MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for someone will do this kind of work where angle slot was cut on the frame away from the shooter like those gun use for competition shooting or did anyone had them done already on their mp, would like to see pictures...thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Can you describe exactly what you are looking for? Are you looking to get a slot cut int he top of your slide like the Glock 34/35? I'm not familiar with a slot cut in the frame so I asked if it was the slide that you meant.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
lightening cuts. They perform no real function other than removing mass. IMO the M&P doesn't need it.

If you really want some done, you can contact novak's handgunners outlet. He does work on M&Ps, and he does EDM cutting of slides in other models and EDM cutting to add ports to M&Ps.

So he should have you covered at some price if you really want it. He does a lot of work for steel shooters, so the 90pf ultra mouse fart loads can require removing mass for a gun to function.

He'll even machine the slide for an optima/doctor/firesight/jpoint.

EDITED to add:

and looking at those pics, his EDM cuts are WAAAAAAYY cleaner than that. Look like they are form the factory or nicer. He does EDM because melonite/tenifer/etc eat his carbide cutters.

More edited to add:

the website

http://www.novakshandgunneroutlet.com/SWMPServices.html

call about lightening cuts, they aren't on the sheet, but he does them on every other gun he works on, so...

·
Registered
64 Posts
bugeyes said:
This is the thread where this guy did it to his XD

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30488

Ahh thanks! Those are cuts in the slide and not the frame as you asked in your original post. As raz-0 said, those are typically referred to as slide lightening cuts as they are intended to lighten the mass of the slide for competition loads. They are typically not recommended for full power loads or defense loads. Keep in mind that all of the IDPA divisions as well as the Production division of IPSC/USPSA do NOT allow guns to have these kinds of lightening cuts on them. Be sure of what you intend to do with the gun competition wise before you make the permanent change required for this type of machining.

Also keep in mind that every hole in the slide that goes all the way through and exposes the internals of your gun to that much more dust and junk can also reduce the reliability of your firearm. If you wish to lighten the slide while still maintaining maximum reliability you might wish to look into lightening cuts that are on either the inside or outside of the slide but do not break all the way through. If you never shoot in dusty or dirty conditions, or you are never planning on carrying your firearm concealed, then it might not ever be a concern of yours but dust/sand/dirt in a gun can be a real problem for reliability.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I was thinking of asking Mr. Burwell if he would serrate and flute a MP40 slide like the .45 he has on his site. That with a melt job and media blast would be a very nice look.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Mrgrinch233 said:
I was thinking of asking Mr. Burwell if he would serrate and flute a MP40 slide like the .45 he has on his site. That with a melt job and media blast would be a very nice look.

yes indeedy!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts