MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called Smith and Wesson today to see if they had any sears in stock so I could buy one or two to work on a good trigger set up....the guy on the line informed me that they were a restricted part, and could not be sold to me...only fitted by them. He then made sure to tell me that adjusting it would void my warranty, I told him I understood this but still wanted the part. His attitude was getting to me about his WARRANTY, so I asked if stippling my backstraps also voided the warranty...He told me,"Anything that alters the gun voids it" So, I guess my desert sand full size 9mm, with trigger job, polished barrel, stippled grips, fiber optic sights, and deleted magazine disconnect is outta the question huh? Does anyone on here know where I can get such sears?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
The M&P Store, Speed Shooter Specialties , Brownells etc. should be able to sell you a sear.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Got the wrong person on the phone!! Jester can sell them at M&P Store. Just switch back the sear before sending it in for a repair, they will if you don't. They will not warranty the firearm if a mod made the "broken" part fail. :wink:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I started looking for them last week. I can't find them in stock anywhere either. Jester emailed me that they don't have them in stock at M&P Store. I checked Brownells, Midway, Natchez, Numrich and Shooting Specialities websites and can't find them at any of them either. I suppose a guy could call each of these places to doublecheck, but I can't even find a part number just for the sear itself, i.e. without the block, so I can ask if they have it in stock. (Heck, I can't even see where on M&PStore the sear is listed, which is the same problem that comes up with the other resellers.)

By the way, as an aside, don't you hate it when people give advice but obviously don't have current knowledge to make that advice accurate in the first place?

If you find the sears for sale and in stock some place, please let me know. I had plans to do the same thing you were thinking.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I called Shooter Specialties today to double check if maybe their site didn't show the sears but they were still available. He said they can't get them either. S&W is telling him they are a controlled part and only S&W armorers are allowed to get them. Guess it's time to track down my local armorer and make friends with him.

I suspect it'll just take time for S&W to have made enough of these to put them back into anybody's hands that wants them. Sears for other S&W guns are available through Midway, etc. In light of that, how some genius at S&W came up with this "policy" is beyond me. Another corporate giant with the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.

I'm going to keep searching anyway as maybe I'll stumble on someone who has a few in stock from when S&W was apparently handing them out like candy.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
onebohemian said:
I started looking for them last week. I can't find them in stock anywhere either. Jester emailed me that they don't have them in stock at M&P Store. I checked Brownells, Midway, Natchez, Numrich and Shooting Specialities websites and can't find them at any of them either. I suppose a guy could call each of these places to doublecheck, but I can't even find a part number just for the sear itself, i.e. without the block, so I can ask if they have it in stock. (Heck, I can't even see where on M&PStore the sear is listed, which is the same problem that comes up with the other resellers.)

By the way, as an aside, don't you hate it when people give advice but obviously don't have current knowledge to make that advice accurate in the first place?

If you find the sears for sale and in stock some place, please let me know. I had plans to do the same thing you were thinking.

I am not certain which people you are reffering to but I listed potential sources. You have to do a bit of the work for yourself (ie obtain current data). On the day I purchased a spare sear they were available or listed at the sources I listed. I have one which was obtained from the first source listed.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok...so are there any smith and wesson armorers on this site, if so :wink: we could use some help on this one. I have varied the gap on the trigger bar coming back at the end (where it almost touches to a little wider of a C) to get some different results...worked good. I mean I am by no sense a gun smith, nor an expert...but I do know what I like and how to come close to achieving it.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I am out, but they should be in any day now...

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I might have an extra one that I can sell but I'll have to wait until I get home tonight to check. BTW I picked up a couple spares at Brownells a while back.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good news!
I had a back order with Brownell's for almost 2 months for the standard sear assembly for the M&P 9c, and I just received an email that it has now been shipped to me, and charged to my credit card. So, they are in with Brownell's.

·
Registered
176 Posts
We're not looking for the complete assemblies -- we're only looking for the sear itself. I'd call Brownells to ask if they have one in stock but I still haven't been able to locate a part number for just the sear and it doesn't appear to be listed for sale alone anywhere on the net. Does anyone know the S&W part number for the sear on an M&P?

(I'm almost to the point of buying the entire assembly just to get the sear.)

Edited to Add: I just got off the phone with Brownells. Both the Order rep. and the Tech rep. said they only sell the entire assembly -- no sears sold alone.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Just for the record, I bought mine from Jester maybe a month ago! Sear only!

Negative and or inflammatory comments are not needed, wanted, or allowed on this forum! Not to mention the fact that TOF and myself piped in to help you out and have both recently purchased a sear form the M&P Store. I believe you owe an apology

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
The reason they arnt listed on the store is cause I don't have any, and Bo's are piling up.

·
Registered
176 Posts
coltman1985 said:
Just for the record, I bought mine from Jester maybe a month ago! Sear only! Negative and or inflammatory comments are not needed, wanted, or allowed on this forum! Not to mention the fact that TOF and myself piped in to help you out and have both recently purchased a sear form the M&P Store. I believe you owe an apology

You're not getting an apology. Indeed, I'll even add that the fact you think my earlier comment was directed at you sort of proves my point, doesn't it? Someone asked a simple question here, and I posted a similar question in another thread last week, and instead of a response with details to keep the discussion progressing all we got was "A, B, and C sell them." Both times the answer seemed ripe with the attitude that had we simply checked with the resellers before posting our questions on this forum, we would have easily found the sears for sale on our own and wouldn't have wasted the valuable time of everyone who already had purchased their sears in the past. I let the response go the first time because it was solely directed at me. It really wasn't that big of a deal either. I took the little information provided and started investigating whether the sears were available at those resellers. Now that I know the little information was not helpfu, however, and that the same response has been given to someone else asking a more than appropriate question -- i.e., can I buy just the sear somewhere online? --, I felt compelled to add my above comment when I responded to that new poster. I guess I now need to explain my comment more. So here goes.

It's like when someone asks "Would you buy model X?" and the only answer you get back is "No." That hardly answers what the obvious intent of the original poster's question was, i.e., to get information on what people like or don't like about model X. Answers that don't provide some of the detail just fill up the board with words that we all then have to wade through to tease out the tiny bits that actually add constructive advice. The forum is a discussion board -- and it quickly becomes a clouded mass when people's responses create even more questions or worse yet, futile follow-up work for the new guys and gals among us. I think the object of the forum is to keep the ball rolling in a forward direction.

If you and others bought just the sears in the past, that's great. We all realize that the sears were available individually. That's why we want to try to buy just the sears now. You clearly were ahead of the curve and benefitted by beating S&W to its apparently new-policy punch. But how about letting the rest of us know some of the details about those transactions so we can maybe mirror your successes? For example, how about initially including in the response what the date of the purchases were? Were they over a year ago or just last month? Chances are it's a much better idea for us to follow-up on leads where sears were purchased from a particular store or guy a month ago vs. trying to follow-up on a lead that's over six months or even a year old. Likewise, if the information is available, what was the part number of just the sear when purchases were made or the part was seen being sold from Brownells, Shooter's Specialities, Natchez, Numrich, M&PStore, S&W, etc.? Maybe there was a part number on the invoice that came with your part when it was delivered? Maybe there wasn't? For those of us trying to buy the part now, it would sure be appreciated to know that bit of information ahead of our following-up on the leads at those resellers. We're all in this together, building upon each other's collective knowledge. The forum is supposed to allow each of us to not have to start from square one every time. Even how much the part cost may be helpful. For example, was it free or did it cost $20? Because the entire sear assembly (w/o IL and MS) appears to be listed at dealer price of $19.80 through Brownells and $18.79 through Midway, knowing what just the sear cost those fortunate enough to buy them in the past could come in handy. For example, it may not make sense to some to order just the sear alone (or continue to search for a place to order just the sear alone) if it alone will cost a 1/3 or more of the price of the entire assembly.

When it comes right down to it, no one obviously has a duty to post anything at all on the internet. We all know it's the internet and "buyer" or "reader" beware. If somebody just wants to post the quintessential "no" to a question, then so be it. But if someone posts that "no" and then gets called on it, oh well . . . this forum now has more gibberish on it that isn't going to help the next guy with the same specific question we're dealing with here. (Notice how I worked in the dealer pricing of the sear housing assemblies above, though, so my post would have at least something M&P technically constructive that somebody might be able to use in the future.)

And finally, to the original poster of this thread, sorry for the slight hi-jack. It's looking like the best option at this time for locating just the sear alone will be Jester at M&PStore. He recently publicly posted that he hopes to get some in from S&W soon. The second-best option I've heard of is finding a gunsmith that has been approved as a S&W armorer (although I haven't yet been able to find a S&W armorer to confirm whether he/she can order just the sears from S&W). Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Mods, feel free to delete or even whack my knuckles if you must.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I ordered my sears from MP-Store. I believe they were $5-$6 a piece.

That is much cheaper than buying a whole sear block for $25.

I don't know if S&W will sell sears to anyone. S&W will sell sear blocks to anyone.

I've never seen anyone but S&W and MP-Store sell sears separately.

Brownell's, and others, may have sold sears in the past; but I'm unaware of it.

My suggestion is to call S&W and try to order them.

800-331-0852

I don't know the part #. If someone knows the part # for individual sears, please post it up.

If S&W tells you no, then get on the BO list of the MP-Store.

Let's keep this on topic.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Actually, I was standing up for TOF and I believe you DO owe him an apology. Why don't you go back and re-read the first three posts in this thread and try to make some sense of your statements then?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
coltman1985 said:
Actually, I was standing up for TOF and I believe you DO owe him an apology. Why don't you go back and re-read the first three posts in this thread and try to make some sense of your statements then?

Don't worry about it coltman. Thanks for your concern but at 67 yrs I have seen many ungratefull types and have learned to simply ignore their rants and raves. I will continue to help others when it appears I have usefull information. I do however know some I will not attempt to help. Ahh, the list grows. Those that insist we do all the work for them can continue insisting but it won't happen.

Enjoy

:twisted:

Edit: For the benefit of koumiss45, The package my spare sear came in has the number 27766 on it. I don't know if that is S&W's number or not. The bohemian can simply ignore my non information.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
I don't know if S&W will sell sears to anyone. S&W will sell sear blocks to anyone.
I tried ordering the sear block for a 45 from S&W today and got shot down. They won't sell them to the public.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts