MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my brand new 40 to the range for the first time today and put about 100 shots through her. I loved the way it shoots but I started at 7 yards and it seemed to be quite low. When I moved to 15 yards it seemed to get closer to be on target. Does anyone know what distance the stock sights are usually set for ( I think I saw on here somewhere that it might be 25 yards?) I noticed that the sights have windage but no elevation adjustments.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone suggested changing the back strap to the larger one? I will shoot a few hundred rounds through it and let my son shoot it (he is away this week). Maybe someone makes an adjustable rear sight I can put in there? I ordered a case of ammo to break it in, should be here this week

·
Registered
49 Posts
No one makes and Adjustable sight for the M&P yet

No one makes and Adjustable sight for the M&P yet. Dawson is working on one. Dan Burwell, Dawson, Warren, and Bowie make fixed sights that are better then Factory. I have the Warren rear with a Dawson fiberoptic front. I had to put a taller front sight on as I was shooting 3 inches high with the factory sight at 25 yards with 147 gr 9mm. It was right on with 115 gr bullets. If you are shooting low, you will need a lower front sight. The factory height is .160". .006" change in sight height changes point of impact 1" at 25 yards.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks dlouque, are you saying that someone makes lower sights that replace the stock front sight? Can I change them myself or it a smith job? I hate the thought of sending off my gun, I just got it. That sounds like a viable solution.

I will shoot some 25 yard off a rest this week and see where it is hitting. Being new to all this, I would never have thought that different ammo would have an effect on hitting a target that is only 15 or 25 yards away. I would have thought that it would have to be much farther to the target to matter much? So much to learn :oops:

·
Registered
32 Posts
sights

I am thinking about putting Crimson Trace lasder grips on my M&P 9. My old eyes can not tell the difference in sight height and the target. I can no longer focus on all of that. In a defensive mode I think the laser grip would be the way to go for me. These days my targets are paper plates. If I can hit a paper plate at 30-50 feet I am doing good. (These are just the ramblings of an old man.
)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh man, my place had one with crimson trace grips on it already bt I could not swing the extra $275.00 the Friday before Christmas. Maybe I should have just bit the bullet and bought it? (pun intended)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Before you replace your sights

What weight bullet were you shooting? M&P 40 is sighted in with 180 gr to hit point of aim at 25 yds. If you are shooting 155 or 165 gr bullets you will hit low. A good rule of thumb to remember is the heavier the bullet, the higher it will hit. So if you are shooting low with 155 go to a heavier bullet before replacing your front sight with a lower one. If you have to change you can get a taller rear sight to raise point of impact. Look at the Burwell or Dawson.

·
Registered
32 Posts
CTC

Optics Planet has M&P laser grips, model CT-LS-LG660, for $244.98 with free shipping! I have a set on my S&W 637 revolver and am sold on them. Eventually ,as I scrape up the $, I will put them on all of my CCW's. 8)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was shooting range ammo, 180 gr FMJ. Is a Crimson Trace Laser Grip better than a small laser that goes on the rail like a LaserMax? Just thinking that if I go with a Lasermax, I could switch it between the M&P and my Storm carbine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: Before you replace your sights

dlouque said:
What weight bullet were you shooting? M&P 40 is sighted in with 180 gr to hit point of aim at 25 yds. If you are shooting 155 or 165 gr bullets you will hit low. A good rule of thumb to remember is the heavier the bullet, the higher it will hit. So if you are shooting low with 155 go to a heavier bullet before replacing your front sight with a lower one. If you have to change you can get a taller rear sight to raise point of impact. Look at the Burwell or Dawson.

I am so glad I found this post and confirmation of what I though was to be true about my MP 40.

Just came back from the range with an almost embarrassing session. As a fairly competent shooter I was dismayed when my shots were all going low. I readjusted my grip, shot slow, readjusted aim and I couldn't correct my shots.

I was afraid that maybe my bore was off somehow or my sights not lining up right.

Luckily I searched this forum for some answers before running off and getting a stand and bore sighter.

As it happens, I was shooting with some new ammo. 165gr FMJ Winchesters that I got from Wal-Mart of all places. I had originally had poor experiences shooting with lower grain ammo, but thought i'd give this ammo a try, especially at 21 bucks / 100 rounds.

Anyway, I'm glad to know that it's not a major problem with my weapon and it isn't because I've completely forgotten how to shoot.

·
Registered
44 Posts
JohnA136 said:
... I hate the thought of sending off my gun, I just got it. ....

I think u should buy another pistol so you can have something else to play with while you send off your M&P. That way you wont miss it and feel as bad! =)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was just wondering, how would one re-zero a M&P 40 for a lighter bullet?

Since the M&P is zeroed for 180gr at 25 yards, what sight adjustments need to be made for a 165 gr?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I've found almost no difference in point of impact with different bullets weights with my M&P .40. This includes 155s at 1200 fps, 165s at 990 fps and 180s at 760-950 fps. Mine is right on out to 25 yards - I haven't tried it past that yet.

The traditional way to fix a handgun that shoots low is to file down the front sight. It doesn't take much to change the point of impact. Take a few swipes with a flat file, shoot, check POI, repeat as necessary. A little cold blue on top of the sight when you're finished and that's it.

If you depend on the dots (I don't) this may not work.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Re: sights

Anhinga said:
I am thinking about putting Crimson Trace lasder grips on my M&P 9. My old eyes can not tell the difference in sight height and the target. I can no longer focus on all of that. In a defensive mode I think the laser grip would be the way to go for me. These days my targets are paper plates. If I can hit a paper plate at 30-50 feet I am doing good. (These are just the ramblings of an old man.
)
Crimson Trace are set at the factory at 50ft or approx 17yards and they are very accurate I just put a set on my carry weapon a G22 (BTW Crimson Trace are dirt cheap on Ebay right now for the Glock as cheap as $158 - $175) I will be getting a set for my M&P .40 when I get my replacement holster back from Blackhawk. The red dot is dead on target. The only down side is the laser takes your mind off the sights, and lets you concentrate on the target and the dot. The plus side is target aquisition is quicker even in daylight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts