MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the range today and tried something new. After reading that one should be focusing on the front sight and not closing one eye, I tried it. Shot not bad but not good… the distance is 25 and 15m.

How do you do it without not seeing the target or the front sight???

What do you look at/for when you raise the gun?

Any tips or links would be good.

Thanks

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
coltman1985 said:
Do a search and u will find a thread on this!

Thanks. I tried that but didn't get much... I'll do it some more and see what comes of it.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
First, while I think shooting with both eyes open is better than shooting with one eye scrunched closed, it's not the be-all end-all factor in shooting. Plenty of successful shooters close one eye.

Second, slow static shooting at 15m and 25m is a lot different than reactive shooting at closer ranges. There are people who normally shoot with both eyes open but would then squint or close one eye when shooting at those distances.

But the technique for acquiring your sights is pretty much the same regardless. Look at the target, specifically focusing on the smallest part or point on the target that you can see. Then you raise the gun and as the gun interrupts your line of sight, you pick up the front sight and focus on it. You drive the front sight into the point on the target you want to shoot.

While other techniques (focus on the target, "soft" focus on the front sight, etc) can be used under some circumstances, they're not really well suited to 15m and 25m distances. The front sight is going to be the key to accuracy at that range, along with proper trigger manipulation.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ToddG said:
First, while I think shooting with both eyes open is better than shooting with one eye scrunched closed, it's not the be-all end-all factor in shooting. Plenty of successful shooters close one eye.

Second, slow static shooting at 15m and 25m is a lot different than reactive shooting at closer ranges. There are people who normally shoot with both eyes open but would then squint or close one eye when shooting at those distances.

But the technique for acquiring your sights is pretty much the same regardless. Look at the target, specifically focusing on the smallest part or point on the target that you can see. Then you raise the gun and as the gun interrupts your line of sight, you pick up the front sight and focus on it. You drive the front sight into the point on the target you want to shoot.

While other techniques (focus on the target, "soft" focus on the front sight, etc) can be used under some circumstances, they're not really well suited to 15m and 25m distances. The front sight is going to be the key to accuracy at that range, along with proper trigger manipulation.

Mate that's what I want to hear! Thanks. I have heard and read lots but some simple things like what you are saying is quite helpful.

I put the distance in there because I realise that they are contributing factors to technique.

Range time? And lots of it hey?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I also have struggled with this to some extent. I can always shoot with both eyes out to 50 feet plus when I'm at the range. However (more so lately) when I'm competing in IDPA I seem to find myself closing/squinting my non dominant eye on longer shots or sometimes even behind cover. Close shots I seem to keep both eyes open easily. I've been asking some folks that are better than me and they tell me this is something they do as well sometimes. I guess I won't obsess about it some much anymore.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I believe one should practice point shooting out to a range of 30ft or so. Though, thankfully, I have never had any personal experience, I would think that most of the time you need a gun, you will need it very quickly and without warning. Sight alignment will be the furthest thing from your mind. Your focus will probably be on the target and not your sights. Though you might do what training has taught you and you have practiced, sight alignment may cost you valuable time.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I sort of was pionting the gun, one eye aiming and then once on taget two eyes... Seems to work ok. That's out to 45 and 75 feet? 15 & 25m.

I tell you what, in certain field pistol events you are shooting a .22 pistol out to 50m (54yards)!! You have no idea WTF you are hitting, if you are. It's a waist of time. When i rolled up to the shoot and saw the targets out in the bush i asked if i could get my rifle? I think he tought i was joking! He looked at me and said, "this is field pistol". It still was fun but a bit pointless...

Now you have to one eye those shots!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts