MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase my first pistol soon.Should I wait it out for the .45cal or .357.Or should I go ahead and get the .40.The range I started shooting at rents thr M&P 40.I have put 200 rounds through it and I love the M&P over the glock I tried.Any thoughts or comments would be great.

·
Registered
524 Posts
lol, I'm sorry but this has got to be one of the funnier questions posted.

Do you prefer .45, .357, or even 9mm over .40? If you buy the .40, you can get a .357 barrel later, and have both calibers. Sadly this can't be done with either 9 or .45. But, it all boils down to your preference of caliber.

·
Registered
505 Posts
this is deffinetly a decission your going to have to make on your own....we can give you suggestions and all of that, but we need to know what your plans for the gun are going to be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad to be able to bring humor to the forum.I have been going to the range for about a month now and have shot 9m .45 .357 and .40.I really do not have any idea of the benifits of each caliber.I am purchasing a gun for range use only.maybe over time as I get into the sport I will get into competition shooting.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'd purchase the 40 now.

Then after the 45 has been out for awhile (a year), purchase

one of those also.

That's my plan. :wink:

·
Registered
505 Posts
i currently own a 40 but am using it for home protection and range shooting....i plan on picking up a 9mm fullsie next that i can have worked over by a gunsmith for shooting range or competition if i decide to get involved in competition

my recommendation to you is the 9mm since you only planing on shooting at the range and possibly competition... i like the 40 and the little extra cost on bullets doesnt bother me. i think there all expensive...

good luck in your decision

·
Registered
26 Posts
Go with the 40. Personally I dont like the 357 sig, a little too snappy for me and expensive. If it's just for the range get a 9mm.

·
Registered
21 Posts
get the 9mm....

good 9mm self defense ammo is perfectly effective for that purpose....

cheap range stuff...

best all around...

·
Registered
139 Posts
if you really want the 45 just wait otherwise if you don't go ahead and get one now. I had the same decision to make and i'm waiting on the 45 myself.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would go with a 9mm. It is less expensive to shoot. If you like the higher caliber and $$$ isn't an issue, go with the .40 cal.

Ultimately, it'll come down to what you like to shoot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
While I am a newb here I will voice an opinion as well.

There is no such thing as a magic bullet, caliber or firearm.

At your stage, what I see as just getting started, the most important thing now is for you to learn good techniques/form and practice. The 9mm will allow you to spread your ammo money farther then the other calibers you mentioned. You can afford to go to the range more often and fire more when you are there. More important then anything else is that you develop the skills, then obsess about the particulars of the firearm/caliber.

Also, there is a wealth of information on the net concerning the "benefits" of one caliber over another. I try to take all of them with a grain of salt......or a pound, depending on who is writing the article.

If you are interested, this is what I feel to be one of the finest caliber articles I have ever read.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/9mm%20vs%2045.htm

·
Registered
189 Posts
chuckafied said:
I am purchasing a gun for range use only.maybe over time as I get into the sport I will get into competition shooting.
9mm would be a solid choice, cheap ammo and enjoyable to shoot.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I like a .22 as a "first" pistol. Get the basics down and don't waste your bank account on ammo. I'd love to have a .22 kit for the M&P.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the info.Purchased the .40 this weekend.A guy at work also has a 40 and does his own reloads so I will be abl;e to get some ammo cheap.Thanks again for the feedback

·
Registered
319 Posts
I like to get 40 some time. But i can't wait for 45...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Probably a good time to buy. There are rumors of a price increase. I bought my M&P9 last fall for $430. Same dealer had them for around $470 this weekend at the Richmond Gun show. S&W has had some dealer incentives for M&P's and Sigma's: buy 10 M&P's and get one free, buy 5 sigma's and get one free. The dealer does cost+12% and spreads the "freebie" into the cost. He said that the prices would probably be higher in May. Sales are getting pretty good and the price may reflect that.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
get the nine and wait for the 45, best of both worlds. i went with the 40 the medium of cost, function, and use.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts