MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am looking for shooting and handleing impressions, & opinions on the M&P 45 from 1911 owners. Is it a smooth transisition from the 1911 to the M&P 45? Recoil on my steel 1911 is non-exsitant, trigger feel and trigger pull is probably much lighter and smoother on the 1911, but how is the trigger on the M&P 45? I heard it was a little longer and heavy on the M&P 45 as opposed to the M&P 9. I can not find any range (ranges in southwest FL are few and not very good) that has an M&P 45, so I will trust the information I get from MP-PIstol.Com, the information, so far, that I have recieved from you guys has been top notch. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
A good trigger on the 1911 is pretty hard to compete with by any standards!! The M&P my be tweaked to offer a very good DA trigger- smooth, pos. reset, no overtravel; but it will never be the same as a SA trigger. JMHO

·
Registered
291 Posts
Comparing the two triggers is like compairing apples to oranges. They are different triggers and actions. I shot 1911 almost exclusively before I got my M&P. It came with a very heavy trigger and is two stage. My Kimber has a five pound trigger, so off to Burwell goes my M&P for a trigger job.

The transition to the M&P was very smooth and now I almost never shoot anything else.

It seems to me that most 1911 shooters prefer the M&P over any other tactical tupperware.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I did it.

I have been looking at prices and I found a new M&P 45, no int. lock, no saftey, no mag disconnect, for 470.00 shipped and transfer fee. So I bought it, on-line, with my FFL out of town and shipping and a 3 day waiting period, I should have it in a couple of weeks. I really like my full size M&P 9 and compact 9, so the 45 ACP being my favorite cartgride, the temptation was to great to pass it up.
Now I just need to keep stocking up on ammo before the Sept. increase.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I was taking part in a class last weekend and the owner of the store mentioned this. Said he was receiving notices from all the ammo companies that prices would be increasing in the last quarter of the year

·
Registered
13 Posts
A quick story about acquiring my MP45.

I like 1911s, don't get me wrong, but for some reason I don't shoot them as well as I do my G22. In the past I have had 2 1911s, the 1st one (80 series Colt MarkIV) I traded, and later wanted to give John Browning's creation another chance. A guy I work with sold me his Kimber Custom II, and my range visits weren't horrible, but not what I wanted.

Last Friday I traded the Kimber for a NIB MP45 w/external safety. I shoot the MP45 alot better than my 1911s. Accuracy was an issue with the 1911s, but reliability was an even bigger one, alot of FTFs.

I know you were asking about the trigger, and I must be wierd, but I shoot my Smith better. I don't think the trigger is all that bad at all. I thought I would need to do a trigger job, but it feels great after @300rds.

R

·
0 Posts
I traded two Kimbers toward a new S&W 1911PD and the M&P 45. The 1911 has been truly amazing, its a better pistol than the Kimber. 100% reliable, something the Kimbers after several hundred rounds couldn't claim. The M&P has been equally reliable. The 1911 trigger has been smooth since it came out of the box and I can shoot it fast and well. The M&P trigger improved after 300 rounds but is not as "refined" as the 1911. I'm having to learn to master the M&P but that's the fun of it, right?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I sold my S&W 1911SC bobtailed commander recently to buy an M&P .45 and M&P 9C. The trigger on the .45 out of the box was heavy and not as nice as the 9mm. My .45 trigger felt like the 9mm just a lot heavier-BUT it did not have the "double click" on reset that the 9C does. But I followed the DIY trigger job and have it down to 5lbs or less and it breaks pretty cleany for a non-1911. It has fairly short reset now and virtually no overtravel. Yes I kind of miss the 1911 trigger, but I have the M&P 45 working pretty darn well. I bought the M&P .45 with the external safety since I shot my 1911 with my thumb over the safety. Also coming from a single stack 1911 I strongly prefer the M&P 45 grip over the G21 or XD45.

·
Registered
319 Posts
i looked at MP45 for the first time today. Overall good balance gun.

But trigger felt like mushy, unresponsive, noncrisp. Reminded me of Glock trigger with spring mod.

My 1911 - Para PX745S had trigger work done, Brake clean at 4Lbs. I like M&P and all, but no way M&P trigger can compares with 1911, specially tuned trigger like mine

·
Registered
464 Posts
Going from a 1911 to a M&P.45 felt natural. I get to use the same grip with my thumb on the safety.

Nothing to re-learn. Im just freakin tickledsilly! It was worth the wait and I got 2 free mags to boot!

Im gonna let Dan do a trigger job here soon. Then the transformation to a "plastic gun owner" will be complete.

(Sure am glad my dad never lived to see me with one, Id never be able to explain it to him. To him it had to be steel and it had to be a S&W. Period.)

ps; I miss ya dad.

·
Registered
50 Posts
They are totally different. Having Dan B. do a trigger job on the M&P will narrow the gap but they still will be different. That does not mean that you can't enjoy both.... each has its merits. Mag capacity and weight are a big difference. Also, the 1911 is thinner, easier to conceal.... M&P is lighter, easier to carry all day. A tuned 1911 is difficult to equal by any pistol. It will be more accurate and will snap back on target faster than the M&P. And, a quality 1911 probably will earn you a little more respect or perhaps a little envy in some circles. The M&P is a fine weapon - I believe it will give you more (Bullets & Reliability) for the dollar than any 1911. But, if you are able to obtain a high quality 1911 (or skilled enough to build your own) it will be above comparison to any other pistol. IMHO

·
Registered
260 Posts
rootn.tootn.shootn.shoe said:
They are totally different. Having Dan B. do a trigger job on the M&P will narrow the gap but they still will be different. That does not mean that you can't enjoy both.... each has its merits. Mag capacity and weight are a big difference. Also, the 1911 is thinner, easier to conceal.... M&P is lighter, easier to carry all day. A tuned 1911 is difficult to equal by any pistol. It will be more accurate and will snap back on target faster than the M&P. And, a quality 1911 probably will earn you a little more respect or perhaps a little envy in some circles. The M&P is a fine weapon - I believe it will give you more (Bullets & Reliability) for the dollar than any 1911. But, if you are able to obtain a high quality 1911 (or skilled enough to build your own) it will be above comparison to any other pistol. IMHO
I agree with you. A good 1911 is hard to beat. There are plenty of unreliable 1911's out there that give it a bad reputation, but if you have a good one, you'll most likely love it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have put a lot of rounds thru my 1911 and not so many thru my M&P 45 (just put the first 50 thru this weekend), but I found the differences easy to deal with. The trigger pull on the M&P is longer out of the box than my 1911, and for me, quite a bit heavier. This should be easy enough to address if you are so inclined. I may have my trigger worked over by Dan, but I want to run a few 100's of rounds thru first.

Recoil is not issue on the M&P for me. This could just be because of the grips on the M&P. I played with the 3 that came with the gun and found the small one worked best for me. I have had a few different grips on the 1911 and am very happy with the set I have now on both guns.

Overall, I think you will be pleased, but as was stated earlier, they are 2 very different weapons.

Come on up to JAX and I will let you put some rounds thru mine...

tsix

1 - 15 of 15 Posts