MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the new Shield Plus and also purchased separate night sights. When I asked my FFL who is supposedly is a gunsmith about installation he claimed the front sight is difficult to remove and to install and my gun will get scratched. Is this true? I certainly won't let him do it and will try and find another gunsmith who is better qualified, but I have never heard that this is a difficult process. I have read many reviews of night sights with people installing them themselves on Shields.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Tight, yes. One of the tightest I ever changed sights on (Gen 1 Shield). I managed to do it without scratching.

I would take it to a competent gunsmith.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Same here. Tightest sight I've ever changed was on my new 1.0 Shield 9MM. Did a little stoning on the bottom of the new front (night sight) to get it in with a reasonable amount of force.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I just purchased the new Shield Plus and also purchased separate night sights. When I asked my FFL who is supposedly is a gunsmith about installation he claimed the front sight is difficult to remove and to install and my gun will get scratched. Is this true? I certainly won't let him do it and will try and find another gunsmith who is better qualified, but I have never heard that this is a difficult process. I have read many reviews of night sights with people installing them themselves on Shields.
I have installed quite a few of them for family and friends. I bought a Shield specific MGW sight pusher when I had trouble with the first shield sight that I changed out. It made the job pretty simple. I later bought the Maryland Gun Works (MGW) Sight Pro which makes the job real easy if you do a lot of sights on different firearms. Check with Brownells or Midway.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Just need to find a competent gunsmith in my area or send it off to Keeter1911. I bought the Ameriglo sights for my Shield 2.0 and never bothered getting them installed because my model had the integrated laser. I am in my 50's and the eyes are going and thought the laser was the way to go. Realized it a real life situation I would never take the time to turn on the laser. Just get the front sight on the target at close range and I should be good.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am sure I will find someone. I could not find the model with night sights in stock anywhere. Didn't want to wait with Biden and congress looking to infringe on our rights.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
If you don’t want ro invest in a good sight pusher; find a good smith to do the sight work for you.

I’ve done some. They’re tighter than a frogs ass; and that's water tight!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I also just got a Shield Plus and also purchased separate night sights, but cant find anyone to installed them..
There has to be gunsmith in AZ. Or even a shop that can do it.

I managed to do mine with brass punches, but it was a ROYAL PAIN.

They must use a hydraulic press or something to put those things on at the factory.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are a lot of people who take an "Armorers" course but are not actual Gunsmiths...a Gunsmith would have never told you this. So many precautions and techniques to avoid scratching....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sights are now installed. Gunsmith said it was simple. Took him 10 minutes. He even charged me less because it took so little time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Maybe they finally loosened the dovetails a bit. I have ruined a couple of brass punches and a sight pusher trying to move the sights on a Shield. They were way to tight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts