MP-Pistol Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
Watch their video on their website, pretty good demo!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I use industrial prescription safety glasses.. It stinks being blind.. LOL

As for hearing, I use Silencio hearing protection.. They work very well and are pretty comfortable.. I used to have these 35db Peltors.. But they got misplaced and I can't find them..

Ben

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hearing and eye protection...

I think it somewhat depends on what environment you're in. In an indoor range where sound isn't allowed to dissipate I highly recommend dual ear protection (plugs and muffs). Outdoors one or the other seems to work. Personally I won't go with anything less than 30db attenuation in muffs. I must say I'm quite sceptical of anything that says Harbor Freight on it, especially for that price. I just checked the HF website and the only electronic muffs I found were $35 and don't specify their rating. If they aren't willing to post that then I'd avoid them. Most high end ones ($100+) are in the 20-25db range so I'd still double up with them.

Try this for perspective. Hearing damage occurs at 85db and higher. http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/noise.htm The low end of firearms db is 140 db. Take the highest rated muffs on the market (that I'm aware of) at 30db and subtract that from 140db. That leaves you with 110db, still 25db above the hearing damage limit. Food for thought.

As for the question of the muffs on the range, most of the time they are fairly inexpensive models so as to not "walk away" if you know what I mean. They are better than nothing but I would buy better. The range I coach at offers the Bilsom Leightning L3 found here http://www.hearingportal.com/products/products2.asp?id=18 for a reasonable price as an alternative to their loaners. That is what I where coupled with foam plugs.

As for eye protection, I have a pair of Smith & Wesson glasses that work great as well as some ESS interchangeable lens glasses that I like. Just about any glasses on the market should work fine however.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

MC

·
Registered
270 Posts
Guys, if I may. We had a looooong thread covering ears on the SIG forum. I just checked and the thread is still there for you to read. We essentially went thro a boatload of ears before settling on a few:

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/505108424

As for eyes, I wrote a short piece on AR15.com but for the life of me, I can't remember where I posted it. I've tested everything incl the following:

1) Rudy Project

2) Bolle

3) Peltor

4) Revision

5) ESS

6) even the new titanium NXT model from Specialized thatbis supposedly bulletproof

I didn't test any Oakleys 'cos everyone else has done that. Best buy, in terms of price and quality, ESS ICE especially now that they've re-designed the frame. It's slicker.

Be careful of monocoque lenses; they can and will break if you keep swapping the lenses out (ESS was the only one that did not break over a period of 2 years). Consider one with dual lenses like. I had a pair of Rudy's (Freeon) and I had the lenses replaced thrice in 2 years. I still ike 'em 'cos they fit my face well (high bridge).

The Peltors are kinda like the ESS, a 3-lense package. Snapping them on and off was as easy though. My personal choice was the Kicker from Bolle; anything that can withstand 6 months of torture test in the hands of a 2-year old deserve being recommended. They fit well, stylish and unlike the others, don't look like tac eyes. Con - the lenses are not interchangebale.

·
Registered
150 Posts
reerc said:
Stuff the best foam plugs money can buy (highest db rating) in your ears, then cover them with the best muffs money can buy (highest db rating).

Do NOT scrimp here ... you only have one set of inner ear mechanisms, and once the damage is done, hearing loss is permanent.

You want to hear the sound of your grandkids' laughter.

:wink:

You got that right reerc. I am 60 now and I got back into shooting big time about 20 years ago. At that time I found it hard to believe that all the rock concerts and blasting from hard rock on earphones during the 60s had not screwed up my hearing. I was very lucky and was not about to push my luck. I use foam plugs with a 29 db rating and Remington muffs with I believe a 31 db rating. Both are inexpensive but do the job. I find muffs or plugs alone are OK for 22 rifles but anything over that, including short barrel 22 pistols require duel protection. When I shoot my 14 1/2 ARs with a hot load, 30-06, or 357 mags it's deafening. I was lucky during my young foolish years now I take no chances. I don't want to be that guy that constantly says HA, WHAT

·
Registered
533 Posts
I use my prescription Glasses to shoot with, but for hearing protection I like Pro-Ears!!

I have a set of myffs that is over 10 years old, I've had that particular set 100% refurbished once, but I really love that set of ears!!

Otiginally it was a Linear Elite Sporting Clays Model, They are now called Dimension Clays now.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I use Peltor tac 6s for hearing pro and either Oakley M-Frames or Half-Jackets for eye pro.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have Oakley, Gargoyles, and Uvex Genesis...the Genesis is the cheap-o, but they seal under my Pro-Ears (Magnums) best. They are the only electronic muffs I've used and I have been mostly satisfied with them. On the glasses, I like Oakley optical clarity, and they have a new frame style out on their govt./LEO side that is odd looking, but supposed to be much more comfortable under muffs. I was thinking about getting a pair, but the Sawfly looks great. I can't find their discount price, so if anyone has it, shoot me the info please?

My favorite NON electronic muffs are some Howard Leight that are 31 db reduction, IIRC. I use plugs and muffs both indoors and when I can outdoors. I usually use disposables, but I found some 30 NRR gel earplugs with a string between them by...Radians, I think, last week at Academy. I got a couple of pairs to try but haven't yet. They feel like they will work well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Any one try Pro-Ears Pro-Mag Plus?:?: Pricey around $250 but seem really good. First heard of them through Julie Goloski's site as she's sponsored by them.

·
Registered
533 Posts
leadfoot said:
Any one try Pro-Ears Pro-Mag Plus?:?: Pricey around $250 but seem really good. First heard of them through Julie Goloski
They are worth every penny!!

I have been using Pro Ears since 1994!

·
Registered
66 Posts
ysued said:
[quote name='leadfoot']Any one try Pro-Ears Pro-Mag Plus?:?: Pricey around $250 but seem really good. First heard of them through Julie Goloski

I have been using Pro Ears since 1994![/quote]Thanks ysued! I ordered the pro-mags plus last night from a place in Florida as there doesn't appear to be any dealers around here. If I like them, I'll get another pair for my wife. They were $230 USD plus $12 to ship to Canada. How or where do you get them "refurbished"?

·
Registered
533 Posts
leadfoot said:
[quote name='ysued'][quote name='leadfoot']Any one try Pro-Ears Pro-Mag Plus?:?: Pricey around $250 but seem really good. First heard of them through Julie Goloski

I have been using Pro Ears since 1994![/quote]Thanks ysued! I ordered the pro-mags plus last night from a place in Florida as there doesn't appear to be any dealers around here. If I like them, I'll get another pair for my wife. They were $230 USD plus $12 to ship to Canada. How or where do you get them "refurbished"?[/quote]

Actually you don't buy them as refurbished, you send them back to them when they get worn out and they work on them!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
ysued said:
Actually you don't buy them as refurbished, you send them back to them when they get worn out and they work on them!!
That I understand! Maybe I wasn't clear with the question.....as I have ordered them online, lets say in 5 or so years, where do I get them worked on/service refurishing if required? Main office in Colorado? Any dealer?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yes, send them back to Colorado!!

They will get them refurbed for you!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Pro-Ears repair and warranty is why I've only been "mostly" satisfied with my Pro Mags, as I described above. I know it happened the second time mine went back, and I think BOTH times they went back...they charged $35 plus postage for on something on what was described as warranty repairs. I wish I could remember for sure. Heck, I paid, I wanted them fixed as I'm spoiled to electronic muffs. Just funny a warranty carried a charge. They were up front about it, they told me on the phone when I called. The second time it was a broken cup, my bad, but I thought 35 was a bit high to replace that...of course, they had to do both sides, and maybe they gave the electronics the once over while they had them. Do your recall if that is what they charge the same 35 bucks for a refurbish, too, ysued? I might try another brand next time after I look into their warranty service.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I did pay a minimal amount of Money for the refub, this was a complete Refurb.

I had Foam, seals and testing the Electronincs, not bad, better than buying new ones!!

Y

21 - 40 of 45 Posts