MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I just have a weak thumb but I have a lot of problems with the slide release. I have to push down hard. Is this a common problem or is it just me. My thumb is really sore. I had the same problem with some glocks I have handled as well. What can be done?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm with RAM, Slingshot. Using the slide release is a bad habit to get into to release the slide to chamber a round. For many reasons including wear of mechanical parts and loss of fine motor skills in a high stress situation. The issue is fine vs. gross motor skills. Another reason is when your hands are wet or cold or you are wearing gloves. When you have had an adrenaline dump and your heart rate goes over 140 bpm, you will start to loose your fine motor skills. At 180 BPM you will have lost all of the fine motor skills and using the slide release with any finger will not be an option.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
The slide stop will get easier as you use it. They are usually tight until they are broken in.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i had a problem with my slide release & a few other minor problems. i called s&w. they sent me a ups next day tag, so i could send my m&p9c back. they replaced the slide, fixed the minor problems & sent me an extra 12rd mag; with finger extension. the gun shoots awesome & slide is easier.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ultra-Armed said:
I'm with RAM, Slingshot. Using the slide release is a bad habit to get into to release the slide to chamber a round. For many reasons including wear of mechanical parts and loss of fine motor skills in a high stress situation. The issue is fine vs. gross motor skills. Another reason is when your hands are wet or cold or you are wearing gloves. When you have had an adrenaline dump and your heart rate goes over 140 bpm, you will start to loose your fine motor skills. At 180 BPM you will have lost all of the fine motor skills and using the slide release with any finger will not be an option.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on fine vs gross motor function. If your fine motor skills are that bad-off, you'd never be able to hit the mag-release in the first place, would you? Not to mention drawing a new mag and inserting it into the mag-well. And holding your sight alignment while you fire?

I just think that if it is too hard to hit the release with out changing your grip then the sling-shot will definitely serve as a stand in. Plus it is slightly more universally applicable. I try to avoid any gun with a slide-mounted safety lever, so it is not as much of a problem for me. With something like a Beretta or a 3-gen Smith, sling-shotting could potentially get you into trouble.

Jason

·
Registered
74 Posts
When my Dept.switched over to glocks they trained us not to use the slide release after a magazine change, we "sling shot" the slide. When we are on the firing line and if one of the range officers see you drop the slide using the slide release, they will say something to you about not using the proper technique to drop the slide. :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts