MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a MP9c that I am about to do some polishing on. I am going to do the trigger bar, sear ( no cutting), and striker. I am not confident enough yet to file anything and this is my carry gun so I don't think I will do a "real" trigger job until I get a full size anyway.

I was wondering if it would make any difference to polish the frame's slide rails while I am at it? I like to have a nice smooth action as I rack the slide and it looks like my rails are getting polished on their own anyway (very unevenly though). Are there other parts that would benefit more from polishing?

Thanks a lot in advance.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I always thought that polishing the rails was okay but I am new to polymer guns... I thought that if I wasn't taking metal off then it would be okay. I will not touch them.

I'll have to look up the firing pin safety to see exacty what to polish on it. I have it disassembled now, looking for my girlfriends dremel to no avail.

Just found out what you meant about the firing pin safety. That is the part I will buy from Dan because it involves taking off metal. That is one of the parts of Dan's pdf post that I won't be doing. I'm not filing the sear or radius-ing the firing pin safety.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I didn't mean you shouldn't polish the rails. It just really won't do anything. You can polish them if you want.

You don't have to remove any metal from the firing pin safety to polish it. But one that Dan has cut down will be even better. :wink:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Probably a waste of time to polish the rails and likely a good way to introduce some slop into the action. It ain't like it's a 1911 and to do a decent job with one of those is, I believe, a pretty serious project. Best way to polish the M&P rails is to lube up the gun and run a few thousand rounds through it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine are wearing unevenly, that's why i thought that polishing them would smooth the slide action a little. I am going to polish the bottom of the firing pin safety when I do more polishing the next time. I was too easy on the trigger bar and it is still a bit gritty. Much better than stock though. Thanks all. Sounds like another couple of thousand rounds is in order. :twisted:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts