MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the range with another 300 rounds down range; bringing the total up to just over 1000. This time, not a single failure...I would say it is pretty much broken in.

My question to anyone who may know is how can I check to see if the sights are aligned (left and right)? I know that more than likely it is my shooting technique, or that is what everyone says but here are the details, I have at least 1k dry fires I have already shattered one set of snap caps to rid myself of any flinching/anticipating and I have been doing the random snap cap drill (tap,rack,bang) without any flinching and I am consistantly left of target. Decent groups just consistantly left both off hand and supported. Same results with other shooters same gun, and today I was right on with a .45.

Is there a way to check the alignment at home?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast reply.

I have been experimenting with my finger position; using a thumbs forward grip and the center of my first pad I am not completely ruling out my trigger pull; but I am more or less center with other guns.

Secondly...this may sound completly obvious to most, but how exactly are you measuring the sights (positioning the calipers). I have calipers but cannot seem to get a good solid reading.

·
Registered
188 Posts
jbparrothd21 said:
Just got back from the range with another 300 rounds down range; bringing the total up to just over 1000. This time, not a single failure...I would say it is pretty much broken in.

My question to anyone who may know is how can I check to see if the sights are aligned (left and right)? I know that more than likely it is my shooting technique, or that is what everyone says but here are the details, I have at least 1k dry fires I have already shattered one set of snap caps to rid myself of any flinching/anticipating and I have been doing the random snap cap drill (tap,rack,bang) without any flinching and I am consistantly left of target. Decent groups just consistantly left both off hand and supported. Same results with other shooters same gun, and today I was right on with a .45.

Is there a way to check the alignment at home?

This might be a dumb question, but are you firing the gun from a resting position? Yes, I know you don't flinch anymore (I'm trying to rid myself of the same) but are you resting your forearms while shooting? I had to do this with my S&W 686 last weekend. I would think it would be hard to isolate a sight issue without truly firing from a resting position.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried off hand and from a rest; both with the gun supported and then with just my forearms supported.

·
Registered
44 Posts
SAME PROBLEM

hey parrot, i have the same exact problem! i have shot 750 rds and ive also been messing around with gripping it and flinching. if i focus and shoot straight, it will go to the left. My groupings are pretty tight at 40yrds. i jsut bought my gun last friday, 22nd. Im gonna clean out the gun and try it again. In the manual, it says that u can move the sights, but then the local range told me that i cant. From the center of the grouping to the center of the target (target roughly 2" in diameter) i am about 2.5" off to the left.

Greenpea, if your reading this, i know youve told me at the range that u were off to the bottom right. Hows ur experience so far?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
well the best way to check it short of aquiring a ransom rest type deal is to get two people who can shoot accurately, and have them shoot it. If they both have the same issues you do, it's the sights.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Oh yeah, and even if you truly have your flinch eliminated, you should also check that you are not rotating your grip around the gun.

the slide should line up with the bones in your forearm.

I've been having a lady of a time with that lately. Ditched the dropped and offset part of my hoslter setup, and it makes getting a consistant proper grip much easier.

Just picking the gun up I wasn't doing it, but from a draw I was.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Re: SAME PROBLEM

SLYang1012 said:
hey parrot, i have the same exact problem! i have shot 750 rds and ive also been messing around with gripping it and flinching. if i focus and shoot straight, it will go to the left. My groupings are pretty tight at 40yrds. i jsut bought my gun last friday, 22nd. Im gonna clean out the gun and try it again. In the manual, it says that u can move the sights, but then the local range told me that i cant. From the center of the grouping to the center of the target (target roughly 2" in diameter) i am about 2.5" off to the left.

Greenpea, if your reading this, i know youve told me at the range that u were off to the bottom right. Hows ur experience so far?

I've changed my grip and adjusted my trigger finger using snap caps and went shooting again the next evening. It is still going right, but height is ok. I let one of the range guys try it and he said he was going right with it too. His grouping were real tight in a kidney bean shape. He shot their rental gun that morning and said that one was fine. I guess its my gun. Maybe I'll head out to the range again soon and we'll try each other's pistols to see. Just let me know when you're gonna be there again. I can't do weeknights for a couple of weeks though. PM me and we'll talk some more if you'd want.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The front sight on my M&P9 was visibly off center to the right out of the box. The pistol shot 2" left. You can move the front sight with a drift, but I decided that I'd try S&W's warranty. Sent it back to them and it was returned in 7 days (send to receive) with the front sight centered, and a lower front sight (it also shot 6" low at 25 yards).

Check your front sight. Mine was not the only one I've heard of with an off-center front sight. S&W seems to be pretty responsive with the fix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts