MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know when the new Sig with interchangeable frames (as we know them) will be avail.?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Over at SigForum the latest I am hearing is November. The truth is nobody really knows what is going on. Sig has recently gotten new brass in their Administration and lips seem to very tight about everything.

I can not wait for it to come out. I love my SigPro.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
utarch00 said:
Over at SigForum the latest I am hearing is November. The truth is nobody really knows what is going on. Sig has recently gotten new brass in their Administration and lips seem to very tight about everything.

Don't know where that rumor comes from but the CEO at SIG-Sauer (USA) is the same guy who's been there for 2+ years.

Anything's possible but I'd be surprised if the P250 is released this year ...

·
Registered
40 Posts
ToddG said:
[quote name='utarch00']Over at SigForum the latest I am hearing is November. The truth is nobody really knows what is going on. Sig has recently gotten new brass in their Administration and lips seem to very tight about everything.

Don't know where that rumor comes from but the CEO at SIG-Sauer (USA) is the same guy who's been there for 2+ years.

[/quote]

Todd, he's probably referring to the new head of marketing, because of Paul Erhardt's leaving.

I, too, have heard of Fall time frame as the latest info..

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have never owned a Sig, but this one looks promising. Can't wait to get my hands on one to see how they feel.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I'm not that excited about it probably because I'm not too excited about Sig in general these days. This pistol still has a high bore axis and the trigger pull is supposed to be an even longer DAO than the DAK. Still I guess it's better than yet another shiny P226 or P220 with beavertail.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
The P250 has -- or at least had, on the prototypes I shot -- a very smooth trigger pull. If you think the DAK is smooth the P250 will make your head spin. But unlike the DAK, there is no intermediate reset point. The trigger has to go all the way forward (like a DA revolver) for every shot.

To be specific, the US-specification guns had a smooth trigger. The original German gun I shot (which was a couple years ago) had an atrociously heavy and gritty trigger pull. The mechanism in the US gun is different, providing for a lighter pull. There were problems with light primer strikes, which presumably will be solved before the gun hits the streets.

·
Registered
171 Posts
ToddG said:
The P250 has -- or at least had, on the prototypes I shot -- a very smooth trigger pull. If you think the DAK is smooth the P250 will make your head spin. But unlike the DAK, there is no intermediate reset point. The trigger has to go all the way forward (like a DA revolver) for every shot.

Really? The P250's DAO is better than the Sig DAK? That would nice. I recently had the chance to feel the DAK and liked it, at least much better than DA. I guess after being used to the M&P
On the other hand, although the DAO would feel better than the DAK, I think the downside for me with the DAO might be it's not having the intermediate reset point.

So in your opinion, would you say it might feel better than a P226 DAK? And also, how would you compare the P250 DAO with the M&P trigger?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
It's important to remember I've only handled pre-production models of the P250, so I can't say what the final result will be when they hit the streets. The simplest way to get around the misfire problem would be to increase the mainspring and therefore the trigger pull weight. We'll have to see what they decide to do.

Before I handled a P250, I thought the DAK had the second smoothest DAO-type trigger pull I'd ever felt. The Beretta 90-series "D models have absolutely smooth as glass trigger pulls because it eliminates the sear altogether in its design. Anyway, the DAK is a very close second. The P250's trigger felt lighter (though I didn't measure it) and even smoother than the DAK.

The DAK pull is also affected by (a) a change earlier this year in mainspring, giving it a heavier pull to overcome some challenges with misfires with certain types of ammunition; and (b) the size of the gun, since the leverage-based solution is a little less effective as the guns get smaller. So all the trigger pull weights have gone up a bit (I was told somewhere between a quarter and half a pound, but again haven't measured it personally) and the P229 is heavier than the P226, the P239 is heavier than the P229. Variation from gun to gun is significant enough, though, that you could probably find a particular P226 with heavier pull than a particular P229, etc.

Comparing them to the stock M&P trigger, the biggest difference is reset. The M&P has a fairly short reset whereas the DAK's intermediate point is long (and increases the trigger pull weight by a couple of pounds) and both the standard DAK reset & the P250 have to be released completely all the way forward to reset. Some people care about trigger reset, some don't. But of the three, clearly you have M&P being the shortest, then the DAK (if you use the middle reset), then the standard DAK and P250 for the longest.

The P250 is, in a lot of ways, a lighter version of the Beretta 90-series DAO trigger. It's very smooth but requires a very long reset for follow-up shots.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
A friend pointed me toward a recent post at SIGforum about the P250. There is one person on the forum who keeps stating that the P250 has a short reset (3mm, which is about 0.12"). I don't know where this information came from; I even checked the German SIG company website and there is no such claim there. The P250 has a full (all the way out, all the way back) reset for every shot, just like a DA revolver. This was true on all the pre-production prototypes I handled (9mm, .40, and .45) and I verified it with contacts at SIG this past week.

According to the new SIG marketing director's post at SIGforum, the trigger travel of the P250 is 0.8" ...

·
Registered
171 Posts
ToddG, thanks for your valuable inputs from lots of experience, especially with Sigs!

How is the grip and the overall feel of the P250 compared to the M&P, and to the P226R/P229R DAK? Love the P226R, but haven't held the P229R yet. Didn't like the 239 and the SigPro, trigger guards were too wide, corners hitting my middle finger (somewhat like glocks).

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
sherpa -- Except for the angle and bore axis, which are essentially identical to P22x-series SIGs, you really can't compare the feel of the guns. The P250 has three different grip modules. Between the three, just about anyone should be able to get a comfortable grip on the gun. I was very surprised to hear that SIG is only going to sell the guns with one grip; considering it's nothing but injection molded plastic it seems inexpensive to include all three with the gun so people can figure out which size works best for them.

I don't think it will be long before only the Medium size comes packaged and if you want one of the others you'll have to spend $40-50 for it. That essentially raises the price of the gun compared to something like the M&P, HKs, etc. which include multiple backstraps.

I found the gun comfortable and easily controlled in 9mm, while the .40 I shot was very flippy ... but it was all an early prototype and we were shooting the 155gr ICE load which is about the most abusive ammunition to shoot you'll ever find.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts