MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an MP 9.

Dry firing at home, I noticed that when I pull the trigger when the gun is on its right side so that the ejector side is facing the floor, the slide moves. This slide movement causes my aim to be off.

As soon as the trigger gets to the heavy part of the pull, the muzzle end of the slide moves to the right.

This does not happen when the gun is on its left side or held normally.

Is this only on my MP or have you seen this on yours?

thanks.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
It's probably due to the design of the disconnector and the firing pin safety. The good news, is that if that is the case, your sights should be back on by the time the round goes off.

But I really have to ask WHY you even practice this. Shooting USPSA, I've shot from prone, bent over around obsticals, kneeling, from inside cars, over and under cars, through barrels, and all sorts of other things. Only once has any situation required me to have to hold my gun at more than a 45 degree angle from vertical, and to do so it was so constrained as to allow virtually no sight picture other than making sure the muzzle wass over the target.

If the target is far enough away to care about a little bit of sight movement, hold the gun like a normal person, it should sort out all your problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not really holding the gun sideways but I may be on my side on the couch watching TV or in bed

when I dryfire the pistol to get use to the trigger, etc. I still hold the gun like normal-vertical relative to me.

Now that I think of it, It may not be bad to practice some of not so normal way of firing a pistol. In case, I am in a situation which is not normal, I may be able to react the same way.

does your MP exhibit the same movement when horizontal to the ground?

thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
found similar thread on this -- "sights jerk to the right when trigger breaks?"

mine actually happens before it breaks. It happens after the pre-travel is taken up and the trigger pull starts to be heavy.

most issues where solve with a trigger job.

Plan is to use the gun for a while to see if the jerking disappears.

thanks

·
Registered
573 Posts
Geez, just buy some ammo and go out and shoot the gun. I guarantee you it will jerk! Put a couple of hundred rounds through your gun and then come back and give us a report.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My front sight moves to the right when I dry fire, makes sense when you look at the layout. The sights move a lot more when it's loaded and I pull the trigger
, you've got to learn to live within your wiggle zone, that's all. I find the harder I try to use bullseye technique with this pistol the worse I shoot, if I relax and shoot it as a combat pistol it actually shoots more accurately.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Ian.

Makes me feel better that it not just my pistol.

Studying the rails without a caliper, seems like the front rails are wider than the rear rails.

The slide wiggles more on the rear than the front end.

I can move the slide slightly so that it would pivot on the front rails.

As you suggested, I will live with it knowing that it is a combat pistol.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My full size 9 would move to the right every time I

pulled the trigger when dry firing. I sent it to Dan

and now it doesn't do that anymore.

Zeke

1 - 8 of 8 Posts