MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, to make sure the mags don't cause jams. Do you clean the mag as often as you clean the gun (after each fire session)?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Some "experts" recommend cleaning them frequently only if they are dropped in the mud or dirt. I clean mine about once or twice a year... more frequently only if they somehow get wet. Be cautious about OILING them. OIL will destroy the primers. A pass through of a silicone rag would be more appropriate.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
You should take them apart and clean them once in a while. Mine had quite a bit of oil from the factory, so you should disassemble them and clean that out. As Rootn said, if you drop them in the mud/dirt you should clean them.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Clean them when they get dirty. Especially any carbon buildup around the feed lips. If you don't shoot a lot of use fast burning powders, that may not be an issue very often.

Some mags I lube (my 1911 mags), some I don't (almost everything else). Even if I lube them, it's never the inside of the magazine tube unless it is a dry film lube. The 1911 mags get a clean and lube about every 1500 rounds unless they get dirt or sand in them. The rest, including the M&P get cleaned whenever they get too much crudd in them.

These suckers rock.

http://www.arredondoaccessories.com/catego...1jitls&gid=

·
Registered
56 Posts
Many autoloader malfunctions are caused by the magazine. It is a good idea to keep your magazines clean. If they are rarely dropped on the ground or carried in the pocket or belt they will likely stay clean through a good many firings. If you carry them they will often get lint in them and if you drop them they can get dirt/sand in them.

I clean my mags with an Arrendondo brush and wipe everything down with a dry cloth. I don't lube the insides of the mags. Once you get the hang of it, the process doesn't take long at all.

It is also a lot easier to inspect the magazine components when they are apart so it provides a good time to make sure nothing is cracked or broken.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rootn.tootn.shootn.shoe said:
Some "experts" recommend cleaning them frequently only if they are dropped in the mud or dirt. I clean mine about once or twice a year... more frequently only if they somehow get wet. Be cautious about OILING them. OIL will destroy the primers. A pass through of a silicone rag would be more appropriate.

Thanks, but what primer are you talking about? The primer of the round?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
A note on the primers. Oil won't ruing them. I don't care if you don't want to believe me and be extra cuatious about NOT getting oil on them, but please keep it in mind if you believe you have made a round inert by exposing them to oil. You haven't.

At worst you made them temporarily inert. And to even do that you need to get it INSIDE the primer cup, which you aren't doing easily on loaded ammo.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot for the info, but I just don't wanna to any chances. I plan to have a magazine dedicated to home defense, and it will be always loaded though, and I can't afford to take the chance. I don't want the rounds there to spoil in the long term (they are expensive ammo, and I can't afford a lot of them). Do you know anything about Blue Wonder Disotec XFR? It's a lubricant, but does it have the same primer-degrading characteristics as oil?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I use pistol mag brush then spray brownells pistol pro mag slickin the inside and the follower and spring. its a dryfilm lubricant and works wonders on mags.

hope this helps 8)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks a lot for the info, but I just don't wanna to any chances. I plan to have a magazine dedicated to home defense, and it will be always loaded though, and I can't afford to take the chance. I don't want the rounds there to spoil in the long term (they are expensive ammo, and I can't afford a lot of them). Do you know anything about Blue Wonder Disotec XFR? It's a lubricant, but does it have the same primer-degrading characteristics as oil?

I would rotate your mags for home deffense. You don't want the spring to get to soft/weak. I rotate my full mag once every week at least. To help me with this I write a number on each mag so I can keep track.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
A loaded mag is no problem. the motion of compression and decompression of a spring causes it to wear out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts