MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish I could say all went well during my first range outing (brand new gun 9mm Compact) but it was not the case. Shooting Speer Lawman 124 grain FMJ and 124 grain Hyda-Shok JHP, I experienced numbeous times, the slide locking back right before the last round (in other words the slide would lock back and the last round would remain in the magazine). It didn't matter whether the magazine was fully loaded or partially loaded, and it happened with both magazines. It also got worse, the more I shot - in all I put 200 rounds through the gun. Anybody know what is causing this? Could it be the magazine springs? Thanks. Confused



As for the M&P trigger, I do hope it smooths out. At this point I have to say, despite the additional pre-travel, I like the XD out of the box trigger better. But I am willing to wait it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
That's really odd. I have the 40c and my wife has the 9c. Neither of ours have done this. I did field strip the guns and put a tiny drop of Remoil on the slide rails after the first 50 rds fired through each, though. It seemed like the rails were pretty dry (bone dry) out of the box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
I haven't had that problem but the trigger is a b!tch.



It feels like I'm dragging a Buick engine block across a gravel driveway.



I'm going to pump a few hundred more rounds through it just to be certain that everything else is okay then I'm going to ship it to Dan Burwell for a "trigger job".



I really hate it but my wife's Taurus MIllennium-Pro is smooth as silk, super fast, way accurate, 12+1 full 9MM, with a trigger like glass. (Did I mention $200.00 cheaper??)



BLACKJACK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Re; slide locking

I had this happen to me with a glock 10mm. make sure your thumb is not coming into contact with the slide latch as recoil happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3339



Apparently it's happened to others. But why only on the last round? That's what I don't understand.



JW, I have never had this happen before with any gun. The fact that it only happens on the last round means there is something more going on here.



BJ, I too am disappointed with the stock trigger and it's grittiness. My XD triggers were much better out of the box but I do like the overall feel of the gun very much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Still have not been back to the range since i had problems i will go for one more range session if i have trouble i will take it back to the shop i bought it from they do life time service for all the guns they sell. They do gun smithing also



Adam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Adam500 said:
Still have not been back to the range since i had problems i will go for one more range session if i have trouble i will take it back to the shop i bought it from they do life time service for all the guns they sell. They do gun smithing also



Adam


Adam, unless they are an authoroized S&W repair station, if it was me, I would not let them work it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like Adam, I am beginning to think it might have something to do with the angle of the mag follower and/or the magazine feed lip. One thing I noticed immediately about loading rounds into the mags is that it takes a bit of angling to seat them - a bit different from what my experience has been with other 9mm handguns. Much smoother and effortless. Whether this has anything to do with it, I am not sure. Very interesting. I am very interested in trying other magazines in this gun since I would have no idea how to alter the lips or follower. Could a new mag follower or mag be in the works from Smith?



I love a challenge (sort of).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I decided since I want a trigger job anyway and Dan seems to think it has something to do with the magazine follower or perhaps a bent slide release lever (very unusual in a new gun), I am going to let Dan Burwell look at it first. The fact that it is happening only on the last round causes me to believe that it has noting to do with a spring. I think Smith may have to revisit the follower but I'll Dan have the final word.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
"Gun Test" magazine (April 07) has a recent comparison and the SW M&P compact failed because of same problem. comparison was between Glock 26 Sig P239 and the MP.



Failure rate was 70% and used three tpes of 9MM: 115 JHP Win, Fed. 124;s Hydro and Black hill 115 FMJ.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
marksaint said:
"Gun Test" magazine (April 07) has a recent comparison and the SW M&P compact failed because of same problem. comparison was between Glock 26 Sig P239 and the MP.



Failure rate was 70% and used three tpes of 9MM: 115 JHP Win, Fed. 124;s Hydro and Black hill 115 FMJ.


That's why I am guessing it's not a spring problem but more likely associated with the design of the mag.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,555 Posts
Kraigster414 said:
I wish I could say all went well during my first range outing (brand new gun 9mm Compact) but it was not the case. Shooting Speer Lawman 124 grain FMJ and 124 grain Hyda-Shok JHP, I experienced numbeous times, the slide locking back right before the last round (in other words the slide would lock back and the last round would remain in the magazine). It didn't matter whether the magazine was fully loaded or partially loaded, and it happened with both magazines. It also got worse, the more I shot - in all I put 200 rounds through the gun. Anybody know what is causing this? Could it be the magazine springs? Thanks. Confused


I'm having the same exact problem with my MP 9mm compact. Occasionally the slide locks back with the last round in the magazine. I had to send it back to S & W for ejection problems and this problem. It came back with no ejection problems, but still, very occasionally, locks back prematurally.

I have no problem with the trigger. I want it to be a little hard since it is a carry weapon with no safety. I find it to be smooth and sharp. I have a MP 40 that has never had any problems what so ever. Both my MP's are very accurate, in fact the compact is almost as accurate as my full sized 40 caliber. If you find out what the problem is, please mention it here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
I guess I'm just lucky
. ALL of my S&W's have always been perfect. My M&P 9c is no exception. Now if I can just find some real wood around here to knock....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TxPhantom said:
[quote name='Kraigster414']I wish I could say all went well during my first range outing (brand new gun 9mm Compact) but it was not the case. Shooting Speer Lawman 124 grain FMJ and 124 grain Hyda-Shok JHP, I experienced numbeous times, the slide locking back right before the last round (in other words the slide would lock back and the last round would remain in the magazine). It didn't matter whether the magazine was fully loaded or partially loaded, and it happened with both magazines. It also got worse, the more I shot - in all I put 200 rounds through the gun. Anybody know what is causing this? Could it be the magazine springs? Thanks. Confused


I'm having the same exact problem with my MP 9mm compact. Occasionally the slide locks back with the last round in the magazine. I had to send it back to S & W for ejection problems and this problem. It came back with no ejection problems, but still, very occasionally, locks back prematurally.

I have no problem with the trigger. I want it to be a little hard since it is a carry weapon with no safety. I find it to be smooth and sharp. I have a MP 40 that has never had any problems what so ever. Both my MP's are very accurate, in fact the compact is almost as accurate as my full sized 40 caliber. If you find out what the problem is, please mention it here.[/quote]



Dan Burwell should have my gun tomorrow. I have asked him to address the slide lock/last round problem and while he's at it, what the heck, do a 4# trigger job. I sure hope I can get this gun to the point where I have 100 percent confidence in it. I ain't there yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Guess it could be worse, like locking back on every round, or the first round.


Im suprised S&W hasnt addressed this, as it seems to be happening more often, or at least Im hearing about it more lately on the net. Ive got 100 rounds thru my MP40c, couldnt be happier. I know thats not many rounds, but Im working on that. 8)



Ken
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,771 Posts
What color are the magazine followers in you M&P9c?



This is just my opinion but I'd be sending mine back to S&W with my magazines and let them figure it out and fix it.



Although Dan might be able to provide them with feedback as well. Good luck either way and keep us posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
m4arc said:
What color are the magazine followers in you M&P9c?



This is just my opinion but I'd be sending mine back to S&W with my magazines and let them figure it out and fix it.



Although Dan might be able to provide them with feedback as well. Good luck either way and keep us posted.


Followers are grey on the 9mm compact mags.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
BLACKJACK said:
I haven't had that problem but the trigger is a b!tch.



It feels like I'm dragging a Buick engine block across a gravel driveway.



I'm going to pump a few hundred more rounds through it just to be certain that everything else is okay then I'm going to ship it to Dan Burwell for a "trigger job".



I really hate it but my wife's Taurus MIllennium-Pro is smooth as silk, super fast, way accurate, 12+1 full 9MM, with a trigger like glass. (Did I mention $200.00 cheaper??)



BLACKJACK


I just read this thread and am disappointed about the trigger on these guns. I have been looking at them for the past couple of months and haven't been able to find one that had an acceptable "out-of-the-box" trigger on it. I just think S&W could do something about the triggers on these guns...the "notchiness" is just unacceptable....and I don't think you should HAVE to send a new gun off for a trigger job to make it acceptable. Maybe someone at S&W reads these forums and they could put some effort in tigger improvement in the M&P models.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
Kraigster, my wife commented last night that her 9C was locking back on the last round in the gun during the first hundred rounds or two. After that, the problem seemed to resolve itself and has not happened again. She has about 600 rds through it to date.



I had no idea it was even happening to her. She never complained and just worked through the problem, racking the slide manually to get that last round off.



Conversely, my 40C has not had this problem at all.
 
1 - 20 of 147 Posts
Top