MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who is going to this match? also if you have shot there last year how are the stages? where are the best places to eat? I will be there to shoot the match and also vending.

thanks,

Bobby McGee

Director of Sales and Marketing

Blade-Tech Industries

www.blade-tech.com

877-331-5793 (office)

253-589-0282 (fax)

253-380-3306 (cell)

·
Registered
533 Posts
BOBBY MCGEE said:
where are the best places to eat?

There you go, McGee asking where to eat again!!

Y

·
Registered
19 Posts
BOBBY MCGEE said:
who is going to this match? also if you have shot there last year how are the stages? where are the best places to eat? I will be there to shoot the match and also vending.

thanks,

Bobby McGee

Director of Sales and Marketing

Blade-Tech Industries

www.blade-tech.com

877-331-5793 (office)

253-589-0282 (fax)

253-380-3306 (cell)

The match is great. I shot it a couple years ago. The stages are some of the best IDPA stages around. They are more like USPSA stages built to IDPA rules. The match was well run and things moved along nicely. I can't suggest much in the way of eating. I shot the match with a friend who lives in Conn. He took us to a really good place to eat but I wouldn't have a clue how to tell you to get there. :?

Enjoy the match.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the information, do you remember if you shot low light stages? and stages that you had to use a flashlight? are the bays well lit? I apologize for so many questions.

thanks, :?:

·
Registered
19 Posts
BOBBY MCGEE said:
thanks for the information, do you remember if you shot low light stages? and stages that you had to use a flashlight? are the bays well lit? I apologize for so many questions.

thanks, :?:

The year I shot (2005) there was one completely dark stage. I think they provided a light but I can't remember for sure. The stage ended up being thrown out, I don't remember exactly why. I doubt they would try that again. There were a couple low light stages but nothing that required a flash light. I shot the match using Heinie straight eight night sites but I think a FO front would have been more benefitial. Some bays are well lit, some are not. At least one bay is a very long (several hundred yards) under ground "test range" (make sure you have a coat and maybe some gloves for while aren't shooting). It was a very fun match and I had one of my best finishes considering the competition (6th SSP Master).

BTW, they DO chronograph your ammo (at least they did in 2005) so make sure your ammo makes power and isn't temp sensitive. The range they were using for chrono was quite cold. They were using their pistols to chrono ammo unless it wouldn't make PF in theirs then they found you and used yours. I know this b/c my ammo didn't make PF from their guns but it did from mine (at the time I was shooting a G35 with some very, very soft Vit N310 loads).

If you have any other questions I'll certainly try to answer them. What day are you shooting? A couple of friends are shooting the match this year but I'm not sure when they are shooting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the important information I really needed that.. I think I will be shooting on the Super Squad Tom Yost is trying to get me on it but I am not sure? I will be shooting the M&P 9mm in ESP and for Production USPSA. I cant wait to shoot the match and finish high I have been training hard and ready to make a name for myself. Again I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
BOBBY MCGEE said:
I will be shooting the M&P 9mm in ESP and for Production USPSA.

I'll also be shooting the M&P 9mm this season, mostly in USPSA though.

Why ESP instead of SSP. I haven't shot much IDPA in the past couple years. Did they place the M&P in ESP or is that just the division you want to shoot?

·
Registered
19 Posts
BOBBY MCGEE said:
I was told that the M&P was legal only in ESP and not legal in SSP but I cannot find anything stated in the rules? I was told by an SO.

If you want to shoot SSP I would check with the Match Director. I know a S&W M&P 40 took 1st Master SSP at the NC State IDPA match last fall. They usually adhere closely to the rules there.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Everything I have read (note "read" since I don't shoot competitively) said that the M&P is SSP because it has enough reward movement of the striker to count as double action.

Per Ken Hackathorn in the Tactical Journal Volume 10, Issue 1

"I have just finished testing the new Smith& Wesson M&P .40 caliber pistol. It is a very impressive pistol. Its trigger system is very much like the Glock as the trigger retracts the striker about 125 thousandths of an inch before it releases the striker to fire the pistol…thus we should consider the M&P to be a Stock Service Pistol for IDPA. The M&P provides a 6.5 pound sear release followed by nearly 90 thousandths of over travel. This combination of heavy trigger and excessive over travel make the M&P a bit more difficult to shoot well when compared to the standard 5.0 pound trigger on the Glock. It is just a matter of time until pistolsmiths learn to tune the Smith & Wesson M&P triggers to a much more friendly sear release."

MI_Jester

·
Registered
240 Posts
The M&P is SSP, but also qualify for ESP. Anything that is an SSP can be crossed over into ESP, or even CDP if the caliber and power factor is met.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I was going to go, but the wait list was way too long so I cancelled.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have shot this match the last six years. Unable to go this year due to knee problems but hopefully next year.

You will need: Night sights and a good (spelled LED) Tac hand light. They run both low light and no light stages. Some they allow light some they do not.

All in all, these people put a lot of time and energy into the match. Stages are very good with fantastic props. You will feel challenged.

The pace is usually fast moving so make sure you pay attention during the walk through for the little tricks of the stages.

Expect the stages to be short and fast this year as the format has changed for the first two days so it can be shot in half day format.

You have already gotten the correct info on SSP unless you have had mods done to the M&P that put you into ESP.

Don't dress too light as the back tunnel ranges get cold and could make you shiver a little in the cold Northeast winter months. I also suggest doubling up on hearing protection back there as it really echoes.

Places to eat:

Match Hotel has a good restaurant and the little night club can be a good time also. Check with Tom Yost he looks well fed so I am sure he can help you out

Check out the MA laws on magazines prior to going. Full Cap for M&P are not legal unless you are LEO as there are no such things as pre bans. Although this is not usually a problem the chance is there if there were ever a problem. Check out http://www.massgunlaw.com/ and if you have questions, e mail the owner. He is a competition shooter and very knowledgeable. Darius is a great guy (Tell him Round Gun Shooter sent you) .

Above all, I am sure you will have a great time. Match is good, Springfield Armory Friday night is a definite DO NOT MISS, Banquet is the best I have been to.

Wish I could be there but I was not sure enough on the synvisc shots to pay the entry fee that far ahead. See you next year.

Regards,

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Round Gun Shooter

You are the Man! thanks for all the great information. I have downloaded the stages and will be studying the intricate stuff. And I will bring some thermals for the dungeon LoL.... I will also bring my S.F LED light as well. Do you know if I can get away with a fiber optic for this match? I will definately check out the Armory too bad you cant make it?

cheers,

·
Registered
68 Posts
Re: Round Gun Shooter

BOBBY MCGEE said:
You are the Man! thanks for all the great information. I have downloaded the stages and will be studying the intricate stuff. And I will bring some thermals for the dungeon LoL.... I will also bring my S.F LED light as well. Do you know if I can get away with a fiber optic for this match? I will definately check out the Armory too bad you cant make it?

cheers,

Don't study too hard. They never look the same on the ground as they do on paper. Also have something to warm your hands just before you shoot. It helps if the weather is real cold.

The Surefire will work. Bring a spare light just in case. I always shoot these matches with a 2 cell to shoot with and an Executive one cell in my pocket. I once watched a CDP Master Class shooter drop his light, kick it, mutter "Oh ****" and finish the stage in the dark. No fun.

As for Fiber optic, on a flashlight stage it will work but on a low light no flashlight allowed stage, Tritium is king. They had 2 stages like that last year and I tried to shoot my 625 with the fiber optic. I really wish I had used the tritium sight I had Trijicon make for me.

I don't know how much low light you have done but the Surefire Technique Ernest Langdon teaches works the best for me. Second is holding the light in the week hand next to the firearm. The cross hand techniques just don't make it. Practice stowing the light or holding it while you reload. It may come in handy :wink: I make SOs nervous when I reload my revolver and move in the dark but it works for me.

Have a good time, and report back after the match.

Regards,

Gary

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
round gun shooter

let me ask you this, does it state anywhere in the rule book that "if you use a flashlight with a lanyard that you can attach it to your wrist and let it dangle with out using any teqnique for example the S.F technique? I have found that if you use a real bright S.F LED light that there is enough residual light indoors to see the targets. Do you think I would receive a procedule for doing so?

thanks,

Bobby

·
Registered
68 Posts
Re: round gun shooter

BOBBY MCGEE said:
let me ask you this, does it state anywhere in the rule book that "if you use a flashlight with a lanyard that you can attach it to your wrist and let it dangle with out using any teqnique for example the S.F technique? I have found that if you use a real bright S.F LED light that there is enough residual light indoors to see the targets. Do you think I would receive a procedule for doing so?

thanks,

Bobby

I will approach it this way, The S&W SOs are very strict about gaming their stages. You could conceivably get a FTDR for something like that. Also, their low light are actually NO Light. You will need to use the light with some proper form to make it through the stages without tripping over something. Trust me, it is dark in there.

Here is the rule they would most likely give a penalty under:

Competition Rules

C 1. Competitors will not attempt to circumvent or compromise the spirit or rationale of any stage either by the use of inappropriate devices, equipment or techniques. This is the Failure To Do Right rule.

C 2. Competitors will refrain from unsportsmanlike conduct, unfair actions, or the use of illegal equipment, which, in the opinion of the match director, tends to make a travesty of IDPA. Repeated offenses reported to the AC or HQ can result in having membership revoked.

Don't make too much of this match. Have a good time and get through it in one piece. I guaranty you will enjoy yourself if you just relax and have fun. It ain't rocket science

Everyone there will gladly give you a hand but they will also give you a PE if you deserve it. When the match is over, you will be surprised at the number of shooters that will be laughing about their performance. It can be a great match but it can be a humbling experience. Last year I totally sucked but I had a good time. Only chance I had to win anything was at the raffle and I lsot there too

If you shoot the all day format, the only good advice I can give is eat a very light lunch. I never eat lunch as I just want to take a nap after.

Have fun

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was looking at the stages. In the stage descriptions does "lowlight" mean flashlight optional or that you can't use a light?

·
Registered
68 Posts
vzontini said:
I was looking at the stages. In the stage descriptions does "lowlight" mean flashlight optional or that you can't use a light?

I can only speak to past experience as I am not affiliated with the match. Last year there was a low light NO FLASHLIGHT stage. Night sights were really a plus.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts