MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed on both sides inside the frame, it looks like the slide is scratching the frame from the front of the guide rod on back about 2inches. Is this normal? I've tried taking pics , but they don't show well.Also my M&P .40 seems to sit a little high towards the front. If nobody else is experincing ,I'm going to call S&W.

·
Registered
49 Posts
CJD said:
Also my M&P .40 seems to sit a little high towards the front. If nobody else is experincing ,I'm going to call S&W.

All the ones I've seen have a larger gap in the front than the back. Here's a picture of mine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
gtmtnbiker98 said:
I was meaning pictures regarding the scratches - but thanks.

I was thinking since CJD's pictures didn't come out, he could use my picture as a reference to point exactly where the scratches are occurring.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the pics Ice, my pics of the scratches didn't come out right. but where you have the numbers 3&4 listed , just on the inside where the arrows are there are scratches on the inside. It looks like the slide is scratching against the frame. No other pistol I have has scratches there, I mean none. And also that's how my M&P is seated towards the front . thanks again.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Why are there 5 divets in the bottom of the slide around where you have arrows 1 and 2 ?

Is it to keep the slide at a specific weight ?

BTW - Mine has the cooling gap at the front where the dustcover is too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
jmr said:
Why are there 5 divets in the bottom of the slide around where you have arrows 1 and 2 ?

I'm not sure, do you guys have those divets ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
CJD said:
Thanks for the pics Ice, my pics of the scratches didn't come out right. but where you have the numbers 3&4 listed , just on the inside where the arrows are there are scratches on the inside. It looks like the slide is scratching against the frame. No other pistol I have has scratches there, I mean none. And also that's how my M&P is seated towards the front . thanks again.

I have no scratches on the inside of # 3 & 4. Can you tell what is scratching it ?

·
Registered
372 Posts
icecoldtexan said:
[quote name='jmr']Why are there 5 divets in the bottom of the slide around where you have arrows 1 and 2 ?

I'm not sure, do you guys have those divets ?[/quote]

I have divets, but not 5 of them. They do appear to be a method to balance/weight the slides. It is much easier to make the slide too heavy and remove material than to make them light and try to add something.

MI_Jester

·
Registered
757 Posts
jmr said:

Cooling gap??????? OK guys, basic mechanics here. You have an object (slide) supported at one end (by the frame rails) and under spring tension at the unsupported end. The tolerances between the slide rails and the frame rails will allow the unsupported end of the slide to move away from the spring tension. This may cause a visable gap between part of the slide and the dust cover. You will see this on many pistols of various makes and models, the severity depending upon the tolerances between the various parts and the design of the frame rails. In some cases, the dust cover top line isn't as straight as we might like and that makes the gap more noticable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't have pics because my M&P is back at S&W (broken striker), but I do have the scratches at 3 & 4 as well. Did you happen to notice polymer shavings also during disassembly? That is what I saw.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts