MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have switched out sights on their M&Ps; what is the easiest way of doing so and still maintain a sight-in that is close to where it was? I am replacing them with the Trijicon night sights, so the sights are exactly the same, except for the tritium inserts.

I was thinking of using masking tape to mark the outside edges of the existing sights and then line the new ones up with that.

Is this easier said than done? I am not sure how tight the sights fit into the slide so...

Any help would be appreiciated. I would like to avoid too much difficulty in getting the gun re-sighted in after the switch.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Use a caliper to measure current sight placement and install new to same reading. use the tape to cover contact/surrounding areas to protect them when the drift punch slips. The front sight is on really, really, really tight. I thought I was going to have to use a sledge hammer!! Big hammer, brass or aluminum drift punch, and patience are essential. After it moves, it will tap out easily. Good luck :wink:

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Just put them in the center of the dovetail cuts. I would say at least 90-95% will hit dead on with them centered up. the other small percentage is only off by maybe an inch at 10 yds. So that should get you pretty darn close.

The fun part is certainly getting the old ones off you will need a soild vice, a brass puch, and a BFH.

Good luck,

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. You guys have me worried now. When putting the new sights in, should I just tap them into postion as-is, or use some kind of compound to make sure they stay put?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Some sights need to be fitted, make sure you know what you are getting!! I use red loctite on drifted sights in the bottom of the dovetail. Don't use any on the rear sight if you switch that out!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts