MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, just purchased a m&p 9mm march 07. love the gun. just wondering if i could get some feedback on the "other" polymer smith, the sigma. I have heard a lot from both sides. the main complaint i here is the trigger. anyone have one. im considering purchasing one. the price makes it an attractive purchase.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have one. 5000 + rounds without a single hiccup of any kind, accurate enough,rugged, light weight reliable inexpensive eats any kind of ammo I have thrown at it. You can't ask for more, especially for around $300. The trigger pull is heavier than the M&P but unless your a 6 year old girl or have crippling arthritis you can get use to it. If the gun really sucked it would not be Smiths #1 seller no matter the price. I do like the M&P much better though.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
According to the last report I read from S&W, the 642/442 was the biggest seller.

But I agree; it would be hard to find a better deal for $300.

·
Registered
471 Posts
There has been a lot of bashing of the Sigmas. I think the early ones probably deserved all they received, but I think for the last few years now they have developed into a pretty nice gun for the $$. Their trigger is not the best, but IMHO, you get a lot of gun for the $$. I had one maybe 3 years back for a while. I did not shoot it a lot, but I never had any problems with it at all. Mine was the 40VE model.

Ron

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the info, i might go shoot around with one. the taurus 24/7 also looks good.

·
Registered
573 Posts
My wife and I both owned Sigmas...both 9VE's...for 3 1/2 years. We shot them every week, at least 100 rounds per session. She carried hers on a daily basis. We didn't have one failure of any kind on either gun...always went Bang when it was supposed to. We traded them both for M&P's...just because we wanted something new. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if I couldn't have a M&P.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
SW9VE is a great tool...

My 1st 9mm semi-auto was a SW9VE that I still have and probably always will keep even though I now have a full sized MP 40 and a MP 9mm compact and a MP 45 in DEB on the way. With over 2000 trouble free rounds through it, it is one of the most dependable guns I've ever owned. I could not replace it as a self defense tool for anywhere near what I could sell it for. A very practical and dependable weapon. :wink:

It still goes with me to the range, tags along as a car gun and resides in my night stand at night. How and why would I replace it for $250.00 to $300.00? 8)

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'd say that the sigma is a great first pistol (after a .22)

the heavy trigger pull will teach you to keep your hands steady and pull the trigger properly.

Much like starting out with a revolver

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Sigma is a good pistol, I had one a few years back, a .40V, once I got used to the trigger pull, it was one of the most accurate pistols I owned. I reccomend them to anyone who is looking for a good handgun at a great price.

·
Registered
551 Posts
machgt said:
I'd say that the sigma is a great first pistol (after a .22)

the heavy trigger pull will teach you to keep your hands steady and pull the trigger properly.

I had a Sigma 9VE and I have had several K and J-frames in the past and now have three 686's . Absolutely NONE of these revolvers had a DA trigger pull as bad as my Sigma did.

I've never understood why the Sigma has such a heavy pull. It's a "pre-cocked" striker fired pistol just like the Glock and M&P but it's pull is vastly worse than either of these. My Sigma was 100% reliable but the trigger pull was so bad I traded mine.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Smith Shooter said:
[quote name='machgt']I'd say that the sigma is a great first pistol (after a .22)

I had a Sigma 9VE and I have had several K and J-frames in the past and now have three 686's . Absolutely NONE of these revolvers had a DA trigger pull as bad as my Sigma did.

I've never understood why the Sigma has such a heavy pull. It's a "pre-cocked" striker fired pistol just like the Glock and M&P but it's pull is vastly worse than either of these. My Sigma was 100% reliable but the trigger pull was so bad I traded mine.[/quote]

the difference is mostly that the striker is "less cocked" then other striker fired pistols. The trigger has to push it back further.

on the M&P, the striker is almost fully cocked until the trigger contacts the sear and the striker is released

·
Registered
83 Posts
The heavy,10lb,trigger on the Sigma is a result of a ruling by the A G and it is supposed to prevent young children from firing it..I understand that the M&P sold in Mass will have the same heavy trigger..Am not sure if the M&P has been approved for sale in Mass as of yet..Might be wrong as haven't been to a gun shop in quite a while..Got to go and see,soon..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts