MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I've put a few thousand rounds through my 9mm M&P now. Trigger is still crap, compared to some I've felt. I've improved it once, but it still needs some work.

My issue though is this, it shoots high, all my shots are landing on top of my front sight, or higher. Every single other combat style pistol I own shoots "cover the dots" type POI/POA. I like this way better, and really am not looking at changing my sight picture for one gun.

Now I know when I read threads like this I always assume the shooter doesn't know what he's doing and it's a trigger control issue, or epilepsy or something like that. well beyond my own experience with shooting (GM in IPSC here in Canada), I've had about 20 other people shoot the gun, most of them as good or better than I, and it groups the same for them. Same off a rest.

So I want to get a new front sight anyway, and I am wondering if any of the Fibre Optic front sights available from any of the sponsors here, are any higher, and will help correct this.

Also have any of you noticed this with your 9mm's, or even your .40's?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Rob,

figure out how high you want your front sight to be and give Kenny at Speed Shooter a call and he will make you a sight to what ever specs you tell him.

In case you don't know take your amount of correction needed (in inches) multiply it by your sight radius (6.5in for the M&P) then divide it by your distance to the target in inches. so 0.005 in changes your POI by 0.69in at 25 yds. Just make sure you measure you curent sight height should be 0.165 but this can vary by a couple thousanths.

it is late and I just gave those numbers off the top of my head so if I just wrote something stupid I am sorry.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Dan, I'll have to figure it out this week I guess. I know I'd like to bring my shots down about an inch or maybe more at 15 yds.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
He's canadian so of course he is limp wristing

Thats what happens with all the beer and hockey. eh

·
Registered
495 Posts
Interesting thread as I took my second M&P out for its maiden trip to the range last night. My first one shoots POA=POI, this one is about 3" low.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hate hockey and beer, so that ain't my problem
must be the Shirley Temples and curling? oh wait I hate them too!

Like I said it isn't just me, And we benched it too, so it's definitely the gun. I am teaching Friday night so I'll take some measurements and figure out how high a front site I need.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So Scott discovered something interesting on my gun tonight. My rear sight is higher than his on his .40. His rear sight sits tight to the slide, no gap between the bottom of the sight (not the dovetail part, but the rear part of the sight) and the slide. Mine is about 1mm higher. If you put the two slides together, upside down and reversed, you can really see how much higher the rear sight is. I will get a pic tomorrow, but if anyone else can take some pics of their sights from the back of the gun and post them (9mm and .40) it would help me a ton.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rear of the slide where the rear sight sits. so one can see how much space exists between the top of the slide and the sight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can slip the edge one, and only one, sheet of printer paper between the slide and the bottom of the rear site on my M&P 40. Haven't noticed it shooting high, but then good enough for me isn't in your league.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes the paper thing I would say is normal but when you compare the two guns its very noticeable.

But I agree he's a limp wristed shooter. :twisted:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you'd know if I was limp wristed I guess.............................................

ooh wait family forum I'll leave those jokes for the range.

Can't find my camera otherwise I'd have posted pics already.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts