MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone use them? what kind, how much? ive seen them range from 11-18$ for a 5 pack of .40

why are they so much?..

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
a zoom also, i like them, good quality, have used them a ton and have no issues with mine. I think the high price comes from not much competition, plus the aluminum body with rubber inserts. I paid 20 for mine in store, online $12 easily.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I paid $15 for 5 in 9mm. I think they are A-Zoom brand, but not 100% positive. Definitely worth having. I dry fire practice and mix them in with live ammo at the range and have already seen improvements in my shooting in the short time I've been doing it.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I use them for training and they've even been required in a couple of classes.

I can't remember the kind I have but I'll look when I get home <note>

·
Registered
60 Posts
Have been using A-Zoom in the classroom for several years now when training people on the proper procedures to make a firearm safe. A conservative estimate is that I've had 3000 people cycle rounds in various pistols, revolvers, rifles, and shotguns. Many times they would do the drill more than once. I few of the .40 dummies have some noticeable wear on the rim from the extractor and ejector, but for the most part they all have held up remarkably well.

Now if I could just find a .22 dummy that will last. I go through those little orange plastic ones like crazy. (I store the training 22A pistols with a plastic round in the chamber on which we drop the hammer as a final verification that the gun is unloaded before putting them away)

For dryfire in the M&P, I took one of the plastic dummies and cut the rim off so that it won't extract as I cycle the slide. It's basically a chamber plug to make sure that if the firing pin were to break, it would not exit the muzzle. In true double or singe action pistols, I use the A-Zoom dummies.

·
Registered
293 Posts
m4arc said:
These are the ones I use: http://www.stactionpro.com/

They aren't snap caps but dummy rounds.

They certainly are inexpensive enough, however, it doesn't look like they offer any protection for the striker, do they?

For dry firing, it looks like the strike will hit empty space, just as if you didn't have a round in battery.

I'd sure like to know if such is the case before I commit to buying A-Zooms or these.

Thanks Much!

·
Registered
512 Posts
I would highly recommend using snap caps to help with dryfiring and you can have a buddy load a few mags for you and randomly throw in some snap caps and practice your tap,rack,bang clearing drills. I have Pachmyer snap caps for my 9 and I have to echo chooch's evaluation. While I have about 2k or so dryfires through it, they are cracked and just about shot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts