MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 9c a couple of weeks ago and have put around 300 rounds through it. I love the gun, it's accurate and a pleasure to shoot, however it does have one, apparently common, glitch. The slide has locked open with one round left in the magazine. It has only done it once or twice but it is a bit of a concern. I dug back throught the archives and found some information on this problem and it seems there is a possible issue with the slide lock spring? I called S&W and am having them send me a new slide stop assembly (currently backordered) in hopes of nipping this in the bud. I hope I'm on the right track and I'm curious to see if others have had this problem and found the new slide stop assembly to be the solution. My serial # is mpl20xx, if that helps.

I'm planning on using this gun as my primary carry so I'm really trying to tweak out the gremlins. Thanks in advance, this is a great site.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Slide locking back prematurely is generally one of three things.

1. You actually pushing up on the slide lock. Since it is the same each time not likely.

2. Something bent or weak spring. S&W sending you parts might do the trick.

3. Mag related like the follower getting out of position. Take apart the mag and check it for issues. Does it happen in each mag or only one?

Hope that helps. 8)

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 40C does the same thing intermittently. I found if you tap the magazines against the shooting bench so all the rounds line up to the rear of the mag, it greatly reduces this problem. Time to call S&W for that weak spring!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't had a problem with my 9c since the first time out. Maybe it was just break-in. I ordered a slide stop assembly from Smith, which I've yet to install, and a new mag realease button just in case (I've had zero mag drop issues). I've put between 4-500 rounds through now and all seems to be well (my serial # is mpl2xxx). Love the gun, hope the sucker keeps it up.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The M&Ps are a great line of pistols. Accurate, extremely comfortable, easy to take down and clean, and actually they are quite reliable.

They do, however, have a few quirk that most new model pistols go through (any many older ones still have!) that need to be worked out. Not everyone gets mag drops, not everyone has their slide locking back prematurely, I dare say the vast minority have a legitimate problem with their M&P.

They're good stuff, and the ones that are buggy are being sought by S&W to rectify the issue, which speaks highly of their CS and marketing people.

Nuff said.

·
Registered
3 Posts
M- Piece of ****

I recently bought an MP40c and am having this same issue. It has jammed back about 6 or 7 times in 300 rnds. I hope law enforcement aren't using these weapons b/c I would hate to have this happen in a combat situation. I might take it by a gunsmith to be looked at and get a trigger job as well (stock trigger is worthless). This gun has lost my trust and is finding a new home in the safe while I order a Sig 229 SAS which I should have done in the beginning . They need to fix this issue because the gun is not sound.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts