MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to brighten up the front sight of my Shield 40. There are many different sights out there but, I'm thinking I could save a few bucks and try something different. I own TFO's on a Glock 27 and two pair of Diamond Speed Sights on my XDS 45 and Glock 23. I'm thinking about putting a Hi-Viz (HiViz SW2007 - Front Smith & Wesson M&P Sight ) fiber optic front sight on my Shield 40 and leaving the stock rear. Has anybody tried this? What do you think? Do you have any other ideas? Night sights are nice, but I need a flash light to identify my target anyway. Now, if you are sharp, you noticed something. I had this similar setup and I changed the sights on my XDS 45 to night sights before I ever shot it with the stock rear and stock fiber optic front. Please, share your ideas. I am interested in what other people are doing instead of night sights. But, if you think night sights are it, say so. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
The flashlight will NOT illuminate your fiber. It will be black. I'd stay with a tritium set on ANY defensive gun.

Jeff

·
Registered
110 Posts
YMMV, but in a dark house when you illuminate the threat, the tritium dot won't be that visible either. Best is to experiment in your home environment and see what works for you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
YMMV, but in a dark house when you illuminate the threat, the tritium dot won't be that visible either.
This is true. At defensive handgun distances the white spot from a mounted light is where the projectile goes, good enough for government work. I like having night sights, hand held light, weapon mounted light and laser. I practice using sites, although I allow the other stuff to assist, but I don't plan to rely on it should any of it fail.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Anybody have any other suggestions? Has anyone seen just a front TFO for sale? I don't think anyone makes that. I have TFOs on my G27 and the 27 is very accurate up to 15 yards. I can put 10 rnds through a Federal 50 rnd ammo box, no problem. I have not shot outside to see about further, but I imagine it will shoot further just as well. My Shield, that's different. I have to get used to it or something. I can't put all seven rnds through the ammo box at 7 yrds. Please, make some suggestions. I guess I could get the new TFOs for a Shield, but they are not the coolest looking sights, that's for sure. I'm trying to draw on all the experience out there. It gets very expensive experimenting with everything myself.:unsure:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I put XS Sights on all my defense handguns. I prefer the Big Dot in case I'm not wearing my glasses. No lining up anything , just put the golf ball over the target and shoot. Reality is that in a real gun fight you will not see your sights. Ask anyone who has been in one. My brother was in a gun fight at about 5 feet and said he never saw his sights. Here is a pic of my Shield with XS. Sorry for the crappy pic!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the Hi-viz green front and red rear sights on the way for my 9mm. I haven't ever tried this combination before, but I prefer contrast and think this will serve me well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just ordered a dawson fiber optic for my P 22 , as the stock sight setup on it sux..if i like it, i might be back to ordering a blacked out rear and FO for one of my Full sizes to try out

·
Registered
273 Posts
I bought a set of warren tactical sights. Fibre front and black rear. I ended up not liking the U notch of the rear sight. I went back to the stock rear but filled in the dimples so it was a smooth surface and then re-painted the whole sight so it looks like it never had any dimples in it. I still run the fibre front and it works good. The problem with a lot of sight sets is that you can't always buy just a front or rear. TFO's included. If you can get a fibre front that is standard height buy it and DIY your stock rear. All I used was JB weld to fill the dimples and trimclad to paint it. And before anyone on here beaks off it's held up just fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for your feed back. I'll post pics of what I decide to do. I have never tried XS, but they seem too big to shoot pop cans off a fence or make nice groups on paper. I think I want night sights front and rear, but I like the idea of the HiViz front and JB Weld and paint the rear. If I'm not going to see my sights in a fight why get tritium? Thanks again for the variety of ideas.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I ran my m&p with a blacked out rear and painted front for quite awhile and it worked well. However, I highly recommend checking out either 10-8 performance sights or trijicon hd sights. There's something about the u-notch rear that gives such a clean sight picture and makes transitioning from target to target very smooth.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ran my m&p with a blacked out rear and painted front for quite awhile and it worked well. However, I highly recommend checked out either 10-8 performance sights or trijicon hd sights. There's something about the u-notch rear that gives such a clean sight picture and makes transitioning from target to target very smooth.
I was wondering about the U-notch vs the 90 degree corners. Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i put the HiVis SW2007 on the front and left the back. I didn't like the sight, very hard to see in low light. I could see the white dot better. I may try the Williams Fire sites.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Anybody have any other suggestions? Has anyone seen just a front TFO for sale? I don't think anyone makes that. I have TFOs on my G27 and the 27 is very accurate up to 15 yards. I can put 10 rnds through a Federal 50 rnd ammo box, no problem. I have not shot outside to see about further, but I imagine it will shoot further just as well. My Shield, that's different. I have to get used to it or something. I can't put all seven rnds through the ammo box at 7 yrds. Please, make some suggestions. I guess I could get the new TFOs for a Shield, but they are not the coolest looking sights, that's for sure. I'm trying to draw on all the experience out there. It gets very expensive experimenting with everything myself.:unsure:
You might try Dawson Precision. They have sights in sets or individual front or rear sights. Great selection of sights... FO, night sights, etc.

I run Dawson FO adjustable rears and FO fronts on my competition pistols. Top quality sights and great customer service.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Ameriglo offers just the front sights if that's something your're interested in. I'm going to change my front with their SW212-230-O. It has a green tritium center for low light, with orange outline which I prefer for day. Gonna stick with blacked out factory rears for now. $51.20 free shipping at m.tactical-store.com.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I put XS Sights on all my defense handguns. I prefer the Big Dot in case I'm not wearing my glasses. No lining up anything , just put the golf ball over the target and shoot. Reality is that in a real gun fight you will not see your sights. Ask anyone who has been in one. My brother was in a gun fight at about 5 feet and said he never saw his sights. Here is a pic of my Shield with XS. Sorry for the crappy pic!
Nice those were my second choise.. look badass

1 - 20 of 28 Posts