MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing that a XD fan brought to my attention:

He suggested the slide stop on the M&P is to recessed, and too difficult to get to with either thumb, and this will slow down mag changes etc during matches.

I have to admit, this is not one of the things that struck me when I was handling a .40 cal M&P.

I have just placed the order for a M&P 9mm, to be used for -you guessed it- IDPA competitions. And I figured I'd vent this potential issue, while not a big concern, with the MP forum members.

Let me know what you think about this.

Is is possible to retrofit a replacement part, extended slide stop, like on a 1911?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Or you could train yourself to not use the slide stop to rack the slide when reloading. Go over the top with your weak hand. That's what the serrations are for on the back of the slide. I used to use the slide stop but retrained myself to go over the top. Over the top requires less fine motor skills and will be easier to you to master and perform under stress, whether that stress be real life situations or comeptiton. Just my two cents

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
agreed, the revised slide stop works great. If you don't get the revised on the new, call them and they will either refit it, or depending on your skills, they can send you one to fit yourself.

·
Registered
94 Posts
After a couple thousand rounds, and some polishing, my non-extended stop is finally easy to operate. I'm a lefty, and I run it with my trigger finger.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Knut, if I may echo everyone's reply, the extended slide stop is the way to go. I've been running drills every evening in anticipation of the IDPA Nationals this month and every each one I timed, my re-engagement (reload + first shot) is faster that if I were to run a Glock or 1911. I haven't shot a CZ in a long time but I clocked my fastest times with a single action CZ75 and I think my reloads on the M&P matches that easily.

I know some of our fellow MPers mentioned that the slide will release itself if you slam in the mag but I think it only works with the non-extended version. Mine came straight from the factory with the extended slide release so I don't have first hand experience.

Hope this helps, bro.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
mine was retrofitted with the new, and it will slam home on a new charge.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Jester, I've done that (during reloads) with some other pistols in the past but I've learnt my lesson. I wouldn't take the chance; caught myself squeezing the trigger and wondering how come the pistol did not go bang. Simple, the slide never released like it usually did.

These days, I get my thumb on the release irregardless. Or do the tactically correct thing like what SGtWunder said, rack the slide. Unfortunately, I'm too much of gamer to do so :wink:

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
yep, I never use it, but I thought I'd add that it does. Using the release is perfect for me, I actually got used to "slingshotting" the slide also.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all you guys who responded.

I'll call my retailer and have them check with their distibutor on this, and make sure I can get one directly with the extended slide stop, and possibly without the mag safety thing

Thanks guys

Pics and range report to follow. Eventually

·
Registered
129 Posts
My M&P40 came with the extended version. It doesn't make any difference to me, I use the slingshot method for all my pistols. I should several different kinds in different classes in IDPA, and the one method that works for all of them, no matter where the slide stop is, is the slingshot. Sure, it is a little slower, but I'm not fast enough for that to matter anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got the revised slide release on a recent M&P9.

It was the stiffest I have ever encountered and a bit difficult to use for the first 300 rounds or so but it works smoothly now.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks to all you guys who responded.

I'll call my retailer and have them check with their distibutor on this, and make sure I can get one directly with the extended slide stop, and possibly without the mag safety thing

The SKU# for mine is 209300, w/o mag safety but has the flat slide stop. I don't know if the # would be different just for the extended slide stop (a.k.a. release).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts