MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EDIT : Still not working 100% : (

Today i decided to take my gun back to the shop that i purchased it from since they have a life time warranty they offer in house. When i get there i talked to the owner that i have purchased several guns from and he told me this was his first one that he had come back to the store. I drop the gun off and get a call about 30 min later. He tells me that a Smith and Wesson rep called him and asked him if he needed anything since he was in the area and he was like as a matter of fact i do... so long story short the rep did know of this problem and it was with the slide release spring and they do have an updated spring that fixes this that he happened to have with him so my gun was fixed by smith in less that an hr not bad huh?

Just picked the gun up. I guess the new spring also consist of a new slide lock. I noticed they left the old one in the case. So i took a picture with the old one beside the gun and the new on installed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope this fixes it as i have yet to shoot it. But the rep seemed rather confident that it would. Time will tell.

Adam

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I don't mean is it harder to push down (release the slide).

I mean is the slide lock harder to push up???

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No it is easy to push up but now there is a longer travel for the slide release It move about 1/4 3/8 of an inch up. Compared to the couple mm before

·
Registered
52 Posts
Okay, I have a couple questions as I try to understand what is different.

1. You said a new mag release spring was part of the fix. Is this correct? I can't see how a different mag release spring would help, so I assume you meant a new slide release return spring. I can see how a stiffer return spring would prevent the mag follower from inadvertently lifting the slide release with one round still in the magazine.

2. Is there a change in the lift tab height on the new slide release? (the tab engaged by the mag follower) A slightly higher tab would seem to help prevent inadvertent lifting, as well.

3. Are you certain the slide release has more travel now? It rests against the frame, and can only lift until it hits the top of the slot in the slide. Were either of these surfaces changed? If not, I'd think the travel would stay the same.

Thanks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it was a typo i fixed it thanks for pointing it out. I am not sure if it is a difference but it seems like there is a lot more travel then before. I could be imaging this but who knows.

Adam

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went shooting today only had 100 rounds with me in 9mm but on the 39th round it locked open again. It only did this once to me but i still do not consider this fixed. It is going to go back to the store i purchased it from so they can send it to smith so i do not have to be home when they try to send it back to me.

Adam

SO THIS IS NOT A 100% SOLUTION

but it did reduce the number of times it occurred about 8 fold.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Adam500 said:
Went shooting today only had 100 rounds with me in 9mm but on the 39th round it locked open again. It only did this once to me but i still do not consider this fixed. It is going to go back to the store i purchased it from so they can send it to smith so i do not have to be home when they try to send it back to me.

Adam

SO THIS IS NOT A 100% SOLUTION

but it did reduce the number of times it occurred about 8 fold.

D--n! I thought we had you taken car of Adam. Sorry to hear that. Even if it did it just once, it's no good. I am inclined to believe from my experience, that it is not the slide lever pe se but the spring.

You know Smith will send you a pre-paid label (by email or snail man, your preference) if you just give them a call. It is perfectly legal for you as a private citizen without an FFL to send a complete gun back for repair as long as you don't use the US Postal Service. I think the factory uses UPS but I am not sure. Personally, I prefer FedEx but if they are picking up the tab.... But by sending it back yourself, you can get it in the mail right away. Your local shop may hold on to it for a few days. Your call but if it was me, I would eliminate the middle man and handle it myself. If you are not home to receive, you can arrange to pick it up after work at the local depot assuming it is not too far away. I am fortunate that both UPS and FedEx are within a 30 minute drive.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah oh well. The main reason i am letting my dealer handle it is that he is the main Law enforcement supplier in this area and he has the contacts. If i send it through him and smith can not fix it and make it 100% reliable he will give me credit on a new weapon since it is so new. He also did this with a Kimber custom II that i had a few years back with the crapy external extractors. I ended up getting a new gun. They have great customer service and prices to boot.

Adam

1 - 15 of 15 Posts