MP-Pistol Forum banner

Slide and barrel hood rust on M&P 45

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  RepeatDefender 
#1 ·
Nothing too serious, but enough to alarm me that the gun may not have been finished properly. Before anyone questions, I do take care of my guns. I regularly wipe-down, strip, and re-lube. I only trust 3 products for gun care: EEZOX, CLP, and Militec-1. I have never had any amount of rust develop on any of my short guns or long guns.

So, needless to say I was very concerned when I found my bed-side HD gun had small amounts of rust on the slide and barrel hood. My M&P .45's serial is MPN44xx (born on 4-18-2007).

I called S&W last night and they immediately offered to send me a postage paid return label.

As this is my first time sending a gun back to S&W, is there anything I should know ahead of time or do? Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

#2 ·
I would send the gun without magazine. Unless of course if the magazine has also rusted.

The manual say's to send everything back but if you do chances are you will not get it all back without negotiating. They have plenty of mag's to test with.

:twisted:

#7 ·
TAC said:
Rust? It's stainless steel. :?:

A lot of people are surprised by the fact that stainless steel guns rust. There are many grades of so-called stainless steel, none of which are impervious to rust, but each of which resist corrosion to varying degrees. Depending on the other metalurgical properties you want in the material, you usually have to make a trade-off in corrosion resistance vs. tensile strength, resistance to galling, or whatever.

The short version is, the kind of stainless steel that your gun is made of isn't the same kind as, say, your kitchen sink. It will rust if not cared for properly, exposed to extreme conditions (e.g. prolonged salt water exposure) or if there was just some kind of mistake made at the factory during heat-treating, finishing, etc.

#8 ·
BateleurRGB said:
[quote name='TAC']Rust? It's stainless steel. :?:

A lot of people are surprised by the fact that stainless steel guns rust. There are many grades of so-called stainless steel, none of which are impervious to rust, but each of which resist corrosion to varying degrees. Depending on the other metalurgical properties you want in the material, you usually have to make a trade-off in corrosion resistance vs. tensile strength, resistance to galling, or whatever.

The short version is, the kind of stainless steel that your gun is made of isn't the same kind as, say, your kitchen sink. It will rust if not cared for properly, exposed to extreme conditions (e.g. prolonged salt water exposure) or if there was just some kind of mistake made at the factory during heat-treating, finishing, etc.[/quote]

I realize that, but with the stainless, then the protective coating treatment that S&W puts on it, and then usually a thin coat of oil...I find it odd that it would still rust. There was a lot of similar talk in the SIG forum, and I think they found out what they thought was rust, was actually some oxidation from the blackened treatment process, and not actual rust from the stainless steel.

#12 ·
Got the 45 back from Smith today! Nice, they really made my day! They replaced the slide and barrel on the M&P45. Plus they sent it back with an extra mag. Yes!

Almost like getting a brand new gun...heck with a brand new barrel, it is a new gun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.