MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new gun owner. I was teaching myself how to take my gun down. Followed along with a YouTube video and disassembled cleaned and reassembled just as they did. Upon reloading an empty magazine I tried to rack the slide back to make sure everything went well. When I pulled back it immediately went into lock position. I tried to pull back on the slide to release it but it will not released unless I take the magazine out. Please let me know if this can be fixed or do I need to send it in to Smith&Wesson

thank you

·
Registered
170 Posts
Are you saying that the slide locks back with an empty mag inserted? If so, that’s what it’s supposed to do. The follower inside the mag pushes the slide stop up to catch the slide and hold it open. It does that so you can insert a loaded mag and release the slide to chamber a round. Removing the empty mag would let the slide stop drop when you pull the slide back. Inserting a loaded mag would do the same. The bullets in the mag push the follower down so it doesn’t push up on the slide stop and lock the slide back. The purpose of the slide locking back is to let you know that the gun is empty. Having the slide locked back allows you to insert a full mag easily and release the slide to chamber the next round without having to pull it all the way back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes that is what I am saying. I just dont remember it doing that when I first got the gun. I went to the gun range yesterday so idk if it makes a difference that the gun has been discharged.

I will test with blanks in mag and report back
Are you saying that the slide locks back with an empty mag inserted? If so, that’s what it’s supposed to do. The follower inside the mag pushes the slide stop up to catch the slide and hold it open. It does that so you can insert a loaded mag and release the slide to chamber a round. Removing the empty mag would let the slide stop drop when you pull the slide back. Inserting a loaded mag would do the same. The bullets in the mag push the follower down so it doesn’t push up on the slide stop and lock the slide back. The purpose of the slide locking back is to let you know that the gun is empty. Having the slide locked back allows you to insert a full mag easily and release the slide to chamber the next round without having to pull it all the way back.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yes that is what I am saying. I just dont remember it doing that when I first got the gun. I went to the gun range yesterday so idk if it makes a difference that the gun has been discharged.

I will test with blanks in mag and report back
No reason to test - it's working properly.

As Cokeman said, the magazine follower pushes up on the slide lock and locks it open when the mag is empty. It does this every time when you fire the last round in the magazine.

Without a magazine inserted the slide will move freely, and not lock back unless the slide lock is manually pushed to engage it.

This is standard operation with almost all firearms with a magazine.

Just a suggestion -

If this is your first firearm, or first semiauto pistol, I would encourage you to get some training in order to familiarize yourself with your firearm and become a proficient shooter. Being taught by a qualified professional is a much better way to learn than trying to teach yourself - especially when dealing with firearms.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I am a new gun owner. I was teaching myself how to take my gun down. Followed along with a YouTube video and disassembled cleaned and reassembled just as they did. Upon reloading an empty magazine I tried to rack the slide back to make sure everything went well. When I pulled back it immediately went into lock position. I tried to pull back on the slide to release it but it will not released unless I take the magazine out. Please let me know if this can be fixed or do I need to send it in to Smith&Wesson

thank you
That’s exactly what it's supposed to do; lock back on an empty mag.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Yes, yes, yes, please do take lessons! Most ranges have basic pistol classes, carry permit classes and advanced classes. Some have classes for women taught by women and those are the best for new women shooters. You do not have to travel way far away to find decent basic classes.

I work with quite a few new women shooters each year through our club's "for women only" group, and the object of the group is to help women of all skill levels shoot SAFELY and accurately and have fun. Mostly we get newbies, and that's fine! It is a delight to see the smile and shining eyes of a woman who actually learns how to hold her gun and stand properly and then hits the center of her target!

We also do focused skill drills which use way less ammunition but build skills and good habits. With the price of ammunition and lack of availability, it seems to me it is really important to not waste even one round of ammunition, but to make every shot a learning experience........while having fun.

Learn your gun, learn all the rules, practice them faithfully, and most of all: ENJOY SHOOTING SAFELY!

Reactions: jkv45

·
Registered
15 Posts
Everyone jumping on the band wagon here, but nobody asked, “Can you pulldown the slide lock and release your slide into battery (closes) with an empty mag installed?” Makes it a tad easier to slightly pull the slide back as you pulldown the slide lock to do this. If your slide releases (closes) your gun is operating as designed. You put your gun back together as you should. Lessons is the best thing you could do. Many teachers out there today. Welcome, and Good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Excellent question, and what's better: excellent answers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Everyone jumping on the band wagon here, but nobody asked, “Can you pulldown the slide lock and release your slide into battery (closes) with an empty mag installed?” Makes it a tad easier to slightly pull the slide back as you pulldown the slide lock to do this. If your slide releases (closes) your gun is operating as designed. You put your gun back together as you should. Lessons is the best thing you could do. Many teachers out there today. Welcome, and Good luck!

thank you
Working as designed.

You can manually lower the slide lock to release the slide on an empty mag if you wish.
True...but Renenber...the slide stop IS NOT intended to be a SLIDE RELESSE. S&W advises pull the slide to the rear enough tlo take the pressure of the slide lock and then disengage it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
True...but Renenber...the slide stop IS NOT intended to be a SLIDE RELESSE. S&W advises pull the slide to the rear enough tlo take the pressure of the slide lock and then disengage it.
I was going to say that... but it tends to get "controversial".

Lots of people are of the opinion "I know what the @$#*& manual says, I want to do it my way!!!"

:)

·
Registered
15 Posts

thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have one too. I love it. With the magizine on the pistol and you pull back the slide, its going to lock back . It should or, somethings wrong. It will do the same thing when shooting and the magizine empties. It shouldn't do this without a magazine in it .
Took me a while to learn how to hold and shoot it accurately. Its a little snappy. I found out if I use a 124 or 147 grain , it helps out .
But, learning how to hold and grip helps tremendously. It wont happen over night be patient. DON'T and get upset and sell it . I have 5 different pistols from 3.1 to 5 inch barrel.It is easier to shoot with a longer barrel but , a longer barrel makes it to big to carry .
Anyways, I shoot the Sheild better then any of them. Learning what the trigger does when you pull it helps too. You gotta feel the trigger out and figure when its going to shoot. I dry fired mine to learn it .That is , firing it without any ammo in it .Learn the trigger and learn how to hold it and hold properly at the same time .
When you can dry fire it without seeing the pistol moving when you dry fire, then you will know you are holding and gripping it properly. Hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
@New girl owner
Its working as per design.

Try this:
1) Firearm in safe direction,
2) muzzle pointed down,
3) pull the magazine out of the gun,
4) use your hand to pull the slide rearward,
5) slide lock lever will drop on its own,
6) the slide will move freely forward into battery.

Get advice and training from local firearms trainers in your area.
Check their references, talk to others who were trained by these trainers.
Watch some youtube vidoes. But take them with a grain of salt. Not everybody is an expert.

And please don`t use the slide lock lever as a slide release. Grip-it & Rip it! (aka SLINGSHOT)

This video is a very good one. Watch it until you FULLY understand it.

Reactions: rugmankc
1 - 15 of 15 Posts