MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just purchased the new shield Plus with the Crimson trace red dot.
I own a few performance center Pistols, and I’m very happy with them.

FYI the Crimson trace red dot that comes with this new shield Plus pistol is of very low quality.
I am very disappointed in this optic that Smith and Wesson has chosen for this performance center pistol.
when tightening The optic to the pistol, the red dot stops working, In order for the red dot to stay on you need to leave the screws slightly loose On your gun. I have already given away the Crimson trace read dot. I’m trying to find a higher quality red dot that shares the same mounting screw thread pattern and Mounting foot print. I am currently waiting for Smith and Wesson to e mail A response to my conundrum. I paid $ 899.00 for this firearm including the CT red dot, I’m very nervous of what my final cost Is going to be After I replace the red dot. I wish this new shield plus had the same quality optic as the first Shield optic ready that I purchased 3 years ago.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The 407K/507K is a great choice. If that doesn't do it for you, look for red dots that have Rmsc/Smsc footprint (Swampfox Sentinel, Romeo Zero, Shield/ J-point sights)

Those range from $150 ish for the Romeo, to about $400 for the Shield smsc. I Personally wouldn't get a red dot that did not include "shake awake" like the Holosun or Swampfox, so I would be willing to pay the extra for a red dot that did have that standard

·
Registered
578 Posts
The 407K/507K is a great choice. If that doesn't do it for you, look for red dots that have Rmsc/Smsc footprint (Swampfox Sentinel, Romeo Zero, Shield/ J-point sights)

Those range from $150 ish for the Romeo, to about $400 for the Shield smsc. I Personally wouldn't get a red dot that did not include "shake awake" like the Holosun or Swampfox, so I would be willing to pay the extra for a red dot that did have that standard
Why do people love the shake awake so much?

I've run RMR's on several guns and this will be the 5th year doing so.
I change the batteries once a year and have never had any issues with dead batteries.
The RMR is always on and the Duracell batteries I use are a buck each when bought in quantity of a dozen at several places.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Why do people love the shake awake so much?

I've run RMR's on several guns and this will be the 5th year doing so.
I change the batteries once a year and have never had any issues with dead batteries.
The RMR is always on and the Duracell batteries I use are a buck each when bought in quantity of a dozen at several places.
When I mentioned the shake awake function, I was referring to it being instantly on when detecting motion, as opposed to the red dot optics that one has to manually push on with a button. The last thing I want to have to do with a red dot optic is to have to remember to turn it on, or even have to find the on button first.

If the red dot is one that is constantly on and has a good enough battery that could last say a year, then those are great too. Shake awake, motion detected, stink eye detected, constant on, etc. are all good options, as long as I don't have to be feeling around for the on button before I can use it lol

·
Registered
578 Posts
When I mentioned the shake awake function, I was referring to it being instantly on when detecting motion, as opposed to the red dot optics that one has to manually push on with a button. The last thing I want to have to do with a red dot optic is to have to remember to turn it on, or even have to find the on button first.

If the red dot is one that is constantly on and has a good enough battery that could last say a year, then those are great too. Shake awake, motion detected, stink eye detected, constant on, etc. are all good options, as long as I don't have to be feeling around for the on button before I can use it lol
Thank you.

I just see a lot of people talking about that and can't understand why it's better than always on, but this explanation makes sense.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is the 407K/507K a direct replacement for the Crimson Trace (no modification needed) on the Shield Plus Performance Edition?
That's actually a really good question. When suggesting the 507k for the shield plus performance, I didn't think of the fact there might need to be modifications made to the slide to fit- I also haven't seen any videos or links tom sites where someone was using a 507k on a shield plus performance, so I'm really not sure.

·
Registered
301 Posts
"I am very disappointed in this optic that Smith and Wesson has chosen for this performance center pistol. "

I am guessing because they already have a business relationship in place for CT via their grips.

I agree there are much better MRDS than CT.

·
Registered
578 Posts
"I am very disappointed in this optic that Smith and Wesson has chosen for this performance center pistol. "

I am guessing because they already have a business relationship in place for CT via their grips.

I agree there are much better MRDS than CT.
S&W owns Crimson Trace.

I learned years ago that the factory cut for optics is a bad idea, I have all of mine milled for the sight I want to use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts