·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
61 Posts
Very, very nice

Exceedingly nice design concept. I'd like to see the "H&K P30 solution" applied to the grip panels as opposed to three different housings.

I also wonder if the trigger reset is as short as what is found on all Elite models and SRT-equipped P220/P226/P229 models. If so (and if it fits your hands) it could well be "the perfect" pistol for some.

Damn, they were really thinking. :idea:

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I am impressed
This looks like a a great firearm the only problem I see is the sig price

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Re: Very, very nice

997GT3 said:
rt as what is found on all Elite models and SRT-equipped P220/P226/P229 models.

The trigger reset requires the trigger to return fully to the forward position, like a DA revolver. It's a true DAO gun.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Very, very nice

997GT3 said:
Exceedingly nice design concept. I'd like to see the "H&K P30 solution" applied to the grip panels as opposed to three different housings.

I think the point of the replaceable frame is so it can be converted from a CCW compact to a full size gun in a matter of seconds. You can vary the height of the frame as well as the width. Although replaceable panels are nice, your still left with the same height frame.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I think they bascially cribbed every good gun design idea form the last 15 or so years and crammed it into one gun.

I don't think it necessarily made a better gun. All the modularity may be great form a manufacturing perspective, especially since all the metla bits are probably stamped or MIM, everything is really cheap, and you cna stockpile everything that isn't serialized.

However, I doubt many organizations want to manage the inventory for all the unserialized options. That will be managed in the distribution channel. That's just going to be a mess. You think the M&P has a lot of skus, wait till this sucker shows up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I still dont understand the idea of the trigger. If in fact it has to return fully forward this will be a slow shooter. Could it be possible it has two reset points ? One for the initial shot with the heavier 6lbs trigger and follow up shots will be lighter ?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
DAO only trigger..why? The idea of interchangeability is interesting but I would just as soon have the different pistols. Also looks like it still have a high bore axis. I would also be a little leery of buying s pistol so new. But anyway...I expect it will sell very well.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They will be available for purchase soon and the sigforum speculates that you could get a standard nitron finished version for a about $550, which is not too far off the mark than a Glock. As for the double action pull, I think this pistol is really geared to LE, where varying hand sizes make a one size fit all approach unpractical.

I remember going to the range last year and witnessing a young St. Louis female officer trying to wield a full size Glock 40. At seven yards she struggled to hit the target, let alone post any "grouping". I am not saying this is the answer, but a smaller framed 9mm may have been a better solution for her. Perhaps this system would allow them to tailor a gun to her needs.

·
Registered
264 Posts
There was a write up on it in one of the Rifleman issues a while back. Thought it was a neat idea. from a manufacturing point of view it would defnitely be much cheaper to make than the current crop of polymers with the insert molded rails. The tools for the various size and shape housings would be MUCh cheaper to build, maintain and operate. The serialized frame can be extruded Al that would require only finish machining so youre not wasting lots of material for each gun. Extrusion dies are CHEAP as hell to boot. if the price is around $550 as suggested and still has the Sig quality they will make great pieces.

Would be nice to have a gun that you can convert to compact for CCW and then to full size for the your next IDAP match. However, a couple of things are a no go fo me as of what has been announced.

DAO- cant stand it. I I wanted DAO I'd get a revolver. I am not a fan of DA to begin with, but am willing to put up with it on DA/SA guns, but only cause sometimes I have to. This is the only true negative of my P30. Would love to see an SAO version or maybe even a LEM like version

Ergos- Sig generally has worse ergos for me than Glock. Even their compacts dont fit my hands for squat. If they have made changes to the ergos then I can see it goiing somewhere.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
og556 said:
I still dont understand the idea of the trigger. If in fact it has to return fully forward this will be a slow shooter. Could it be possible it has two reset points ? One for the initial shot with the heavier 6lbs trigger and follow up shots will be lighter ?

While it's been reported erroneously on the web that the pistol has a "very short 3mm reset," this is not the case. To reset the pistol, the trigger has to move all the way back to the standard at rest position. This was definitely true of the 9mm, .40, and .45 prototypes I've handled and I confirmed it again today by phone with someone from SIG.

If there has been some change and somehow they've come up with a way to shorten the reset drastically (which seems next to impossible given the mechanism, but I'm no engineer!) I think that would make it a much more attractive proposition.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Speaking purely as an engineer the firearm design is superb.

Yes, one can change from a full-sized to mid-size to "compact" which is novel. I'd also like to see (though I'm in no way complaining) adjustable mainspring housing profile and side grip panels for each frame size.

The DAO is primarily for LE and though most won't admit it it's probably better for the average CPL carrier.

I'd like a true Double Action with the Short Reset Trigger. THEN it will be perfect (assuming all else is fine) and I'd have to place the pistol along side the 1911, H&K P7M8 and Glock 17 as the stunningly innovative pistols of history. Certainly there are others just as there are some arguably better pistols available.

I cannot wait to get me mits on this one. GREAT job Sig!

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
It is innovative, but by the sounds of it, I'm not crazy about the trigger so it is far from the perfect pistol in my mind.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Nice...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts