it in.
But here is what is interesting. They also changed the striker block with a heavy radiused corner like you would see from Apex. The standard striker block as we all know just has a slight chamfer on it.
Stock striker block shown here except mine was not chamfered as much as in this photo.
View attachment 19392

New striker block below
View attachment 19391

This striker block was not just the old one hand radiused on a wheel but turned on a lathe as you can see the turning lines in the radius. Maybe they are going to change the design.
Has anyone seen this radiused striker block from S&W, maybe in their Performance Center versions?
I just picked up a new Shield Plus PC version and the striker block looks exactly like the 'new' one pictured above. Must have changed the design.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts