MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been browsing this forum since it was started but don't post very often. I thought this might interest the board since I haven't seen this issue come up before.

I have a fairly new full-size M&P 9mm with about 500 rounds through it. I was shooting at the range and glanced down at the left side of the pistol and noticed a piece of steel protruding into the space between the frame and the slide just forward of the slide-stop notch. I field-stripped the pistol and found a large crack about an inch long on the left slide rail just forward of the slide-stop notch. It peeled the rail away from the slide and bent the slide rail down. The rail was the metal protrusion I noticed as I was shooting it. Ironically the pistol was still running great. I overnighted it to Smith and Wesson and they replaced the slide. I mailed it on a Monday afternoon and had it back by Friday morning. Smith and Wesson paid the shipping both ways. It's been running fine ever since. Smith and Wesson said they hadn't seen this problem before and attributed it to a flaw or weak spot in the piece of steel they used for that slide which sounded about right to me. I wish I had taken some pictures of the crack but I didn't have a digital camera handy before getting it shipped.

As a side-note I have been carrying the full-size .40 for police duty for about 9 months now. It has been flawless with well over 10,000 rounds through it. No problems whatsoever. No malfunctions even with pretty hard use. I have some duty-carry experience with Glocks, Sigs, Colts, and Kimbers and I have fallen in love with this M&P line.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I would have liked to see some pictures of that too.

I think it's great that your department has you shoot that much!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Slide crack or crack addict!

Newb's first post is a "slide crack".............nice try.

Go back to Glocktalk. Or at least provide the goods! Where are the pictures?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
My gosh guys it is his first post but he joind over a year ago! How about we welcome him to the forum before we roast his butt.

OK, Now back to BBQ :wink:

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Dan Burwell said:
My gosh guys it is his first post but he joind over a year ago! How about we welcome him to the forum before we roast his butt.

OK, Now back to BBQ :wink:

I will bring the potato salad

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Re: Slide crack or crack addict!

:wink:

MP40Fan said:
Newb's first post is a "slide crack".............nice try.

Go back to Glocktalk. Or at least provide the goods! Where are the pictures?

·
Registered
32 Posts
10,000 rounds through your duty weapon in 9 months?????????? That is 16.33 mags shot every week for 9 months. When do you have time for work?

MadDog 8)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts