MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a new MP9 PRO this spring sn NFM 6309. I can't hit the inside of a barn standing inside it.
At 50' I'm lucky to hit13x13 paper free hand 3 out of 5 times.
Benched, I can get a 10" shot gun spray using factory ammo.
Same distance I get 2x3" groups with a .22 and 4" groups with a Colt 1911 .45 ACP.

I have fiber optic sights with an elevation screw, no adjustment for windage. I think they are Novac. But I can't group well enough to adjust anything.

I've tried hand loads- Bullseye 4.2 grains, 1.169 loa, coated lead, 115 grain bullets. No help. Anything under 4 grains won't cycle the gun.

I've dry fired 1,500 times, live fired 500 times, so I think the gun is broke in. I get a 2x3" inch group with a itarget laser.

Should I buy a softer recoil spring?
Should I buy an APEX trigger?
Should I sell the damn thing?

I'm really frustrated and disappointed in the gun.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had a SIG P250 just like that. Hubby phoned SIG and got what we knew was stupid/bad advice, so it did not take very long for me to trade it for something that worked! I don't believe in putting good money into something that is bad......at least, bad for me!

I also have a Browning 1911-22 that shot high. Way, way high. It got sent back to the factory and when it came back it worked nicely. So that is another option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm new at this pistol thing. it very well could be me, but I can't explain the close groups with the laser, and other guns.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm new at this pistol thing. it very well could be me, but I can't explain the close groups with the laser, and other guns.
I wouldn't buy any after market parts until you know if the gun will stay or "get gone." One of the first things to do at this point is get someone else who is a really accurate shooter to fire the gun for you several times. If it is still scatter-shoting, it might require a trip back to S&W. You can phone them and see if they will send you a prepaid shipping label. They should!

There could be something wrong with the inside of the barrel which would explain why the laser works but a real round of ammo goes wacko/anywhere.

AND if you do send it in, be sure to write (print out) as detailed a report at you possibly can and include pictures of your targets, especially the ones from this gun PLUS at least one from another gun you own. That takes care of the "it's the Indian, not the arrow" excuse that some manufacturers occasionally use. The more information you can give them, the more likely it is that they can fix your gun properly.

And if you are lucky, the repair person will actually READ what you sent to them. (/sarcasm off)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I wouldn't spend any money on it at all. Have a friend shoot it. If he's all over the place, too, return it to the shop and explain the problem. They should take it back under warranty, or have S&W fix it if they won't take it back.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I wouldn't spend any money on it at all. Have a friend shoot it. If he's all over the place, too, return it to the shop and explain the problem. They should take it back under warranty, or have S&W fix it if they won't take it back.

Gun shops don’t provide a firearm warranty; the manufacturer does.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Gun shops don’t provide a firearm warranty; the manufacturer does.
Yes. And the shop, or a least a good shop, will help you get that warranty coverage.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Since you said you are new, one thing to understand is anticipation of recoil can cause bullets to go all over, where there would not be anticipation with a laser because there is no recoil.
Have someone else shoot it and see what happens.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you shoot decent groups with the 1911 you should be able to do similar with the MP9 Pro.
Mine is not a Pro but a 5 inch, and it will do 2-3 inches rested at 25 yards with just about any ammo I run through it.
It does have an Apex kit in it, but the stock barrel shoots well enough that I doubt I could see a lot of difference with an aftermarket barrel.
I'd send it back to Smith, hopefully they will replace the barrel or whatever other parts they deem necessary, or replace the whole gun.
Typical group with my MP9:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Get some one else to fire your gun. I thought mine was off, until a Marine cop friend fired it dead on. I took my time and watch what I was doing, and everything has been good since. Dead on with my reloads.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have you had your eyes checked lately?

What are you focusing on when you do shoot? The target or the front sight?

I'm not being smart, it's something that I am currently working on. Trying to focus the front sight through my progressive lenses.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Can you a post a video of you shooting it, with the target in the shot, too? That would help a lot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Your're asking me to do the impossible! ;-) I can send a link to a you tube video showing you just that. I wear progressive glassed so it is hard for me really focus because I have to keep adjusting my head to get it focused. It has made a difference. Yesterday I went and bought some "readers" that may help me focus even better.

I belong to another forum and I was explaining my problem, trying to focus and everyone repeatedly said "focus on the front sight". Check it out and google focus on front sight, there's a few good instructional videos. BTW, I did go to range yesterday and tried it and I saw an improvement. I think with the new reading I'll do even better. These two should help get ya in the right direction. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you had your eyes checked lately?

What are you focusing on when you do shoot? The target or the front sight?

I'm not being smart, it's something that I am currently working on. Trying to focus the front sight through my progressive lenses.
Eyes are good, they are a $7,000 pair of replacement lenses.
I focus on the front sight.
I can get an oblong 2x3 group with iTarget lazer every time.

I'm thinking 9mm is correct, it's muzzle flip. I'm working on a really tight grip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts