MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I failed at installing the DP front optic sight so I was quite bummed. I called Dawson and they asked me to check the measurements as they haven't heard of these problems with the M&P.

Well the stock and the DP were ~.400", wide-side to side (not that that should matter too much) but the DP was about .275" front to back and the stock was .255" front to back. I suspect this is crucial measurement as this is mostly what determines the fit in the dovetail in the slide. This seems WAY off. They confirmed that you should only need to remove a tiny bit from the bottom and possibly file the front edge of the sight to help it go in. This doesn't seem right to me. Has anyone noticed this?

EDIT: I also just did a quick measurement of my rear sights. DP was .460" (front to back) and the stock was .450". This does seem far off AND the stock one was very loose.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
The hardest part is usually getting the factory sight off!! If you did that the rest is a walk in the park. Yes, all the DP sights seem to be WAY to big. I just took mine to a stone and sanded of the bottom of their sight until it would go in about 1/3 to 1/2 way, then some locktite and drift it in! You may want to redress the edges slightly after grinding off the bottom. Test fit as you go along so you don't go to far either!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
coltman1985 said:
The hardest part is usually getting the factory sight off!! If you did that the rest is a walk in the park. Yes, all the DP sights seem to be WAY to big. I just took mine to a stone and sanded of the bottom of their sight until it would go in about 1/3 to 1/2 way, then some locktite and drift it in! You may want to redress the edges slightly after grinding off the bottom. Test fit as you go along so you don't go to far either!!

Yeah- getting the stock one off wasn't too bad.. that's why I suspect the Dawson sights are WAY too big like you said. Either way the base of the DP sights are NG now....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone else have some recommendations on this? DP says you don't need to remove material from the bottom of the sight... I can't understand how removing material just from the front edge would work.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I have used Dawson sights on various pistols and the M&P was the first one that reqd removing material. If you want it on, get a flat stone and start removing material off the bottom of the sight. Otherwise call Dawson up and tell them it doesn't fit and they should install it for you. Be nice but persistant!!

·
Registered
936 Posts
It depends where the oversize dimensions are.

If the metal is too wide, youll have to do as dawson says, if its too deep, then the bottom words well.

The danger with filing the bottom, is that the bottom of the sight blade may contact the top of the slide before the dovetail is bottomed in the cut, since the blade overhangs the front and back of the slide cut.

I always use a set of calipers to determine where to file.

Not to sound know it all, but this is the exact kind of issue that makes me hesitate to say that installing sights are an easy "drop-in" mod.

Ive ruined sights before by assuming that a sight was oversized in only one dimension.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts