MP-Pistol Forum banner

silicon cloth on M&P?

8K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  Eddo36 
G
#1 ·
Does it work in cleaning, or does it ruin the finish to the point where you can't re-apply melonite to it anymore?

#4 ·
Nope no problems there either in order to re-do the melonite or to apply Duracoat the gun must be preped (cleaned and blasted) both of which will remove the silicone so wipe away.

G
#5 ·
Thank you, I know how to clean the gun, but what does blasting mean?

And I'm not using DuraCoat to spray the whole slide, but rather touching up the faded/nicked areas of the finish. Do I still have to give it a blasting?

G
#8 ·
YukonGlocker said:
Media blasting-it removes all the old finish.

So it'll get rid of the factory Melonite finish?? Umm that really isn't what I want to do with, just wanna spray DuraCoat to cover a few nicks and scratches that will eventually build up in the future. Can't I simply spray it on, and will it be effective?

G
#10 ·
Well, I don't wanna pay hundred of dollars to cover up a few scartches to keep my gun looking new. Just thought a can of DuraCoat can do it effectively, and won't mess up my gun, either in function or cosmetics.

#13 ·
Eddo36 said:
[quote name='YukonGlocker']Media blasting-it removes all the old finish.

So it'll get rid of the factory Melonite finish?? Umm that really isn't what I want to do with, just wanna spray DuraCoat to cover a few nicks and scratches that will eventually build up in the future. Can't I simply spray it on, and will it be effective?[/quote]

Media blasting will remove the black finish. The steel remains protected by the Melonite treatment (as long as you don't blast too deep).

You asked if silicone will hurt the finish.

Dan said it wouldn't b/c the slide would have to be blasted to be re-finished.

You asked what blasting is.

I explained what blasting does.

I know that isn't what you want to do. I was just answering your question.

A few nicks and scratches will look much better than spots of another finish.

#14 ·
I know you aren't likely to like my answer either or maybe you will. But the time money and energy it would take to take care of some minor scratches nicks with duracoat just isn't worth it. Not to mention it will likely look pretty bad trying to just do touch-ups on it.

If you want a gun to look perfect buy a second M&P and keep it in the safe, then beat the crap out of your fist one. See then you get the best of both worlds

G
#16 ·
Well, touch-ups can't be THAT hard or expensive to do. hmmm... what happens if I apply DuraCoat without blasting? The DuraCoat will wear out after a while? If that's the case, I can just apply a new layer, no?

#19 ·
finish

Eddo36, I haven't had time to subject my M&P to much yet, but I have a feeling the Melonite is going to hold up much better than you expect, I bet it won't need a touch-up for some time. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure that then next gun that I have refinished will be with this same stuff. It looks to me like it will hold up much better than any of the dark polymer finishes.

#20 ·
Eddo36 said:
Well, touch-ups can't be THAT hard or expensive to do. hmmm... what happens if I apply DuraCoat without blasting? The DuraCoat will wear out after a while? If that's the case, I can just apply a new layer, no?

Here are my concerns:

I have yet to see a touch up job that didn't look like a touch-up job. I'd rather see the original mark rather than some one's spots all over the place in an attempt to cover the marks up.

If you just keep spraying on a new layer each time you get a couple love marks a couple things are going to happen. First without proper prep you will get chipping not just wear you will then have to blast to get the whole layer off so the chip won't be apparent with the next spraying. second if some how you don't get chips you will start to get excessive build-up which will start to cause problems with parts fitting properly.

Not to mention how many times do you really want to take the sights off? They will get loose if you do it enough.

Just a whole lot of reasons not to do it. If it the appearance you are concerned with aren't you concerned with doing it correctly so it actually looks good when you are done?

Now if you want I'll help you any way I can so you can do it properly but I am just getting visions of my friends second hand saxophone he had in 5th grade we counted no less than 6 different colors as we flaked off the layers of paint.

I am not trying to discourage you as much as I am trying to encourage you to do it right.

G
#21 ·
Thanks a lot and I appreciate the info. I don't mind it looking like a touch up job. I'm not aiming to make the gun appear flawless under a microscope. Just as long as the scratches don't show up unless you know exactly where to look. And I know that it won't happen so fast, but this is my only handgun and I use it a lot on the range, and after a few years I'll bet some marks will start appearing no matter how well I try to prevent it while I use it.

Would a re-Melonite job on the slide be better? Would it be more expensive than a typical hot blue job on a non-stainless-steel gun?

#22 ·
Eddo36,

I don't believe Duracoat was designed to touchup anything, but

something that had been previously finished in Duracoat.

I have done a few finishes with KG gunkote, which I think is similar to

Duracoat.

I know with gunkote you have to prep (bead blast) the metal, do a major cleaning, spray

and then a major bake time. If you just spray the paint on, it will simply brush off

when it dries.

Also remember that under the melonite is stainless steel.

To use gunkote you have to treat the metal first with K-phos to

get the paint to adhere.

I'm not sure if duracoat can even be used on stainless.

When my M&P slide starts showing signs of wear, it is getting stripped, prepped

and will have a nice coat of OD green applied.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.