MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an M&P in .40 cal., with four different loads the poi is 7" high at 25 yds.

The group sizes run 2.5" to 3.5". I have a M&P in 9mm and it shoots to point of aim at

25 yds. The rear sight on the 40 looks to be taller than the 9mm, the 40 ser#MPPXXX,

any one elese having this problem. I'm going to send the gun to smith because this is

not a good thing. Other than that I think the M&P is one of the best handguns I've owned.

·
Registered
130 Posts
After reading all the great reviews and posts on this forum, I bought a new M&P40 FS a week ago. My first trip to the range was last Friday and mine seemed to be shooting about 4 inches low at 15 yards? I will go back (maybe today) and try some at 25 yards and see where it shoots. I love the feel of the gun and the way it shoots, I hope it is a simple fix.

I really want this gun to shoot "point of aim" so I can use it for some fun shoots here which are like informal IDPA shoots my range has every Monday.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Dr. Flinch, before sending it back to S&W how about telling us more about your stance/grip. I agree it shouldn't change much from your 9mm, but after all it is a .40... As for the rear sight, they are all the same, the only exception would be if they were Trijicon, 3-dot Night Sights. So let us help you diagnose this problem of yours before sending it back to S&W.

Welcome to the site...

Edited for spelling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shoots high

Morgan, I use the same grip on my 9mm as well as the 40. I also had a friend who is a long time

competion shooter test the 40 with the same results. I do have an extra rear sight from my

9mm because I put a burwell rear sight on the 9mm and it does not look as tall. I tried to get

the rear sight off the 40 but its in so tight I'm afraid to damage it. My 9mm rear sight came off

real easy. Does anyone know the height measurement on the rear sight? Thanks

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Was it purchased new and have you disassembled it for cleaning before and or after to verify barrel is seated correctly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Morgan, It was purchased new, the gun was cleaned before shooting and I've got about

200 rounds thru it. The barrel seems to be seating fine, I'm pleased with the group size

at 25 yds. consistent at 2.5" to 3.5".

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Well, it may simply be the rear sight, strangely enough that it seems not to be stock either. Does it look as if the sights had been removed prior to purchase. I had a friend once try to sell me some night sights he removed from a new gun, said the store owner occasionally does it for resale purposes. I simply call it robbery, but either way it seems your problems revolve around the rear sight. Have you done a search on sight measurements here on the sight, I want to say I have seen many measurements posted.

Sorry I couldn't be of anymore help...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the gun from cabelas, and every thing looks stock. I did find one measurement on the formun

of .235 tall. MY 9mm sight is .240 and as best as I can measure the 40 is .258, so I believe this is

the problem. Thanks

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
Specifically what ammo were you shooting? Different bullets weights can have a tremendous effect on point of impact.

Let me give you a good example, I used to be a Deputy Sheriff, back then most people carried revolvers, the 158 gr was the common bullet weight for 357 mag, then the 125 gr bullets got a lot of good press and everyone was switching over to them, when I got my new 125 gr loads they shot so low...I adjusted the sights as far as they would go, and I still couldn't get the point of impact corrected at 25 yards, I had to remember to aim about 6" high at 25 yards and about a foot high at 50!

If I remember correctly, there are some different heights for front sights available, you might look into that.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Thanks John, I didnt even think about ammo, but I still think his rear sight is a bit fishy...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts