MP-Pistol Forum banner

Shield Plus with CT red dot conundrum

39K views 42 replies 23 participants last post by  M1A4ME 
#1 · (Edited)
I just purchased the new shield Plus with the Crimson trace red dot.
I own a few performance center Pistols, and I’m very happy with them.

FYI the Crimson trace red dot that comes with this new shield Plus pistol is of very low quality.
I am very disappointed in this optic that Smith and Wesson has chosen for this performance center pistol.
when tightening The optic to the pistol, the red dot stops working, In order for the red dot to stay on you need to leave the screws slightly loose On your gun. I have already given away the Crimson trace read dot. I’m trying to find a higher quality red dot that shares the same mounting screw thread pattern and Mounting foot print. I am currently waiting for Smith and Wesson to e mail A response to my conundrum. I paid $ 899.00 for this firearm including the CT red dot, I’m very nervous of what my final cost Is going to be After I replace the red dot. I wish this new shield plus had the same quality optic as the first Shield optic ready that I purchased 3 years ago.

#3 ·
The 407K/507K is a great choice. If that doesn't do it for you, look for red dots that have Rmsc/Smsc footprint (Swampfox Sentinel, Romeo Zero, Shield/ J-point sights)

Those range from $150 ish for the Romeo, to about $400 for the Shield smsc. I Personally wouldn't get a red dot that did not include "shake awake" like the Holosun or Swampfox, so I would be willing to pay the extra for a red dot that did have that standard

#4 ·
The 407K/507K is a great choice. If that doesn't do it for you, look for red dots that have Rmsc/Smsc footprint (Swampfox Sentinel, Romeo Zero, Shield/ J-point sights)

Those range from $150 ish for the Romeo, to about $400 for the Shield smsc. I Personally wouldn't get a red dot that did not include "shake awake" like the Holosun or Swampfox, so I would be willing to pay the extra for a red dot that did have that standard
Why do people love the shake awake so much?

I've run RMR's on several guns and this will be the 5th year doing so.
I change the batteries once a year and have never had any issues with dead batteries.
The RMR is always on and the Duracell batteries I use are a buck each when bought in quantity of a dozen at several places.

#10 ·
"I am very disappointed in this optic that Smith and Wesson has chosen for this performance center pistol. "

I am guessing because they already have a business relationship in place for CT via their grips.

I agree there are much better MRDS than CT.
S&W owns Crimson Trace.

I learned years ago that the factory cut for optics is a bad idea, I have all of mine milled for the sight I want to use.

#18 ·
I do agree on the lesser quality of the CT dot that comes on the pistol. The reflection in the lens is terrible. The Holosun 407/507k do not fit unless you want to grind off the rear mounting tabs on the slide. The Holosuns only have 2 mounting holes in the front of the optic, but the slide has 4. Any Shield optics or JP. I have the shield SMSc and sent it to them in Britain for the glass upgrade. I feel this is stronger than the RMSc because of the cutouts on the side of the optic, I've seen them dropped and the diagonal side support folded over and destroyed the optic. I think the RMRsc has the same footprint, as does the new Springfield Wasp micro optic. The Sig Romeo Zero's footprint will work, however I am not sure if the adjustment range will allow you to zero the dot. I bought a Romeo Zero for my hellcat osp...it fit, but sat too high on the slide and couldn't come close to zeroing the elevation...you would need to find some sort of shim to angle the optic down...not sure on the S&W. I personally replaced the CT with a Holosun 507k and filed off the rear mounting tabs, and reused the CT mounting screws. It's been holding zero. If that helps.

#19 ·
I reached out to CHWPS on their shield plate for the 507k fitting the shield plus and they said it fit. I ordered it just from a low-modification perspective (i wasnt sure if just grinding the rear lugs off with no coating would end up with corrosion problems later).
This is it S&W M&P® 2.0 SHIELD to Holosun 407K / 507K - C&H Precision Weapons it does fit - but works like a spacer, a few things...
  • there are no lugs, just the attachment screws (would they shear over time)
  • there is no gap or plate overlap (nice fit - good specs)
  • I dont need to re-coat anything
I'll need to run it and see if it holds zero with just the screws (the plate covers all 4 lugs on the RMSc footprint)

#20 ·
I reached out to CHWPS on their shield plate for the 507k fitting the shield plus and they said it fit. I ordered it just from a low-modification perspective (i wasnt sure if just grinding the rear lugs off with no coating would end up with corrosion problems later).
This is it S&W M&P® 2.0 SHIELD to Holosun 407K / 507K - C&H Precision Weapons it does fit - but works like a spacer, a few things...
  • there are no lugs, just the attachment screws (would they shear over time)
  • there is no gap or plate overlap (nice fit - good specs)
  • I dont need to re-coat anything
I'll need to run it and see if it holds zero with just the screws (the plate covers all 4 lugs on the RMSc footprint)
Great that the 507k "fits" but does it sit low enough (like the Crimson Trace) to allow co-witness with the standard iridium front and rear sights on the Shield 9mm 2.0 PC?

#33 ·
I ended up taking my slide and having the nubs grinder off and re costed. Now the 507k works on my Shield plus. This has been expensive and a pain in the ass. I love my M&p however for a smaller gun I would recommend gong with the Glock 43x or the 48. Sorry Smith and Wesson&p you did this to your self.

#34 ·
Research before purchasing. This is not a S&W problem.
I have three Holosun rifle sights because I like Circle/Dot. BUT...
Holosun pistol sights do not use a standard SMS/JPoint footprint. Holosun does not make a fully compliant optic and omits holes for the rear two studs (Shield/JPoint spec) while also making the front ones shallower.
per Holosun website: "whereas the new 'K' models have a modification of the Shield (SMS) footprint instead."
Some pistol manufacturers have omitted the rear two studs and sometimes the Holosun fits.
Smith actually did it to a standard. I will opt for the Crimson RAD Micro (for co-witness) with the proper mount. If people stop milling their slides just to accommodate Holosun then "maybe" Holosun will adapt their footprint. Otherwise buy a pistol without Optics Slide (for less) and have it cut for Holo.
Also see https://optics-info.com/footprints-on-red-dot-sights/

#37 ·
Hi Jameson!

I saw you mentioned that you own a few Shield Performance Center pistols. I recently purchased a Shield Plus Performance Center (w red dot) and I'm looking for a quality holster.

Question - do prior holsters for the Shield PC pistol, still fit perfectly for the new Shield Plus PC pistol?

Thanks in advance for any tips!
Sonny

#40 ·
Any updates to this? I really want a 507K on my Shield Plus to match my 507C on my other pistols but I’m concerned the C&H plate doesn’t fit well. It seems like there is a very slight gap towards the back and I’m also unsure if only having the two screws hold everything in place without the lugs will last. Thanks in advance.

#43 ·
The Holoson sight only has two spots in the bottom/front for the posts in the slide cut of the Shield Plus OR pistols.

The two posts at the rear of the cut have to be removed if you want to mount the Holoson directly to the slide.

Also, the remaining front posts are too tall for the "holes" in the front bottom of the Holoson sight. So some metal has to be removed from the top of those two front posts to get that Holoson to sit down flat on the slide.

Just did my own a few weeks back. The post height I measured is in this thread and how much I had to shorten them to get the Holoson to sit flat in the slide cut.

(2) Just bought a Shield Plus 9MM OR with night sights | MP-Pistol Forum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.