MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Shield in 9mm a couple weeks ago. I just got in my TruGlo TFO sights. I have tried using a brass punch on my rear sight (removed the set screw, pushing it toward the ejection port) but, it won't budge. The rear sight was not centered from the factory, slightly offset to the right, which leads me to believe the rear sight was improperly sized and therefore installed improperly. Does anyone in the Portland area have a sight pusher?

·
Registered
667 Posts
It sucks when they are hard to remove. If you cannot find a pusher locally, you can rent one from SSS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried the freezing trick both in the freezer and with a can of compressed air. No dice, didn't even budge. As the sight is not fully centered from the factory I'm going to assume it probably pretty seized up. I am tempted to just send it off the the guy with the XD smithing website. $25 bucks for sight swap within 24 hours and return shipping. I really don't want to be without my edc for several days but, a local smith quoted me at $75 and "prob ably 3 to 4 days." I politely told him I'd think about it. For that price I could just buy a damn sight pusher myself, which is what I'm thinking I might end up doing.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Do you have a drill Press? In my garage I have one of the cheap (Ryobi) Home Depot bench top drill presses. On my wife's FS M&P I used a piece of 1/4" Drill Rod chucked in the drill press, Clamped the Slide in the vice and used the leverage of the drill press to push her old sights out and her new sights in. worked great, on my M&P .40 I used the Brass Rod and Hammer, But on hers it wasn't budging. The drill press pushed them out pretty easily :) ...

Thank me Later :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
The "freezing trick" requires that you heat up the slide, and then freeze ONLY the sight by applying liquid from an inverted duster can, a freezing-type wart remover, dry ice, or something similar. (Expand the slide, contract the sight metal.)

Rather than a drill-press, a small arbor press would be better to use if you have access to one.

The sight pusher mentioned above will be good for installing the new sights safely (Without hitting them and risking damage.), but still may not be able to get a really stuck sight moving. The standard tool should work with the rear sight, and the XD blocks ought to work for the front sight on the Shield.

The XD blocks didn't quite fit for the front sight on my FS M&P40 slide.:no The stack-up between the frame, the blocks and the slide was just a little too tight, so they're supposed to be sending me a slightly shorter XD block so I can finish installing my front TFO sight.

·
Registered
37 Posts
As the sight is not fully centered from the factory I'm going to assume it probably pretty seized up.
FWIW, I have a FS M&P 45 and a FS M&P 9, and the rear sights on both are slightly off to the right. The fact that it's slightly off center doesn't necessarily mean that it's seized or improperly installed. I had to whack mine pretty hard with the hammer and punch but it moved after a couple of hits.
Good luck.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I had really good luck with that sight pusher. Had to works a little to get the slide to sit right when doing the front sight though. I do like the fact that you can put a wrench on the nut and crank it if the sight is really stuck. I was able to get a nice tight fit on my sights with no locktight needed due to being able to use a wrench.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts