MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first M&P (full size 9mm) Wed night and decided to clean/lube it before shooting. When I was finished and went to put the slide back on I could not get it to come all the way back into position. It kept feeling like it was hitting something. I checked the lever that you rotate to get the slide off and it was down. I ended up having to use the disassembly tool to reach through the back cover of the slide and push the hump on the trigger bar slightly to the left to get the slide to go on. Is this normal?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Did you put a mag in? Was the guiderod installed properly? Did you just stop when you felt a little friction or did you give it a good push?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not have a mag in and the guide rod was installed properly. It would not go on no matter how hard I pushed. When I slid the disassembly tool through the samll hole on the back of the rear slide cover and used it to gently push the hump on th etrigger bar slightly to the right, the slide went on perfectly and easily. For reference, my M&P 9 doesn't have the lock or mag safety, and the sear disconnect was in the down position.

After getting the slide on I dry fired a few times and everything appears to working properly. I'll be taking to the range in the morning to run its first couple hundred rounds through it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Adam5 said:
I bought my first M&P (full size 9mm) Wed night and decided to clean/lube it before shooting. When I was finished and went to put the slide back on I could not get it to come all the way back into position. It kept feeling like it was hitting something. I checked the lever that you rotate to get the slide off and it was down. I ended up having to use the disassembly tool to reach through the back cover of the slide and push the hump on the trigger bar slightly to the left to get the slide to go on. Is this normal?

If you recently changed the rear sight, in all probability, the spring is not seating correctly under the cap (in the rear dovetail), therefore the plunger is not depressing all the way down ergo the slide won't seat properly on the frame. Same thing happened to me. Unfortunately, you have to re-do the procedure. I think there is an easy way but I couldn't do it and ended up sending my slide to Dan. DO NOT FORCE THE SLIDE ON THE FRAME. If you test the plunger underneath the slide by pressing it down with a pencil, and it doesn't depress all the way down, you got a problem.

Dan, we need you help here. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Adam5 you may want to hold down the takedown lever, sometimes they move while putting back together. If you did have rear sights changed let us know and we can walk you through teardown and reassembly of the plunger spring if need be.

·
Registered
638 Posts
coltman1985 said:
Adam5 you may want to hold down the takedown lever, sometimes they move while putting back together. If you did have rear sights changed let us know and we can walk you through teardown and reassembly of the plunger spring if need be.

Colt, I for one would love to be walked through teardown and reassembly of the plunger spring. I spent a whole afternoon trying to figure it out but then I am severely tool challenged. Manual labor and me go about as good together as Rossie and The Donald.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Need: Plastic grocery bag, brass or aluminum punch, hammer, allen wrench for sight, good sturdy vise, and tape.

Check, clear and remove slide. Wrap your slide in tape to protect the finish and mount securely into the vise. Remove the allen screw from rear sight and tap out rear sight from left to right (toward the ejection side.) When it "breaks lose" it will tap out fairly easily but don't go too far until you wrap it in the plastic grocery bag. About 2/3 way out STOP, you will see the "shiny" plunger sring cap starting to get exposed, the only thing holding that and the sping in is the rear sight. You want to make sure you catch them or they will fly to the ends of the earth, that is why I suggest the use of the bag as a backup. Finish tapping out the sight and you will have the plunger, plunger spring, and cap hopefully!!

To reinstall just reverse the order. The tricky part is starting the sight on and then getting the spring and cap back on. I like to have the sight over the opening a little and then "slide" the spring and cap into position. Use the bag especially here because if you let the spring step out sideways it will be gone forever! It takes a little practice to get it back together and a lot of patience!! It would be nice if they would put a keeper ring on the cap for the spring! Just push it down and hold it while you move the sight over the cap. At this point in the beginning of the sight install it moves fairly easily. Finish tapping in and reinstall the allen screw. reassemble and function/safety check.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nothing has been changed, I had bought the pistol about 2 hours earlier and it was unfired. The take down lever was in the proper position as was the guide rod and spring. Pushing the hup to the right let the slide slide right on. Every thing works when dry firing, I'll be running it at the range in the morning.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry I'm not the best photographer, but I'll give this a try.

If you can see the hump on the back of the trigger connector bar, it's on a spring and can move slightly to the outside and will spring back.

I inserted the disassembly tool into the hole on the right side back of the slide cover plate. (seen here)

I used the disassembly tool to push the hump on the trigger bar slightly to the outside and slide went right on. When I reassembled after taking the pics the same thing worked perfectly.

Adam

·
Registered
638 Posts
coltman1985 said:
Need: Plastic grocery bag, brass or aluminum punch, hammer, allen wrench for sight, good sturdy vise, and tape.

Check, clear and remove slide. Wrap your slide in tape to protect the finish and mount securely into the vise. Remove the allen screw from rear sight and tap out rear sight from left to right (toward the ejection side.) When it "breaks lose" it will tap out fairly easily but don't go too far until you wrap it in the plastic grocery bag. About 2/3 way out STOP, you will see the "shiny" plunger sring cap starting to get exposed, the only thing holding that and the sping in is the rear sight. You want to make sure you catch them or they will fly to the ends of the earth, that is why I suggest the use of the bag as a backup. Finish tapping out the sight and you will have the plunger, plunger spring, and cap hopefully!!

To reinstall just reverse the order. The tricky part is starting the sight on and then getting the spring and cap back on. I like to have the sight over the opening a little and then "slide" the spring and cap into position. Use the bag especially here because if you let the spring step out sideways it will be gone forever! It takes a little practice to get it back together and a lot of patience!! It would be nice if they would put a keeper ring on the cap for the spring! Just push it down and hold it while you move the sight over the cap. At this point in the beginning of the sight install it moves fairly easily. Finish tapping in and reinstall the allen screw. reassemble and function/safety check.

Colt, I must have 10 thumbs because I did exactly what you outlined, down to the plastic bag. I could not for the life of me get the cap over the spring the way it should and then get the sight over the cap At one point I did think had it right but as I said earlier, the spring obviously was not seating properly under the cap and the plunger underneath the slide would fail to go all the way down. No way are you going to get the slide on the frame when that happens. Video!! That's ticket! I need to see a video! And hope nothing ever happens to Dan Burwell.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I see Adam's problem was not related to removing the rear sight. So we have two issues being discussed in one thread. Sorry, if I mucked things up but I am still in a daze on this spring and cap business. It drove me nuts yesterday. What a klutz I obviously am.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't worry about it, no big deal.

Mine isn't a problem. Everything works fine. I was just curios about if it's normal or not.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Kraigster: I told you that it takes some patience and a little practice. I didn't say it was easy!! But you can get the hang of it with a little time. This is one area where S&W could have improved thier design!!

Adam5: You wan't harm anything doing what you are doing, but you shouldn't have to do that! The pic is very blury but it sounds like the connector might be off a little. It does bend easily.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ran a couple hundred rounds through it Sat and it was accurate and flawless. I sill had to push the trigger bar over to reinstall the slide, but that's not the end of the world.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts