MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gents (& Ladies?)

Some info on the 5” barrels for the 9mm…

Can it be shortened if required or will it stuff up the twist rate? I would assume that it shouldn’t matter.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The 5" barrel is there to comply with australian law. I doubt the twist rate was changed just to make it legally compliant. I would definitely check if it is legal to alter the length.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
The twist rate won't change with the barrel length. I suppose a competent gunsmith could shorten the barrel and recrown it, but it might just as inexpensive to buy a new barrel.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
ToddG said:
The twist rate won't change with the barrel length. I suppose a competent gunsmith could shorten the barrel and recrown it, but it might just as inexpensive to buy a new barrel.

Yea, probably. I'd just stick with a 5" barrel if you ended up with one... that seems like it is a lot less hassle.

·
Registered
41 Posts
yeah i'd like a 5" barrel as well.

can they be ordered from somewhere? or are they only available to those countries req. by law?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Can 5 inch barrels be purchased in the US? I would love to have one also.

:twisted:

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. I can't have it shortened, as Raz-O pointed out;

"The 5" barrel is there to comply with Australian law. I doubt the twist rate was changed just to make it legally compliant. I would definitely check if it is legal to alter the length."

I was just curious as if I wanted to get a compensator fitted permanent, or porting, but I don't think that it's an option for IPSC...

Also wandering about the reload data in regard to twist rates... but at the velocities I don't think that it's a concern either!

A 5" barrel should sure keep things nice a accurate! :twisted:

·
Registered
246 Posts
243ww,

I am assuming (I know, bad plan) that the 5" barrel is sitting in a 4.25" standard fullsize slide and simply protruding an extra 3/4" out the front? I know on the standard 4.25" barrel, there is an area of a little less than 1/2" that is full diameter to fit snug in the front of the slide, and behind that the barrel is reduced down a bit, maybe .050" to allow the action to run smooth. That may be something to look at as far as where the barrel is reduced in size as you consider shortening the barrel.

Because of this reduced area of the barrel, a 4.25" barrel will not work on the 3.5" compact frame and slide. I would be sloppy loose because the slide would never get to the full diameter of the barrel. (Already tried)

Now that I have written this, I can't conceive of a situation where the barrel would not be the right size for the frame, even if it protudes an additional .75". Just thinking outloud. :roll: :roll:

I was hoping to see some pics of your 5" barrel and just found your post on shortening the trigger pull. In looking at the pics of your weapon, the barrel is what I envisioned.

NICE JOB on the trigger stop and the pics of the work in progress. Now I am going to have to explore that for one of my full size guns. Just can't make up my mind which one I want to dedicate to competition. I like the 40 with the light loads so well....., but I also like it with full house defense loads as my house gun.

I would sure like to get my hands on a 5" barrel in .357SIG for my fullsize .40. That would be awesome!!!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
L.C. Star said:
243ww,

I am assuming (I know, bad plan) that the 5" barrel is sitting in a 4.25" standard fullsize slide and simply protruding an extra 3/4" out the front? I know on the standard 4.25" barrel, there is an area of a little less than 1/2" that is full diameter to fit snug in the front of the slide, and behind that the barrel is reduced down a bit, maybe .050" to allow the action to run smooth. That may be something to look at as far as where the barrel is reduced in size as you consider shortening the barrel.

Because of this reduced area of the barrel, a 4.25" barrel will not work on the 3.5" compact frame and slide. I would be sloppy loose because the slide would never get to the full diameter of the barrel. (Already tried)

Now that I have written this, I can't conceive of a situation where the barrel would not be the right size for the frame, even if it protudes an additional .75". Just thinking outloud. :roll: :roll:

I was hoping to see some pics of your 5" barrel and just found your post on shortening the trigger pull. In looking at the pics of your weapon, the barrel is what I envisioned.

NICE JOB on the trigger stop and the pics of the work in progress. Now I am going to have to explore that for one of my full size guns. Just can't make up my mind which one I want to dedicate to competition. I like the 40 with the light loads so well....., but I also like it with full house defense loads as my house gun.

I would sure like to get my hands on a 5" barrel in .357SIG for my fullsize .40. That would be awesome!!!

Thanks for the reply and posy.

I would presume that the 5" would develop better with hotter loads. I can't cut it down cause of the laws here. It shoots sweet and you don't notice the bit sticking out when you use it in the right way :wink: ...

The guns been sent back this week to stop the brass from knocking my eyes out :roll: :roll: :roll:

Dan's cheat sheet for the trigger job was too easy. Even helped me for shortening the pre travel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts