MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the accessories forum but maybe it would be more appropriate here, so I'll re-ask the question.

I have gotten very used to the sight picture on my HK P2000. It seems to have a bigger sight picture or ratio than typically speced on American guns. The front blade is .140" wide and the rear notch is .170" wide. The M&P which comes with a .130" ft and a .140" rear notch. What width front and rear combo would I need to gain the extra light in the sight picture that I am used to?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
the .140 rear and .120 is pretty nice IMO. You can get that with dan's rear and a .120 speed shooters front. 10-8 rear should work too as well as the warren.

In theory.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the theory I'd really like to discuss and understand. I know there is a formula that I have long since forgotten that will allow one to figure what size sights will give me the same sight window picture and the HK I am currently using. Anyone know what that is?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
as i said in the other thread, you are making it way too complicated.

width of rear notch - width of front sight. Get something that comes close. As the gun doesn't have the exact same sight radius, bore axis, slide countour, etc. It will never match exactly.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No offense intended but I am not making it too complicated. If you don't know how to do it that is fine. Some of our very smart gunsmiths and competitors probably do know how to figure out what combination will give the the 1:2 (or is it 2:1) ratio. Not sure what that is, it is when you have 1/2 of your front sight post width of visible light on each side of your front sight post. Maybe this is the wrong forum to ask it on, I should have probably posed the question (or searched) on the Brain Enos forum. I was hoping that since this forum is home to some of the good people on M4carbine that technical questions would be appreciated. The answer of you're making this too difficult does nothing to answer a specific technical question, that's the kind of answer you expect on Arfcom.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Post the same question on the Brian Enos forum and five minutes later someone has run an Autocad program and out comes an anwer.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I suppose one way to get the the answer is to post on the Enos board. The second way is to use a bit of geometry and trig. Conceptually, the front-rear sight angle should project to a point in space ahead of the front sight. Changing the width of the front sight would project a different set of intersecting lines, whose intersection would depend on the distance between the front and rear sights. So, you would need to measure the H&K distances and the M&P distances, then do a bit of geometry. I'm sure an expert geometrician could come up with a "formula", I'd just use and excel spreadsheet to do the math.

A simpleton like me would just subtract the width of the front sight from the gap in the rear sight and look for front rear combinations that gave the same empty space. Of course, with my aged eyes and shooting ability, I'd just look for more versus less, and the difference wouldn't improve or disimprove my shooting ability.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That was just the problem. I excelled at Math while in my school days but those are long past. Now, to many years as a diesel dummy for UPS and I don't remember how to do Geometry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts