MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone else has experienced this. I have an M&P 9mm, and sometimes when the pistol ran dry and the slide is locked back I'd slam home a loaded mag only to have the slide release on its own. I know this is less of a concern than stoppages for instance, but still I want to be in control of chambering process. Also, fyi, I do not use the slide release to chamber a round I do it by pulling the slide back and letting it slam home. So there is no wear-out problem causing this. One thought was that the Win White box ammo I was shooting is fairly under-charged so perhaps it was barely locking the slide back, if that is possible?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
choochboost said:
Nothing to worry about. Almost every pistol is capable of this. Some consider it a feature. :wink:

ME!

I'm one of those that consider this to be a "feature"

To date all my Glocks do it and now my M&P does it. I'm a happy camper :wink:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a question about this same thing....

The manual for the M&P warns that you should NOT do this. I suspect (but I'm not sure) that this recommendation is only for liability reasons, and does not harm/wear the gun at all. Is that the case???? Is it put in print just so that someone can't sue S&W by claiming that the "faulty" slide chambered a round and then the gun "just went off"?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback.

Shooter, I don't understand your question (maybe the others do). My situation is that the slide is dropping forward chambering a round after a loaded magazine is inserted....on its own. In other words, I am no doing anything.

[/i]

·
Registered
111 Posts
matteblack said:
In other words, I am no doing anything.
Yeah, mine does the same thing. I am just wondering why the manual instructs that we "do not do that"? Is that just for liability reasons, or is it harmful to the gun?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have two 9mm's and the issue seems to only be happening with the earlier one numbered MPF 00XX. My later one MPH 60XX does not seem to have the issue.

Those of you experiencing this, where does your number stack up with mine? I am wondering if it is reserved to the younger M&P's.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERY DAY....

Now that you bring the subject up, I always thought the slide was supposed to inject a round when a magazine was inserted. It does on my MP 40 and on my Sigma SW9VE but not on MP 9mm compact. Very confusing! I actually like it to load a round in the chamber.

But you are right. The manual actually says;

WARNING: DO NOT USE EXCESIVE UPWARD FORCE WHEN INSERTING A LOADED MAGAZINE INTO THE PISTOL. EXCESSIVE UPWARD FORCE COULD CAUSE THE SLIDE TO MOVE FORWARD, CHAMBERING A ROUND AND MAKING THE PISTOL READY TO FIRE.

·
Registered
524 Posts
sounds like liability BS to me.

WARNING: DO NOT TURN ON YOUR CAR OR IT MAY BE CAPABLE OF FORWARD MOTION AND MAY STRIKE AN OBJECT.

:roll:

Anyone have an idea of the mechanics behind this? Wouldn't slamming a mag home just put upward pressure onto the slide stop, doing nothing at all? My pistol doesn't do it....be kinda cool if it did.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I agree on the legal disclaimer. People do stupid things when they think the gun is unloaded. Sometimes people don't even realize the slide has closed and chambered a round when the mag is inserted forcefully. For some this could be dangerous.

My wife has a tendency to slam in the mag and from time to time the slide will return to battery (not just with the M&P). This happened a couple times when she was a new shooter and she racked the slide to chamber a round, but ended up ejecting a round instead.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hummm, thanks for tha info... I think I will consider it a benefit when wanting to pop off a couple of mags as fast as I can.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Food for thought:

My instructors have mentioned this happening and they don't care for it for a couple of reasons. First, unless the slide is pulled completely to the rear and released, you don't get the full compression of the recoil spring and the subsequent force to chamber the round leading the the remote possiblility of a failure to go to battery. Also, how do you know that a round was chambered? What if you do that and get a click no bang? They always recommended racking the slide, even if it goes forward on magazine insertion. Now I'll grant that the above cases are probably rare and not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but when my life is on the line you can be that rare is unacceptable for me.

MC

·
Registered
111 Posts
walkingbush said:
Food for thought:

First, unless the slide is pulled completely to the rear and released, you don't get the full compression of the recoil spring and the subsequent force to chamber the round leading the the remote possiblility of a failure to go to battery.

On your first point, I'm not so concerned. You will get the same (essentially) slide force as when you simply release the slide lock, in order to chamber the first round. That is how many people do it, and that's what the gun was designed to do.

walkingbush said:
Also, how do you know that a round was chambered?
I do share this concern. Slamming the mag in and having the slide chamber a round, all in that one step, is too fast for me. Call me paranoid, but when this happens I always verify that I do have a round in the chamber.

Ideally, I would prefer that slamming the mag did NOT release the slide. There would be 2 advantages to this. First, consistency! Whatever happens, I want it to happen ALL the time and every time. I should not have to think or question, especially when I do not have the time to do so.

Second, I would know that the mag is fully inserted before the slide is released. That would give me full confidence that I released the slide on purpose, rather than some jarring motion doing it (possibly before the mag is fully engaged).

*I want reliability, over convenience.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I had a long post deleted on this topic so I will try and be more careful and not make Jester's job tougher. Many (myself included) think that the slide releasing when the mag is forcefully seated is a good thing. S&W and HK both mention in their owners manual that it is not a design flaw. Some are worried that the slide will close without the mag fully seated. I don't believe this is a valid worry as it it the force of the mag coming to an abrupt stop when fully seated that is tripping the slide release. There is no faster way to recharge an empty weapon than this way since there is no extra motions needed. My only problem with it is you cannot be sure it is going to do it so one needs to always be prepared to manually drop the slide in whatever is your chosed method. If one would go to the HKPro forum, guys there are very happy that their P2000s slides drop when slamming a magazine home. Hopefully this post will not get deleted 8)

·
Registered
83 Posts
A quote that I like is "Train like you fight and you will fight like you train." The whatif factor is too great for my taste to not manually rack the slide each and every time in order to build "muscle memory." That way if it doesn't release I won't have to sit there and try to figure out what happened while I'm in the middle of a bad situation.

MC

·
Registered
111 Posts
walkingbush said:
A quote that I like is "Train like you fight and you will fight like you train." The whatif factor is too great...

I totally agree with you.

walkingbush said:
...manually rack the slide each and every time in order to build "muscle memory."...
Does this mean that, when you slam a mag and the slide releases, you still rack the slide and eject a round??

I would be more likely to live with the assumption that slamming the mag does load a round, rather than re-rack and expell a live round. Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts