MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem during a slide lock reload.

After ejecting the empty mag, I insert the next mag and forcefully slam it home. The slide release trips (not generally a bad thing), but it slams forward without picking up a round.

This happened to me 3 times yesterday in an IDPA match and I have great concerns over this happening when I am not in a match enviroment.

Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
(1) Be certain your hand isn't anywhere near the slide release lever as you're slamming the magazine into the gun. Where are the thumb and trigger finger of your shooting hand as you are inserting the magazine?

(2) While it's not uncommon to see a slide auto-forward when a mag is inserted hard enough, it's not generally something you should try to do ... in part because sometimes, as you've seen, it may not pick up a round.

(3) If you insert the magazine less forcefully and then release the slide manually (overhand, slingshot, slide release, whatever) does it pick up the top round and chamber?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ToddG said:
(1) Be certain your hand isn't anywhere near the slide release lever as you're slamming the magazine into the gun. Where are the thumb and trigger finger of your shooting hand as you are inserting the magazine?

I am clear of all controls and I just tested confirm that.

(2) While it's not uncommon to see a slide auto-forward when a mag is inserted hard enough, it's not generally something you should try to do ... in part because sometimes, as you've seen, it may not pick up a round.

I am not clear on the dynamics of why it would not pick up a round. Are the bullets bouncing in the (downloaded) mag and not in position when the slide slams home or is the slide somehow releasing befor the mag is fully seated?

When this happend with carry rounds (hollowpoints) the round nosedives into the frame below the ramp. If I am excited and seat the mag too quickly and forcefully the gun would tie up, not good.

(3) If you insert the magazine less forcefully and then release the slide manually (overhand, slingshot, slide release, whatever) does it pick up the top round and chamber?
Yes it does.

·
Registered
937 Posts
The slide release on mag insert issue is not a feature, just something that happens. As said above, don't rely on it, no matter how tempting it may be. You might cut a fraction of a second off your time when it works, but you'll gain at least a full second when it doesn't.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FieroCDSP said:
The slide release on mag insert issue is not a feature, just something that happens. As said above, don't rely on it, no matter how tempting it may be. You might cut a fraction of a second off your time when it works, but you'll gain at least a full second when it doesn't.

It is not my intent to make this happen. I am actually looking for some insight as to how and why it does happen in the hopes of tuning the gun to avoid the problem entirely.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
My advice: next time you're on the range, put the gun in your opposite hand (left hand if you're right handed, or vice versa) and then try slamming the mag home. Does the slide still auto-forward?

If not, it's almost certainly a function of your grip, somehow you're contacting the slide catch lever on one side or the other.

Otherwise, it's an awfully odd malfunction, since the slide shouldn't fly forward until the magazine slams home, which would mean the top round is in position to be stripped from the mag and fed into the chamber.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ToddG said:
My advice: next time you're on the range, put the gun in your opposite hand (left hand if you're right handed, or vice versa) and then try slamming the mag home. Does the slide still auto-forward?

If not, it's almost certainly a function of your grip, somehow you're contacting the slide catch lever on one side or the other.

Otherwise, it's an awfully odd malfunction, since the slide shouldn't fly forward until the magazine slams home, which would mean the top round is in position to be stripped from the mag and fed into the chamber.

Todd,

I think you might be right.

I am used to the 1911 format (mostly the 3k kind) , for the price and ease of replacement I am inclined to remove the right side control on the slide release to see what happens.

I will give an update.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
sandman -- If you are using a high-thumb grip and your strong thumb where it would normally ride the safety on a 1911 and you have longish thumbs, it's very possible that you're riding the slide release.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ToddG said:
sandman -- If you are using a high-thumb grip and your strong thumb where it would normally ride the safety on a 1911 and you have longish thumbs, it's very possible that you're riding the slide release.

Small hands, short thumbs. I can't rech the control with out changing my grip.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is it possible that you are slamming the mag so hard that your gettinf bullets bouncing in the mag?

Wha model MP is it and how many rounds are though it? With my MP40, I get the slide to drop on a good hard mag change but I always get a round to feed. I my issue is the mag bottom plate trying to slide off on a hard mag change.

Gringop

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
sandman said:

Hmmmm ... I don't suppose you're telekinetic?

When you release the slide normally, do you use the slide catch lever? If so, your thumb will be there and might still be interfering. Alternatively, do you keep your trigger finger registered above the trigger guard while reloading? If so, it's possible your trigger finger is riding the lever.

Otherwise, I'd guess it's an issue with the slide catch or the slide catch spring. Hopefully, someone who understands the guts of the gun will have better advice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ToddG said:
[quote name='sandman']

Hmmmm ... I don't suppose you're telekinetic?

When you release the slide normally, do you use the slide catch lever? If so, your thumb will be there and might still be interfering. Alternatively, do you keep your trigger finger registered above the trigger guard while reloading? If so, it's possible your trigger finger is riding the lever.

Otherwise, I'd guess it's an issue with the slide catch or the slide catch spring. Hopefully, someone who understands the guts of the gun will have better advice.[/quote]

I activate it with my weak hand thumb. I think that you are correct about my strong hand trigger finger being the problem.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
sandman -- while it always sucks to be the cause of the problem, at least it's something you can adjust and fix without sending the gun away. Let us know if that works out to be a solution!

·
Registered
373 Posts
No, your gun isn't broken and it isn't a defect requiring service! If you slam the magazine hard enough, the slide will go into battery. My MP45 does this along with several of my Glocks and it is stated as being normal. It doesn't influence the function of the weapon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gtmtnbiker98 said:
No, your gun isn't broken and it isn't a defect requiring service! If you slam the magazine hard enough, the slide will go into battery. My MP45 does this along with several of my Glocks and it is stated as being normal. It doesn't influence the function of the weapon.

If you read carefully you will understand that my concern centers around the fact that the slide was not picking up a round when this happened. I think I am on to the answer, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
77 Posts
One of my M&P 9mm's was doing this every time I reloaded, the other wasn't. On comparing them, the slide release spring on the one dropping the slide was obviously not as stiff as the other one's. I adjusted the spring to give it more tension and it is much improved.

--Lin

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can never duplicate this auto slide close on reload on any of my guns.

How do you guys do it? Must've had gorilla hands?

·
Registered
73 Posts
My M&P 357 will release the slide when slamming a magazine home, without picking up a cartridge... a friend of mine who was shooting it with me (and has an M&P himself) showed me this phenomenon. His is an M&P 45, and it will always pick up a round from the magazine when doing this, but mine will not for either of us. Very strange, indeed.

I personally do not like this 'feature', and would prefer that it did not occur. Consequently, I have to be more fluid with my magazine insertions, for fear of dropping the slide on an empty chamber and having to waste time sling-shotting it again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts