MP-Pistol Forum banner

81 - 100 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had this problem, somewhat. with the .45. So did my shooting and hunting buddy. He can shoot anything from the bench accurately, but not my .45. I eventuallly learned how to shoot these newfangled things.

However, my M&P 9c did not cause me to do this. If anything, I occassionally pull it to the right.

I have discovered that if I squeeze the trigger with only the pad of my finger, ala 1911 shooting, the sights will jerk to the right. However, If I put the trigger in the first joint, the problem goes away.

I am contemplating at trigger job for my 9c.

My .45 now belongs to one of my sons. But, I believe that I will get the .45 compact (or maybe the Kimber SIS!). If I get the compact and the trigger is anyghing like my former full size, I wll get a trigger job.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have discovered that if I squeeze the trigger with only the pad of my finger, ala 1911 shooting, the sights will jerk to the right. However, If I put the trigger in the first joint, the problem goes away.

Welcome to my world.

I've never had this problem with any other pistol, but if I operate the trigger towards the end of the pad (under the knuckle end of the fingernail, if that makes sense) the sights snap to the right as the striker releases. Further, it seems that the whole slide shifts on the frame to the left.

At 25 yards, groups are decent - it's pretty easy to put 17 rounds into a hand sized group. The problem is that this group is centered in the upper right quadrant of the target (usually a sheet of printer paper with a Sharpied dot in the center).

I've put 3162 rounds through this gun since March 4th, but if this keeps up I'm not sure there will be many more.

Has anyone else had this issue, or am I just "special"?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
It's almost impossible to diagnose a shooter over the internet, but the classic diagnosis for a right-handed shooter sending shots high and right is heeling the gun. That means you are squeezing the whole hand as you break the shot. If your trigger is heavier than you're used to, or longer than you're used to, that could cause it. I have the same thing happen when I try to shoot too fast with a SIG DAK or a revolver.

The other possibility is, you know, that your sights could be off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
TLG,

The M&P is the only gun I have that behaves that way. I can dryfire a P226 or 229 in DA and the sights stay rock solid, for instance, and I get decent groups at 25 yards. What do you think about the slide shifting when the striker is released? I know that it has to move some, but the part that bugs me about it is that you can see the whole rear of the slide shift to the left (with a corresponding shift on the sights) when this happens.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
All M&Ps do that to a tiny extent; if yours is moving substantially then something is wrong. I've never noticed mine move during dry-fire, but then I'm focused on the front sight, not the rear.

A long, smooth DA stroke on your P226 or P229 is much different than the lighter stroke with crisper break on the M&P. The M&P is completely different than what you're used to. There's a lot more to it than just trigger pull weight.

I'd start with the Wall Drill, then once you're breaking shots without any disruption of your sight alignment try the Ball & Dummy Drill, and once you've eliminated any flinch or anticipation follow that up with the 3x5 Card Drill.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Trust me, I've done (and do) all the drills.

I'm fairly certain that I have an issue with the pistol, in that I can take another pistol (G19 or P226/229) and shoot to POA/POI at 25 yards. Dryfiring with the Glock doesn't produce anything similar - the front sight stays rock solid. I don't ever focus on the rear sights, mind you, but after struggling to isolate this issue to a shooter induced error, I started looking at the gun. I just found it odd that I could see the slide move substantially to the left if I watched the back of the slide when dryfiring.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think I've figured out my problem with shooting left off center. Here is how:

Take the mag out; rack the slide to check the chamber. Make sure you gun is not loaded!

Get your usual two-hand grip, extend the hands with the finger on the trigger. Aim in a safe direction.

Bring the gun to you chest and down, while keeping the slide parallel to the ground. Don’t change the grip or position of the trigger finger.

Now start pulling the trigger, watch the muzzle movement.

For me it was not enough reach so, my first digit was angled and, while pulling, pushed the trigger slightly to the left.

I've changed the back strap to “small” and moved the finger joint over the trigger. Pulled the trigger, slightly pushing with the thumb of my weak hand against a frame just forward and above mag release. No side movement of the muzzle.

Need to start dry fire more to get muscle memory.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am glad I found this sticky! And hope I can get some feedback on this problem. First off I am left handed so the gun is perfect for me (although I would love a nice 1911!) I have about 2000 rounds down the pipe. Today I head to range, with sand bags for the first time. I wanted to check the accuracy differance between a couple different loads. I write my load info on the target (NRA Slow fire pistol 50') and hang it up. Adjust the sand bags to get comfy, load up ten rounds and begin to slow fire them. At first thinking things were going good as usual. Everything in the black. I go to retrieve the target and there is not a hole in it!!!! Tried another ten same thing. Now I think I am going nuts at this point! 20 rounds and I have not touched the target shooting off bags no less!!!!!!!!!

I ran another ten free hand and finally clipped the target low right (1/4 circle or paper missing) with one of ten. This is the same gun that I was shooting the week before and punching 3-4" groups at 50' WTF! I started aiming for the top left corner (freehand) and hit bulls consistantly. So I am now hitting at 4-5 O'clock and 6" low! With my hand loads, LSWC 170g, 4.5g Bullseye, WSP. Same as the week before.

What happened to my gun!! Or me! Look at my avitar that was at 30' full clip in about 20 seconds the second week I had the gun. (that is a quarter taped to the target)

I will certainly be checking the sights for center tomorrow. Which will not explain the low at all. I had just cleaned the gun prior to heading to the range.

Any suggestions for a confused shooter?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Not uncommon ... as you get more familiar with a gun you have a tendency to relax on the fundamentals. Odds are you're jerking the trigger. Remember that you want to add weight, not distance of movement, as you press the trigger. You should keep adding a little weight at a time until the gun goes off. For maximum accuracy, you should be "surprised" when the gun discharges.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That is what I was going to and will try next week. Heading to a different range that is staffed with a smith. That range also will allow me to change the target range anywhere from 5' to 60'. I also have ordered a set of Warren Tactical sights that I will have them install. Then check accuracy before and after installation of the new sights.

Thanks for your reply, and I look forward to seeing what happens next week.

Will post results here.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
My advice is to get the marksmanship thing down before changing the sights. Changing the sights now will just add another variable to the equation. You can't check zero on your pistol until you can shoot a solid group.

·
Registered
23 Posts
>> try the Ball & Dummy Drill <<

Todd -

I have a question here - we did this in a class I took the other day - gave a mag to the guy next to us, and he loaded our mag with some spent shell casings at random, and vice versa.

The guys on each side of me were shooting glocks. When they got to a dummy, they could tap, rack, and bang.

With the M&P .40c, I would lock up dead. Couldn't rack the slide, couldn't release the mag unless I held down the mag release and yanked the mag out. I *think* what is happening is that the dummy round is hanging on the feed ramp, and the pressure of the remaining rounds is locking everything up. Like a double feed? Once the magazine was removed, I could then rack the slide, new mag, rack, and shoot.

My question - what is so different between the glock and the M&P to cause this?

Thanks, and have a great weekend.

John.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've posted before about my M&P .40 with the low and left. And even though I'm no expert , I've come to the conclusion it's the ergonomics and the sights.When I purchased my .40 , 2 of the guys who work at the gun received theirs when mine came in. We went shooting and all had the same problem.I've owned 8 handguns and have never had a problem like this. If i have to hold a gun and think of a 12 step program to shoot right , then it's not for me .Mine with fewer than 300 rounds will be traded or sold, I'd rather take the loss than jeopardize my life.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've posted before about my M&P .40 with the low and left. And even though I'm no expert , I've come to the conclusion it's the ergonomics and the sights.When I purchased my .40 , 2 of the guys who work at the gun received theirs when mine came in. We went shooting and all had the same problem.I've owned 8 handguns and have never had a problem like this. If i have to hold a gun and think of a 12 step program to shoot right , then it's not for me .Mine with fewer than 300 rounds will be traded or sold, I'd rather take the loss than jeopardize my life.

Well CJD I am sorry you are unhappy with your M&P. I have succesfully run 1800 or so rounds down the pipe with good to very good accuracy 3-4" groups at 50' 2" groups at 30' and less. I love mine, however I am baffled at my shooting from yesterday.

Sorry you were unable to overcome your problems.

·
Registered
254 Posts
All you need to do is have a rangemaster or another qualified shooter shoot your gun to find out what the problem is.

In rare instances something is wrong with the gun but most of the times the gun works just fine and the problem lies with the shooter.

I went to a local range with a friend and rented a .40c before buying one. He consistently shot low and left at 40 ft. I didn't.

I bought a 9c, he bought a 40c. His brand new 40c shot low left too. After 1000 rounds in the 40c his low left problems have disappeared.

Nothing was done to his gun to fix the problem. There was never anything wrong with either gun anyways.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
As its been said many times before, some just have trouble adapting to the unique M&P trigger, even experienced shooters. It also comes from the factory at 6.5 lbs.

For what its worth, I shoot my fullsize M&P better than any other pistol, even my USP with match trigger in SA.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Gotta agree with the trigger control posts. Same for me, Low left. Now I'm not saying this is the "fix", but what happened to me was....

I sent it to Mike at accurate-iron.com for his trigger work. He said mine was one of the worst "factory" jobs he had seen, at over 8lbs, and a horrible 8lbs at that!! I received it back at a crisp, smooth, clean 4.75 lbs. No more low left. That was that.

So I would say YES, work on the trigger control etc... .but if you can, get a trigger job. $70 (plus shipping both ways), was the best $70 I have spent on any gun!

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Anyone who believes that all M&Ps shoot low and left is just silly. If you are shooting low and left and want to sell the gun rather than learn how to press a trigger properly, knock yourself out.

mpc40 -- There is no reason why your M&P40 should have problems like that. If the gun shoots properly, I can only guess that either (a) the dummies were defective or (b) the person who loaded them into your mag did something to bugger it all up. I'd take a very close serious look at that magazine to make sure there was no permanent damage.

81 - 100 of 137 Posts