MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked the service department what size screws I needed to mount a red dot on my new Shield plus with the optic cut. I was hoping to find what size of threads needed for the pre-drilled Optic cut slide from Smith and Wesson. I would like to upgrade the optic from the factory supplied Crimson trace red dot.
After three attempts from Smith and Wesson, I have zero information on the screw size.
here is their latest response below.

Reference number: LTK1114702211907X Please use this ticket number in any correspondence with us.
Subject: RED DOT SCREWS
Dear James,
We would like to thank you for your e-mail and contacting Smith & Wesson / Thompson Center.
Unfortunately, we are not provided with any data for what your inquiring on.
Thank You for choosing Smith & Wesson / Thompson Center products. Have a great day.

Smith&Wesson values its customers and we are happy to have served you today. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance.
Regards, Katherine

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just look at the bright side your not having to deal with Taurus CS. Smith probably just wants to sell you the screw were as Taurus would have you send the gun in and have you wait several months for the part to come in from Brazil.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Blame it on the lawyers.

S&W got funny about telling people anything about their guns. Its difficult to find schematic for some of them.
I'm thinking they must have got sued at some point.

Take the existing screw to a real hardware store and they can probably determine the size of the threads for you.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Blame it on the lawyers.

S&W got funny about telling people anything about their guns. Its difficult to find schematic for some of them.
I'm thinking they must have got sued at some point.

Take the existing screw to a real hardware store and they can probably determine the size of the threads for you.
Ace Hardware or Lowes hardware section can do that.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The red dot mounting screws for my M&P9 2.0 CORE are #6-32 and I expect the Shield uses the same size. I find calling S&W's customer service directly gets me better information than e-mailing them.

Edit: the correct size is #6-32 and I corrected the mis-information above. Sorry.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you get a holosun 407/507k, you can use the screws that come with the optic. They are the correct ones.
The size of screws are different for the shield plus, I have an M & P core and they’re not the same screw holes

·
Registered
11 Posts
The size of screws are different for the shield plus, I have an M & P core and they’re not the same screw holes
I understand that. The screws that came with the holosun 507c and 508t are 6-32 screws that will work in the m&p CORE.
The screws that came with the 407/507K optics are different and will work with any pistol that’s cut for the shield/rmsc/romeo0 footprint.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I asked the service department what size screws I needed to mount a red dot on my new Shield plus with the optic cut. I was hoping to find what size of threads needed for the pre-drilled Optic cut slide from Smith and Wesson. I would like to upgrade the optic from the factory supplied Crimson trace red dot.
After three attempts from Smith and Wesson, I have zero information on the screw size.
here is their latest response below.

Reference number: LTK1114702211907X Please use this ticket number in any correspondence with us.
Subject: RED DOT SCREWS
Dear James,
We would like to thank you for your e-mail and contacting Smith & Wesson / Thompson Center.
Unfortunately, we are not provided with any data for what your inquiring on.
Thank You for choosing Smith & Wesson / Thompson Center products. Have a great day.

Smith&Wesson values its customers and we are happy to have served you today. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance.
Regards, Katherine
Another viable option for getting the exact info you need.....ask a competent gun smith.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The other side of the service scenario......I emailed S&W about a missing rear sight screw. 3 days later I got an email requesting my address, 4 days after that quess what shows up in my mailbox?

A complete rear sight assembly with the screw, no charge.

I have no complaints.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I understand that. The screws that came with the holosun 507c and 508t are 6-32 screws that will work in the m&p CORE.
The screws that came with the 407/507K optics are different and will work with any pistol that’s cut for the shield/rmsc/romeo0 footprint.
I just purchased the 507K and the screws are a different thread than what’s needed on my shield plus with the optic cut.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had the displeasure to deal with S&W service three times (different issues for the same PC SW1911, the third being a part removed by S&W during a repair and not returned). It started in 2010 with long waits, no contact/conversation, no explanations, and extraordinarily unfriendly interactions on the phone. Customer service has been my business for 40 years and I'm not impressed. "If those people worked for me, they would not work for me."

Sorry for the downer on my first post. BTW, I am a huge supporter of M&P products. I only used S&W service as the pistol is a PC product.

Good forum. Nice to be here. Cheers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It is never great to need to contact Customer Service. I have used FMK, Para, Ruger, Springfield. Only Para failed, twice, then Remington took over, as they bought Para, and fixed it. So far S&W has not needed me to call them, but I only have five.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I too am currently experiencing some beyond terrible customer service from Smith and Wesson. Back in October of 2020, I had to send in a brand new M&P 2.0 compact due to jamming issues. They had it for 8 weeks and when they sent it back, there was no record of what they actually did to it (other than them cleaning it). Anyway, the issue seemed to be resolved for a few weeks, and then the jamming started occasionally happening again. It wasn't as often as before, but definitely an issue since I obviously couldn't trust it as an edc. Instead of sending it back again, I just decided to buy a new M&P 2.0 subcompact instead. That too has issues handling 124 and 147 gr defense ammo. Yup, a subcompact that is designed for defense/edc. yet chokes on defense ammo lol.

In the last 10 months, I have actually purchased four brand new S&W's and my girlfriend bought one. Four of those five brand new Smith and Wesson handguns have all had issues where they were either sent back to S&W or should be sent back. The only one that has been relatively issue free has been my 380 EZ. That has had no issues except for the fact that it was manufactured during the time of their current EZ recall, so technically even that one has an issue and should be sent back to Smith and Wesson.

Long story short, I sent Smith and Wesson an email telling them that I still had issues with the compact I sent it to them and needed to have it sent back to them. I also told them about the issues with the other Smith & Wesson guns and that I was not happy spending that kind of money on five new guns, just to have issues with all of them. I asked to also have my email forwarded to someone in charge of quality control, because this isn't normal.

I get an email the very next day saying that Smith & Wesson takes quality control very seriously and that someone up the ladder would be getting in touch with me. That was three weeks ago and nothing. I also sent another email a week later saying that I appreciate that someone will get back to me about the issues, but I still need a Fedex return label because I still need to send the compact back. No reply from that as well. So basically three weeks now and I still can't get them to send me the packing label so I can send back the 10 month old gun I bought brand new and that they weren't able to fix the first time.

As far as I am concerned, I am done ever trusting a Smith & Wesson again, but as bad as their quality control is, the fact they have completely ignored the emails I sent (other than the first initial reply that they would send my email to a supervisor) and have done nothing to honor their "lifetime" warranty (which I haven't even owned this gun for a year yet) I will NEVER buy anything Smith & Wesson again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts