MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here and have a question. The slide is very stiff and hard to pull back to load a round and to disassemble it. I have an M&P .380 EZ and have not had this issue with it. Is it that I have not put that many rounds through it (about 200 if I remember right) or could it be another issue. I was going to completely break it down and re-lube and clean it over the holiday but was looking for suggestions.

Thanks,

TD

·
Registered
402 Posts
If have never broken it down and cleaned and oiled it, make it your New Years resolution.
It's the first thing I do when I get a new gun, I never shoot it until I field strip it and oil it.
If you have and have shot 200 rounds through it, it needs to be cleaned anyway.
Oil the spots in your owners manual but also put a drop of oil on your guide rod.
It should be pretty smooth after that. If it isn't then there might be a problem.
Does it make any crunching or abnormal sounds when you pull the slide back?
If no, it's probably just a tight gun, if yes then you might want to worry.
It's probably nothing and needs some rounds shot through it.
Clean it and oil it, a clean gun is a happy gun.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The regular M&Ps are much harder to rack than the EZs. People who had trouble racking a regular pistol were S&W's target for the EZs. Which model is your new M&P?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Filthy dirty will make little difference on the friction between the frame rails and the slide.

To make the slide racking procedure physically easier consider changing the conventional manner in which a right hand shooter would perform the task. Rather than holding the pistol stable with your right hand while you attempt to pull the slide to the rear with your support hand, change to keeping the support hand grasping the slide in place in space while using your right hand gripping the pistol to push the pistol firearm forward on the slide; in this manner you are using your larger muscle groups of your dominant side (arm and shoulder) to perform the bulk of the force task. You can sling shot or lock the slide to the rear just as fast, just using different muscle groups.

Caution: Pseudoscience and / or amateur photos may be embedded in this post.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Filthy dirty will make little difference on the friction between the frame rails and the slide.

To make the slide racking procedure physically easier consider changing the conventional manner in which a right hand shooter would perform the task. Rather than holding the pistol stable with your right hand while you attempt to pull the slide to the rear with your support hand, change to keeping the support hand grasping the slide in place in space while using your right hand gripping the pistol to push the pistol firearm forward on the slide; in this manner you are using your larger muscle groups of your dominant side (arm and shoulder) to perform the bulk of the force task. You can sling shot or lock the slide to the rear just as fast, just using different muscle groups.

Caution: Pseudoscience and / or amateur photos may be embedded in this post.
I'm not saying it is filthy dirty. What I'm saying is exactly what I wrote. If you buy a new gun you should field strip it and oil it before you shoot it. If that has never happened then especially after shooting I am a firm believer in cleaning and oiling as soon as you can get to it even if it's 50 rounds. Personally I believe the OPs gun is new and tight but even with Smith and Wesson you never know how long that gun has been sitting. I have taken new guns out their cases and they were full of what looked to be cosmoline. I am not talking Garands but brand new pistols.
It never hurts to field strip and lube a new gun. It never hurts to clean a gun properly. If anything you learn a little bit about the gun.
If I had a dirty gun right now I wouldn't be writing on this forum, I would be cleaning and oiling the dirty gun but that's me, hence a clean gun is a happy gun.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've bought several S&W handguns lately and every one of them the owners manual says to field strip, clean and oil before first use. If you didn't do that it would be my first step.

I have a Shield 1.0 and a Compact 2.0 and they are both harder to rack the slide than my Ruger Security 9. I don't think there's anything wrong with them, it's just the way they are.

Everybody has their preference for cleaning frequency but I always follow what my dad taught me 60 years ago. Every time I shoot a gun I clean it when I get home. No matter how many rounds I put through it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New here and have a question. The slide is very stiff and hard to pull back to load a round and to disassemble it. I have an M&P .380 EZ and have not had this issue with it. Is it that I have not put that many rounds through it (about 200 if I remember right) or could it be another issue. I was going to completely break it down and re-lube and clean it over the holiday but was looking for suggestions.

Thanks,

TD
Thanks, Mick breaking it all the way down today.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I have noticed that the slide on my m & P 380 EZ is WAY more easier to rack. I am going to try the suggestions and see what happens. Thanks again.

The regular M&Ps are much harder to rack than the EZs. People who had trouble racking a regular pistol were S&W's target for the EZs. Which model is your new M&P?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts